Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 14th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcq View Post
Yes I will admit that we got a puppy and I know its alot more work but we can teach him right from the beginning and we can socialize him right from the beginning we don't have him yet but will be soon getting him. I have talked and talked with my son we go over that site. I know its early I wasen't planning on getting this soon but it happened.

Can I just add..please please please do not assume that just because you get a dog from the litter they can or will not be aggressive. It's a big mistake to assume that. You got your new pup from a byb so the chances of bad breeding or inbreeding are very high, so no matter the breed or the day you get your dog, there is a chance the dog can be aggressive.

I live this everyday. I hand picked my golden from the litter, she wasn't abused or hurt before we got her, she was however from a byb, big mistake that we pay for every day of our lives. Huge. We did puppy kindergarden, 2 levels of obedience, agility training, play dates twice a week, off leash parks, hired a trainer, then a behaviorlist, solalized her allt he time, and my golden is dog aggressive and a bully.

Please trust me when I say if you assume that picking it from the litter will help you are dead wrong.

It's not the dog or where and when it came from, it's your situation and experience. If you haven't bettered your situation then how can this new dog be a better dog? What changes have you made to make it work this time around? Please take this dog to class as soon as possible, please train your grandmother and son to respect the dog at all times, teach your dog manners, excercise and socalize it.

This time around there are no excuses for your lack of leadership, do it right this time, redeem yourself so that no other animals is to blame for something that can be avoided. Good luck.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Well-said, Ford Girl.
By the way, what does byb stand for and why is it bad?
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:45 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaekitty View Post
Well-said, Ford Girl.
By the way, what does byb stand for and why is it bad?
BYB = back yard breeder. People who only breed dogs for the money they can make selling them or breed two dogs together hoping to make tons of money because they came up with a new breed.
Basically driven by the same thing.......M.O.N.E.Y.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
BYB = back yard breeder. People who only breed dogs for the money they can make selling them or breed two dogs together hoping to make tons of money because they came up with a new breed.
Basically driven by the same thing.......M.O.N.E.Y.
Money, and for the fun of it, "oh, just one litter". Read the back yard breeder info on here, very good!!!

http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/links.htm

Old May 14th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Geek Club CEO

BYB=Back Yard Breeder.

I have a BYB dog too, also a huge mistake but I didn't know any better, and now that I'm better educated would never repeat the mistake.

BYBs are people who happen to have an unfixed dog (or cat) that they happen to think is pretty special, and they just happen to have or find another dog of the opposite sex, and they make puppies, more often than not, simply in order to make a few bucks, or to experience the "miracle of birth" or to "teach the kids responsibility" or some other equally terrible reason to breed.

The problem? These people know nothing about breeding, about the health risks and issues for the parents or the puppies, they know nothing about pedigree, genetic/hereditary diseases, sanitation and transmission of disease, they usually don't provide adequate vet care, and in the end...

suckers like me who don't know better end up with dogs with terrible health, weak nerves, end up spending thousands of dollars at the vet trying to help their beloved pets, and, like me, just end up with broken hearts.

Our dog is 15 months old, is a foreleg amputee, and is now dealing with serious hip displasia that will require a total hip replacement to repair, and we haven't got a clue how she's going to manage the recovery period with only two good legs. She is prone to stress. She has a terrible appetite and we have to practically BEG her to eat each and every meal. For a German Shepherd, she is dumb as a post. Luckily, she's sweet as pie, happy considering her health issues, and is wonderful with people, including children, and is great with our cats, but things could have been much worse. Her great personality is about the only thing she has going for her.

Not to mention, while BYBs are pumping out sickly puppies by the thousands, there are millions of animals in shelters that don't get homes, and are euthanized.

Personally, I think all BYBs are scum. They're no different from puppy mills.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:04 PM

I tried that web link ford girl but it wouldn't work?
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality View Post
I tried that web link ford girl but it wouldn't work?
Oh, it worked for me when i just tried it again. Maybe goodle: No Puppy Mills Canada. This site was promoted when Oprah did her show. Or you can goodle back yard breeding and find all kinds of details. Most spca and rescue sites have links to info on byb and puppymills.

I agree 100% Bendy, I have had so many health issues with my girl, and I fear things like hip dysplacia...she's only 18 months old and we have spent thousands. She is a sweetie to humans, and of course she's my baby, but the aggression totally blind sided us. I will never make that mistake again.

Old May 14th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

puppies weight when

Poor Skipper. We all had a vested interest in Skipper and he deserved so much better. If you cannot handle this new pup please do not put him to sleep, contact one of us on this site and we can re-hab him and find him a suitable home. I wished I had known your plans for Skipper as I would have been willing to work out his issues.
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:34 PM

I agree with everything you said FordGirl however this thread was asked how do you tell what the weight will be when the dog gets bigger? NO one has answered but most people feel the need to discuss Skipper I have asked the admin to close this thread for being off topic and being insulted. I know people feel strongly about animals and they have every right however I don't need to be insulted in the process.
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:38 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

No one can honestly answer that question, and if you knew anything about dogs you'd know that. There could be a 50lb dog in one of the dogs backgrounds. This is why you don't buy off kiijii or from byb. And this is why you research and learn about animals before you go out and take on the responsibility for a helpless life.
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Performance Spaniels

It's a guessing game. There are dogs over and under breed standard in every breed. There is no way to tell you what it would weigh especially when it comes from a non reputable source.
Old May 15th, 2008, 04:30 AM

Thank you I didn't know if there is a way to tell or not I have seen some ads that say these dogs won't be more then so many lbs when adult so I thought there was some way to tell what the weight was.
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Performance Spaniels

People who make weight claims like that are crappy breeders trying to suck people in for itty bitty dogs. No breeder who was decent would guarantee weight, because you can't.
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That is the same as asking parents how much their children will grow? The pup will probably be between the two weights of the parents, but no guarantees.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 15th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
HI anybody know how to figure out how much a dog will weigh when it gets old the mother is 9lbs and the father is 5lbs? I am just asking

Why worry a bout that? With as 10 year old in the house who might get bit again, I think that in about 6 months we will experience deja vous. Perhaps this time you can get this poor dog to a rescue in time to save it's life...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:23 AM

I agree with everything you said FordGirl however this thread was asked how do you tell what the weight will be when the dog gets bigger? NO one has answered but most people feel the need to discuss Skipper I have asked the admin to close this thread for being off topic and being insulted. I know people feel strongly about animals and they have every right however I don't need to be insulted in the process.

This is for anyone who wants to answere the question. If you can't then don't reply simple. I will not discuss the other topic I don't need to be constantly reminded.
Old May 16th, 2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
No one can honestly answer that question, and if you knew anything about dogs you'd know that. There could be a 50lb dog in one of the dogs backgrounds. This is why you don't buy off kiijii or from byb. And this is why you research and learn about animals before you go out and take on the responsibility for a helpless life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaprincess View Post
It's a guessing game. There are dogs over and under breed standard in every breed. There is no way to tell you what it would weigh especially when it comes from a non reputable source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaprincess View Post
People who make weight claims like that are crappy breeders trying to suck people in for itty bitty dogs. No breeder who was decent would guarantee weight, because you can't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
That is the same as asking parents how much their children will grow? The pup will probably be between the two weights of the parents, but no guarantees.
Tina - You have 4 legitimate answers there, and they are all the same - THERE IS NO WAY TO TELL. So I would say there's your answer, and if you don't want to be insulted about Skipper anymore, just unsubscribe from this thread and let it die.

Quote:
NO one has answered but most people feel the need to discuss Skipper I have asked the admin to close this thread for being off topic and being insulted.
This is for anyone who wants to answere the question. If you can't then don't reply simple. I will not discuss the other topic I don't need to be constantly reminded.
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:04 PM

how do you do that? I don't know how to close it.
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:46 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

just stop posting in it and no one will feel the need to answer you.
Old May 16th, 2008, 07:19 PM

Tina - to unsubscribe - when you get the email telling you that someone has posted in your thread, it will say further down "To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page" and you click on the llink and you won't get any more emails telling you about this thread. And yes, as Aslan says, it would also help if you aren't writing in it.

Maybe, after awhile, you may be able to post questions about your current dog, since you now have one, and the members will answer, knowing as they do that all pet owners need support for the sake of their pets.

Or you could join another forum that doesn't know about Skipper.

Good luck with your new puppy.