Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 14th, 2013, 11:59 AM

Unhappy Anal gland problem for Kira

Hello ,

Well, I didn't even know cats could have problems with their anal glands; thought it affected only dogs. Kira, my 9 year old female cat is being treated for an abscess caused by a blocked anal gland.

She got an injection of antibiotic (Convenia), she has painkillers for 4 days and I have to wash the wound with water to keep it clean. This is the third time this has happened since last July, always her left gland. I didn't take her to the vet the first and second times (in July and November) as the wound was small, wasn't oozing and Kira was absolutely fine: no change in habits, appetite, bowels, etc. I kept the area clean and it healed nicely. I didn't know her gland was the problem. I mentioned it to the vet a few weeks later during her annual visit and it was difficult to see anything; there was only a tiny, tiny scab and her fur had grown back.

But this time, the abscess seemed to ooze more and Kira wasn't her normally purring self. I discovered the abscess yesterday at 5 o'clock in the morning and at 10:30 we were at the clinic. Since this is a recurrence, the vet thought there might be a foreign object in the wound causing the abscess or the problem was her gland. The vet decided to start by checking her glands: her right one was emptied by the vet. The gland was very hard and a paste-like dark substance finally came out ( not liquid like it should be). Kira cried out but pulled though like a champ, she didn't try to claw anyone to pieces She is my hero! The vet didn't want to empty the left gland because it would have been too painful for Kira as the abscess is on her left side. So the problem is caused by her anal glands.

I will take her back to the clinic in 2 weeks to have both glands checked. The vet told me I might have to bring Kira several times per year to have the gland emptied manually if they don't empty themselves. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

By the way, Kira is on quality can food : Wellness, Before Grain, Evo, Eagle pack, etc. as well as raw that I make. The only dry food she gets is when she steals a kibble or two from Arielle's bowl

Thanks!
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:39 PM

Hi -
Just a quick reply for you......in the form of a specific question (x2) but, while not addressing your question it's about an issue that could be problematic because she has Convenia "on board".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helene4 View Post
She got an injection of antibiotic (Convenia), she has painkillers for 4 days

Exactly what is this "painkiller"?
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:06 PM

The painkiller is Tolfedine. I was offered a choice of antibiotics: pills or the injection and was told they were both effective and that there wasn't any difference between them. I have given pills to Kira before; it's not that big of a struggle but I thought I'm saving her from more stress so I chose the injection. When I got the bill, I saw "Convenia" and I vaguely remembered reading posts about it.

If I had to do it again, I would take the pills instead. But she seems back to her normal self so...
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:22 PM

Thanks for replying. My concern was that Metacam might have been the pain med - both Convenia and Metacam have a contraindication warning against giving them simultaneously/concurrently......and yet, it happens. And, of course, there's the standard warning against Metacam in cats.

So, I have no experience with anal sac issues....FWIW, Google "recurrent anal gland infections in cats" - one of the results I got contains a post in Catster fourms quoting "Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" that says "Cats with recurrent anal gland infections should have them removed." Again, I simply plead ignorance, and I'm not familiar with that book.

Anybody else?
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:30 AM
banned user

Quote:
Hello ,

Well, I didn't even know cats could have problems with their anal glands; thought it affected only dogs. Kira, my 9 year old female cat is being treated for an abscess caused by a blocked anal gland.

She got an injection of antibiotic (Convenia), she has painkillers for 4 days and I have to wash the wound with water to keep it clean. This is the third time this has happened since last July, always her left gland. I didn't take her to the vet the first and second times (in July and November) as the wound was small, wasn't oozing and Kira was absolutely fine: no change in habits, appetite, bowels, etc. I kept the area clean and it healed nicely. I didn't know her gland was the problem. I mentioned it to the vet a few weeks later during her annual visit and it was difficult to see anything; there was only a tiny, tiny scab and her fur had grown back.

But this time, the abscess seemed to ooze more and Kira wasn't her normally purring self. I discovered the abscess yesterday at 5 o'clock in the morning and at 10:30 we were at the clinic. Since this is a recurrence, the vet thought there might be a foreign object in the wound causing the abscess or the problem was her gland. The vet decided to start by checking her glands: her right one was emptied by the vet. The gland was very hard and a paste-like dark substance finally came out ( not liquid like it should be). Kira cried out but pulled though like a champ, she didn't try to claw anyone to pieces She is my hero! The vet didn't want to empty the left gland because it would have been too painful for Kira as the abscess is on her left side. So the problem is caused by her anal glands.

I will take her back to the clinic in 2 weeks to have both glands checked. The vet told me I might have to bring Kira several times per year to have the gland emptied manually if they don't empty themselves. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

By the way, Kira is on quality can food : Wellness, Before Grain, Evo, Eagle pack, etc. as well as raw that I make. The only dry food she gets is when she steals a kibble or two from Arielle's bowl

Thanks!
She is not going to like this but you could do it yourself. First purchase lubricant as in KY non flavoured. What you are going to need to do is apply this around her anus and on finger, did I mention where latex glove. When you reach inside feel around for lumps they could be small either way gently press down on one at a time. Sometimes a greenish film is going to squirt out and sometimes it is going to be stuck on your finger either way this is going to eliminate Vet. This works for dogs and cats you may require assistance from someone
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:08 AM

minmin12-
The issue, however, is not about the need to express an anal gland.....it's about "recurrent anal gland infections in cats"
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmin12 View Post
She is not going to like this but you could do it yourself. First purchase lubricant as in KY non flavoured. What you are going to need to do is apply this around her anus and on finger, did I mention where latex glove. When you reach inside feel around for lumps they could be small either way gently press down on one at a time. Sometimes a greenish film is going to squirt out and sometimes it is going to be stuck on your finger either way this is going to eliminate Vet. This works for dogs and cats you may require assistance from someone
If she has an infection I would not attempt to do my self... one of my frukids has had a bit of an issue with his anal glands, so a few times a week I give him some pumpkin, you can buy the can at the grocery store but it has to be the pure pumpkin not filling. I recently found at my pet store a product called "Firm Up" which is pumpkin and apple fiber in powder, so I am giving that a try.

Also if I see he is having an issue (I can smell it not see it I guess lol) I do warm water compress with Epsom salts, now I don't know if this would be ok for a cat? maybe you can do it with just warm water? Personally I rather not have my dog's anal glands expressed all the time, because I think that is what caused his problem in the first place - groomers have a tendency to empty the glands without even asking first! -

I recently too got a homeopathic remedy from native remedies, but I just got it in the mail, so I have not used it much.

Here is a really good video from Dr. Becker about anal glands
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA9SeHAEyQ4

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old May 16th, 2013, 04:03 PM

That video is very informative... Monday was the first time Kira had her gland expressed so I hope no damage was done. As for doing it myself; not sure I would be able to do it... I'm hoping her problem will resolve itself, the vet said sometimes an animal will have gland issues for a period of time and after a while, everything goes back to normal. Kira is doing fine, the next day after her vet visit the wound was pinkish, not red like before. It doesn't ooze anymore and Kira doesn't lick at it at all.

I will see the vet in 2 weeks to have Kira's glands checked. If they are not hard and full I will ask her not to empty them. As for giving her pumpkin, I always have some on hand, but she doesn't seem to have loose stools, I don't find any when I clean the litter box. Everything in that department appears ok but I do find several small round poo and others that are longer. Maybe the small poo doesn't apply enough pressure to empty the glands? I will have to spy on her when she goes to the litter box to see if her poop is normal. I have another cat, Jadzia, so I need to know which poo belongs to who!
Old May 16th, 2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
That video is very informative... Monday was the first time Kira had her gland expressed so I hope no damage was done. As for doing it myself; not sure I would be able to do it... I'm hoping her problem will resolve itself, the vet said sometimes an animal will have gland issues for a period of time and after a while, everything goes back to normal. Kira is doing fine, the next day after her vet visit the wound was pinkish, not red like before. It doesn't ooze anymore and Kira doesn't lick at it at all.

I will see the vet in 2 weeks to have Kira's glands checked. If they are not hard and full I will ask her not to empty them. As for giving her pumpkin, I always have some on hand, but she doesn't seem to have loose stools, I don't find any when I clean the litter box. Everything in that department appears ok but I do find several small round poo and others that are longer. Maybe the small poo doesn't apply enough pressure to empty the glands? I will have to spy on her when she goes to the litter box to see if her poop is normal. I have another cat, Jadzia, so I need to know which poo belongs to who!
LOL I hear yah, I spy on my pups poop everyday! remember it could be more than just a poop problem though, but I hope maybe this was just an off time and she will be better now, it certainly cannot be fun times for them! I remember reading too that omega oil supplement is good for this problem

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi