Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:34 PM

Has anyone else heard of this?

Has anyone else heard or read about the government of Greece's decision to gas over 3 million stray dogs because the Olympics is being held in their country? They say that this is common practise and that other countries do it when then Olympics is held but it's just not publicized. There is a woman who is trying to stop it. I tuned in late to the news so I didn't get her name but I think she's in Ontarioi. . She felt that public outcry was the only way to stop it from happening.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:07 PM
Senior Contributor

that sounds about right, kill anything slightly embarassing for the olympics. here in sydney in 2000 they hid all the homeless in shelters till it was over and then put them out on the streets once the visitors left.
oh and we all know beijing, china (god knows how i spell) has horrific human rights record, what do you think they will do with all those thousands of unwanted little girls in the homes when the olympics comes in 06, i have a good idea.
and to show your disaproval, boycot the games and preach to your family and friends, i have already told many family and friend that i do not support the 2006 olympics in china and will do all i can to let the world know of this disgusting abuse of human rights,. i have also informed them that it is a personal choice to go but i will disaprove openly of their decision. i have designed a tshirt for the event, i will make several, simply it states,
'human rights before sport, ban the beijing olympics'.
i will be wearing that baby everywhere. stand up fro what you think is right, that is all you really have in this world.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:16 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Figures, if anyone put any thought into it they could have used it as publicity to get donations for rescue/spay/neuter clinics and adoption.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 10:38 PM
Senior Contributor

totally right luba, it is obvious that they have their heads jamed so far up their backsides they cant seem to think up any other solution, hey they havent finished building, i think they are taking short cuts in most areas now..perhaps a new t shirt should be, 'animal rights before sport, boycot greece' or '30000 dogs deserve to live, boycot greece'
now i would happily wear that one anywhere
Old July 22nd, 2004, 10:49 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I was just looking to see if anyone started a petition or something....
this is the info I found so far on the situation, it is all so very disgusting:

Here are petitions:

http://www.creationcenter.com/boards...sages/286.html

http://www.petitiononline.com/OG2004/petition.html

Here's some info:
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Olympics/2...406309-ap.html

Animal lovers fight over stray dogs
By LISA ORKIN
ATHENS (AP) - On planes, trains, trucks and buses, Greece's stray dogs are being transported to new homes abroad by animal advocates who fear the mutts may be harmed if left to roam the streets.

Packs of strays - an omnipresent site on Athens streets, parks and doorsteps - are a sensitive issue for officials sprucing up the city for the Aug. 13-29 Olympics and a subject of much debate

WARNING THIS NEXT LINK HAS GRAPIC PICTURES
http://www.sosstrays.be/nederlands/n...iekenland.html

Petition Greek Dogs http://www.petitiononline.com/greece04/petition.html

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Cont...=1084619596021
With the Olympic Games due to start on 13 August, the RSPCA is urgently calling on Greece to implement a comprehensive plan to deal with Athens' stray dog population - one of the largest in Europe.

The Society is deeply concerned that Athens will be keen to present a good image to the world and look for a 'quick fix' for its 9,000-12,000 strays. This could lead to poisoning the dogs, a method which has been used in the past, or untrained dog wardens catching strays inhumanely
However, rehoming has virtually stopped after media accusations erroneously claimed that animals were being exported for experimentation. Many shelters are now in danger of overcrowding.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:49 AM
Senior Contributor

oh my god, oh my god. i am sitting here totally shocked, crying my eyes out, that hurt my soul so much to see, but that is nothing, just imagine what those poor little babies went through, oh my god i can only imagine the sheer terror they felt not to mention the horrid pain, oh my god. this world is just so so so wrong and sad.humans are such evil ****ed up disgusting creatures.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 06:31 AM
Senior Contributor

This topic was started a a few days ago,when the news first came out in the "News and articles from around the world"by Sammiec.
This news does not surprise me at all,any Mediterranean country does the same,often to"clean up"for tourists,it's nothing new
They don't look at these dogs as pets,but as wild beasts,deserving no compassion.
Most of them were at one time someones pet,cute little puppies,until they grew up!!! I am not able to look at any links,but I can imagine the horror.
In Croatia,they hunted down and killed most dogs after the war,since most had become street-dogs,it's not an uncommon event in many countries.
As for the Olympics,I agree Melanie,I could not believe China was awarded the olympics in 2006,we live in a strange world,where a country with a horrific human rights record like China gets the "honour"of hosting such an event,it's like saying we accept what goes on behind their closed doors.
I have a feeling,starting with the slaughter of dogs,the Olympics in Greece will be a disaster and if I were an athlete,I would be happy not to take part.
It used to be a big wonderful event,when I was young,but now it's nothing but a farce,with doping,political issues etc...
Old July 23rd, 2004, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Grossly discusting, signed the petition how could you not this is absolutly gut wrenching
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:50 AM

Even gassing them would be preferable to what they are doing now - poisoning them with ground glass ect.....sick!

The links below are QUITE graphic - so be cautious.

Canadian voice for animals

www.canadianvoiceforanimals.org/greece
www.geocities.com/jtegos1
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Gassing animals?? I don't think that's more preferrable. Mind you have DON'T agree with this method at all.

Here's an overcrowed shelter gassing dogs! It's not graphic, just very sad!!!

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs....=yadkin_county

This link should work.....
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

That is so sad. Makes me want to go and start a shelter over there. I can not imagine a dog laying there and no one stopping. And the sad part is it does not break enough peoples hearts over there! So sad!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old July 23rd, 2004, 12:38 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Some of the dogs are so bad off they look like euthanasia would be the best solution.

Don't forget to sign the petition!

I was thinking of starting one locally and leaving it at the pet store and what have you , then sending it to the Canadian Olympic officials.

Some of you may want to do the same.