Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 28th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Help needed for Brina's coat

I was talking to a member (breeze)via pms because we didn't want to highjack a thread and she suggested I start a thread (duh!! *L*). so here goes.

Brina's coat, where she was shaved for her surgery has pretty well grown back in, well, the bottom layer anyways, she has the double type coat of the lab, dull underneath and shiny/oily top water proof coat, only the top coat hasn't grown back yet. Maybe it takes longer? Her surgery was 10 weeks ago. Does anyone know of anything I could give her to promote the top coat growing in? She will not touch anything fishy, she'll turn her nose up at meat scraps if I put any salmon oil on it.
Old March 28th, 2011, 01:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you tried the gel cap fish oils? If she pills easily, you can just administer them as you would any other pill. (Ours like it, though, so we just poke a hole and squirt the stuff right on their food. )

I suspect the next time she blows her coat, the top coat will come back in. Fluff and guard hairs tend to grow on a different schedule and at a different pace, in my experience... 10 wks isn't all that long...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 28th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I will ditto Hazel, undercoat for some reason just comes in faster I have noticed. Meiko has under and outer coat and when ever he has been trimmed for terrible burrs or the like, his fluff comes back much faster than the guard hairs. But they poke out almost one at a time in time
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Senior Contributor

so in other words, *L* Im just too impatient!.....I'll try forcing the pills in her Hazelrunpak see how that goes.
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Half Way To Crazy

soooooo
we also need pictures of your pretty girl
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I also have seen (can't remember where) that you can get unscented or tastless wild salmon oil or caps, if that helps
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I had shoppers searching for unscented or pill, not capsule, form for me, no one could find any. sooo the salmon capsule didn't work *L* I gave her one before I left for the seniors home and hubs is not impressed with me....she ummmmm returned it, 10 minutes after I left *L*
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

You could try wrapping the capsule in butter, Melinda, mine all line up for (odourless) fish oil capsules in butter.
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

ok Breeze, these are for you, not very good quality I'm afraid.

My grandson thought great grama (my mom) bought him a chair, it was her cats bed*L* when her cat outgrew it she brought it here for him, now Brina gets to sleep on her bed all by herself.

Brina was sooooooo impressed to take part in my grandsons second birthday 2 weeks ago, can you see the joy on her face??? *L* poor Brina, the things she puts up with, she left her hat on through the whole party
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Beautiful Brina!!!

She has to sleep all by herself on the bed I think she would like her company back..
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Senior Contributor

*L* but her "company" my grandson would eventually take over the whole bed and Brina would end up on the floor *L* we've yet to allow her back on our bed since her surgery, he (vet) doesn't want her jumping off it just yet and it kills me !!
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
*L* but her "company" my grandson would eventually take over the whole bed and Brina would end up on the floor *L* we've yet to allow her back on our bed since her surgery, he (vet) doesn't want her jumping off it just yet and it kills me !!

yes but it's the cuddling at first that counts

at least it's not the other way around it was when my kids were small, it's the kids that ended up sleeping on the floor and the dog took over the bed

soon, soon, Brina will be allowed on your bed again give it time..

p.s. there is 2 pictures in the tjt for you
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Sweet Brina, and the kidlett is pretty cute too! Yay Benjamin, got his own chair! That's gonna make a good story later on you know, They gave me the cats hand me downs! I seem to recall when Halo had her surgery a few years ago that the hair grew back in different stages, so I wouldn't worry too much. Be patient my friend, and take more pictures!
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I agree with DD....be patient and while you're waiting...well, you can use the camera to fill the time Brina's beautiful, Melinda!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
Brina's coat, where she was shaved for her surgery has pretty well grown back in, well, the bottom layer anyways, she has the double type coat of the lab, dull underneath and shiny/oily top water proof coat, only the top coat hasn't grown back yet. Maybe it takes longer? Her surgery was 10 weeks ago.
The fuzzy undercoat would grow back more easily because it responds to weather and has grown back to keep her warm. The top coat isn't shed and regrown as easily, but even if you can't convince it to speed up, it should still come back eventually.
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Senior Contributor

By summer she will be all grown back in...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else