Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old April 15th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Wink What type of bird would be best?

Hi there, over the past few months I’ve really been interested in adding a little feathered friend to the family. I've never kept birds before and I'm hoping someone would be able to give me a bit of advice of which breed/species/type to look into.

Traits I'm looking for (These might be to specific, feel free to remove a few):
- Affectionate, I realize that birds might not be the best type of animals to snuggle up to but...

- Hardy, I've never kept a bird before I really don't want to have the guilt of killing it for a picky reason that I never would have thought was an issue. But I also don't want a bird that will outlive me. 5-10 year lifespan perhaps?

- Flat dwelling, I do not have all the space in the world for the little fella. Plus, with the climate I live in an outdoor aviary is not a logical option.

- Not too high maintenance. I'm a university student I'm not sure I could afford the vet bills for an exotic.

- Finally, as a university student I have a roommate. I'm not sure she would appreciate excessively annoying chirps. (Although I'm sure she'd grow to love them!

I was thinking of a ringneck dove until I heard the maniac laughter. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your time!

-Regan
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:31 PM

A cockatiel.
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:04 PM

Cockatiel's are good, although I find them to be a bit screetchy,
budgies are good too but best to get a young one as they're harder to tame when they mature.

I like these little guys(Maroon Bellied Conure or Green Checked Conure), they tend to be super friendly and cuddly.
Just a random site
http://www.rockportroost.com/Maroonbellieconure.htm

Whatever bird you get depending on speicies of course but any parrot types( like the ones mentioned) I would feed a pellet diet with some appropriate fresh washed fruits/veggies, a little seed on the side. Feeding strictly a seed diet produces a fat bird and they may not get all the vitamins etc they need from an all seed diet. All the birds mentioned love to play with toys, but you have to make sure they are bird proof. I also suggest getting one from a good breeder so you know what you are getting health wise etc..hopefully, there are some bird rescues out there too. You never know what you get when you get one from a pet store and some won't be honest about the age. Some shelters like the humane society in Toronto for example will have birds. Being a first time bird owner a young one maybe better...easier to bond with than an older one, but a bird resuce might be an option as I assume they would work with the birds a little more than the humane society's that have them.
Old April 28th, 2007, 07:24 AM

Great choices for a new owner,another one that is sweet and I don't find too loud is a blue crowned conure.Depends on bird.I used to feed a mainly pellet diet,but switched to a fruit,veg,legume,nut ,seed diet with some pellet.I find it a more natural balanced diet and birds really enjoy picking through different things.
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:13 PM

I really like conures and some day I would like to get a Senegal Parrot, I forget the name of the one I want but he/she is small (size of say cocketiel), green with oragne cheeks. Great little guys, I think they're pricey though.
Old April 28th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Queen

Chickens can be cuddly. To big and messy for an apartment of course.:P
Old April 29th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Cockatiels can be very noisy, especially morning and evening. Love attention and are quite trainable. Lifespan is around 15 years I think. Budgies can be quite noisy too, mostly pleasant chirping, again the more time and attention they get the friendlier they're going to be. Lifespan is around 5 - 10 years. I've kept both and still have a cockatiel. All birds are going to be a bit messy, feathers and seed under the cage. Both cockatiels and budgies are pretty tough as long as you don't put them in a drafty position.

Cindy
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM

Marroon bellied conure hmmmm?!!!!They are a wonderful little bird!This is Kovi my little feathered buddy whom I adore!
Attached Images

Old June 13th, 2007, 09:33 AM

Remember one thing about birds.....

If you decide on cockatiels, which I have two of (both female), you have to think about companionship for them. If you are in class all day and out partying all night (maybe), then you have to think about the bird being alone. Birds love attention and companionship. You shouldn't just get a bird just to have one. They need daily attention. It is a good idea to get two females. Females don't speak as easily as males do so you won't have to worry about excessive noise from them. Also, having two females you don't have to worry about them laying fertile eggs. They will lay eggs though. If you were to get two males they would fight with each other. Although my two girls will fight once in a while over who gets into the food dish first or who sits on top of the ladder, but that is normal. Also, make sure you get a cage with enough room for the bird to spread its wings. Cockatiels are tame enough that they will just sit on top of the cage and hang out, but it is a good idea to keep their wings clipped so they don't fly around the room. Good luck in your choice.
Old June 18th, 2007, 02:32 PM

A cockatiel would be a good idea probably. I started with a parakeet, and ended up absolutely hating the thing, but the feelings were mutual lol. I now have two cockatiels. They can be a bit screechy, but if you pay attention to them a lot they aren't bad at all. They also tend to be a little bit messy, so plan on picking up seeds. They're friendly birds and depending on how socialized it is will be content to hang out with you most of the day. They're a great bird for beginners, and will steal your heart. Be warned though, once you get a bird, you're likely to be a bird owner the rest of your life...you'll get hooked!
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespell View Post

I was thinking of a ringneck dove until I heard the maniac laughter. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your time!

-Regan
First off, I breed ringnecks.
Well, considering all the things you said above i would say Ringneck doves are the best option. Doves don't need a companion as long as you pay attention to them every day (hold and cuddle them for a little while). If the laugh bothers you, get a Diamond Dove. I never owned one but they're about a third the size of a ringneck, but I think those might need partners. I'm not sure about their call but they can't be *too* loud, can they??? Also, you can keep doves in an outdoor aviary all yearound as long as you know how to insulate it (I keep mine in one all year and I live in michigan )
I've never had an adult dove die in the winter either.

oh, and if you get a cocketeil....I'm jealous!!! I've always wanted one but there aren't any vets or petshops up here! And EVERYONE travels with their pets here...
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:56 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDo View Post
Also, make sure you get a cage with enough room for the bird to spread its wings. Cockatiels are tame enough that they will just sit on top of the cage and hang out, but it is a good idea to keep their wings clipped so they don't fly around the room. Good luck in your choice.
Just a note--if you don't mind the feathers and droppings spread around the room, consider not clipping your bird. We've never clipped our budgies. They seem to do much better if they're allowed to fly in the room now and then--used to enjoy cowing the dogs, too But it seemed like good exercise for them and a more natural life style to let them fly (just keep the windows closed...and if you think they'll have trouble learning about glass, maybe a light window covering so they don't fly headlong into the window).

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 1st, 2007, 12:33 AM

Wink About Birds!

Hi-
I'm new to this forum, but I have had birds for over 50 years, starting with parakeets when I was young.

We have had cockatiels and find them darling birds, but they need a lot of care and attention as do parrots. Right now we have 3 Amazons, 2 Goffin's Cockatoos and a Blue and Gold Macaw. All but two are rescues.

When I was a kid we always had a budgie around. They are very happy to be talked to and be part of the family (good to have them in the family room or some room where they can be talked to and playued with by at least one member of the household every day) and, of course, get fresh food and water every day!

I would start by reading some books. Not all books are created equal, and some are pretty disapointing! I like "The Complete Idiots Guide to Parrots" which has information for every type of parrot from budgies up to macaws.

I know a lot of people have finches and doves, and if you are inclined in that direction, I would look for books on those breeds. Maybe the library!

It's an important descision, because once you take your birdie home, they begin to bond and it can be very traumatic for them to be abandoned after falling in love with a person or family.

ALL birds are messy. All cages need to be cleaned at least every other day. Birds get sick if their food isn't clean or the right kind, water dirty, cages dirty, they get too hot or cold, and are very susceptible to injury! I lost a budgie (when I was young) to:
1) cat
2) mirror
3) window
and almost lost a parrot to flying away-he had no idea how to forage for himself or even how to fly down to drink out of our pond!
I wholeheartedly endorse bird grooming-feather trimming. Also, if their beak gets too long it can become deformed and/or they can die of starvation. Their claws need to be trimmed so they don't get hurt. Usually the person who sells you the bird will do the grooming for free or vets are very reasonable. It's part of providing safety and security for your birds.

Yes, I would love to see them fly free, but after considering all the possible accidents and having my bird nearly die of starvation (thankfully it was summer!) before I caught him, I vote for clipped wings!
Linda (KeikoasMom)