Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 29th, 2004, 03:11 AM

Unhappy Help me train my dog to stop peeing in the house

My dog is 4 years old and is really good about not peeing in the house except in my bedroom. I usually let my dog sleep with me and for the last 3 months i have found out that he is hiking and peeing on the corner of my dresser. I do not understand why he is peeing in my floor and hiking on my bedroom furniture. I always take him out before bed and usually again around 2:00 in the morning, so I know it's not that he can't hold it or that he's not going outside often enough. Please help me with this problem.
Old November 29th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Senior Contributor

No one can help you but yourself but we can offer suggestions and ideas.

Have you taken him to a vet to rule out a medical problem?

Have there been new changes in his/your environment that he might be upset with? (Urinating in an out of the way place is often a way to let you know he is unhappy or to alert you of a medical problem.)

It is tough for us to come up with other recommedations until we know the most recent history.
Old November 29th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Couple things....

Is your dog neutered? If not, this would help. You really need to clean the area well so the dog doesn't find the scent at all. Natures Miracles is a wonderful cleaner for urine.

Put something up around that corner, like a pillow or something and he may be deterred. The scent may be in the wood, which may also be a problem.

I don't feel this is a training issue, but a marking territory problem.

Good luck!
Heather and her 3 Golden Girls
Old November 29th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Unless you go to bed really really early, it's strange to me that you have to take him out at 2:00 a.m., especially since he's four years old. My dog is less than a year, and he always makes it through the night... Have you asked your vet to check him out for bladder problems, etc.?
Old December 1st, 2004, 10:45 PM

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions I really do appreciate all the advice and I will see a vet limmediatly to make sure there is no bladder problems that I am unaware of.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 10:46 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Unless there is a medical problem, a 4-yr old dog should not be making mistakes in the night. But since he has shown he can't be trusted right now then you need to treat him like an un-housebroken puppy again, until he can prove himself.
Take his water away at about 7 pm and give him lots of chances to pee just before you go to bed. I would either tether him to my wrist on a 2-3 foot leash (if he is sleeping in bed with you) or on the same short leash to the bed. Just long enough for him to stand up, turn around and lay down again - but not so long that he can go pee somewhere and then return to a dry, warm bed. Crating him (in the bedroom) would be another alternative to the tether.
If he wakes up and seems frantic to potty then you can take him out (make it very business like - its no time for play or loving), but if he just seems a little uncomfortable, try to tell him to lay down and go to sleep again. It might be that this has just become a new habit in the night and he needs to be told that he is to sleep through the night and not get up.
Then get up in a timely manner in the morning and let him out to releive himself.
Some good exercise before bed should help aswell - he will sleep more deeply if he is tired.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old December 18th, 2005, 10:15 PM

I am in the same boat

I have a 6yr old Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog, he started wanting to go out in the middle of the night, now he is peeing in the house, mostly when I leave him alone when going out. It is not for a long time or anything 1hr to 3hrs. he is now peeing on the christmas tree(fake) and some other decorations. I just do not know what to do. He means way to much to me to get rid of him, I have had him all his life so this is not an option. I am dealing with it as best I can but it is starting to bother me.
If anyone has any suggestions, I would be greatful.
Old December 18th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

ANY sudden change in behavior - eating habits, temperament, or toilet habits - must be checked by a vet.

If your dog is 6 years old and just started doing this, you need to take him to the vet for a urinalysis and check.

He could have a urinary tract infection, or even bladder or kidney stones.

So - vet asap!
Old December 18th, 2005, 10:55 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Hey Griffen, when you go to the vets to rule out health related problems, make sure you take note of what the spots smell like before you go. I know that sounds absolutely vile, however it was key in getting my vet to test for certain urinary anomalies in my Pointer (in our case, it didn't smell like much at all, more like I spilled water). LR is spot on, dogs don't just change bathroom behaviours for kicks, so please let us know how you make out at the vet

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old November 17th, 2007, 08:22 PM

need advice on how to stop dog from peeing while putting on leash

Hello!

My Great Dane is 2 years old and I've never been able to break him of the habit of peeing while I put on his leash.

Also, he's recently started peeing while eating his food. He'll take a break from his meal, go three feet, pee and then go back to eating.

What is your input?

Thanks in advance.
Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:15 PM

I thought everyone liked a good mid meal pee
Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyD View Post
My dog is 4 years old and is really good about not peeing in the house except in my bedroom. I usually let my dog sleep with me and for the last 3 months i have found out that he is hiking and peeing on the corner of my dresser. I do not understand why he is peeing in my floor and hiking on my bedroom furniture. I always take him out before bed and usually again around 2:00 in the morning, so I know it's not that he can't hold it or that he's not going outside often enough. Please help me with this problem.
Have you had any changes in your life? new job, boyfriend/girlfriend ect. I have always found my dogs always react to changes in my life, even if they do not obviously effect them.
Old November 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM

My old dog pees all the time in the house

I find it funny to hear that your dogs are peeing in a corner somewhere at at night and when gone for 1hr half or when eating. You should deal w/my dog who is the champing pee-er at home. When i get home from work or out for 3 hrs he will pee in every on my chair, table what ever corner and the worst...on my bed and pillow. I walk him 2 - 3 times a day and he has the liberty to go outside through the cat door whenever he wants. For my sanity, and to prevent him from being thown off a cliff I have put diapers on him before i leave for work and when away for a few hours. He is a 13 years old rescue dog and i've had him for 3 years, if i had him a year or two younger i would have had him fixed, I do think hormones play a big part in dogs behaviour.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyD View Post
I am having the same problem with my dog he is about one years old and I cant figure out why he pees around the house. I notices he sprays at my coffie tables, or the corner of my blanket ( near the floor). The side of my stove I even caught him about to spray my refrigerator and I was looking right at him. Im not sure what the problem is he goes out side to do his business but he does not pee like the other dogs he runs around the yard spraying at everything like he does the house. I see other dogs go outside and take a long pee, he does not do that I dont understand.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Senior Contributor

onegirl, is your dog neutered?
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:05 AM

Hi, I'm new here (been lurking a while but I think I can finally say something slightly intelligent) I have a Bull-Terrier who had the same problem i.e. peeing in the house. I discussed it with my vet and he said it could be the dog is marking territory, or suffering from low self-esteem i.e. his confidence has taken a battering, or simply that he couldn't get out when he wanted to go for a pee.

I'm glad to say it all seemed to be related to his habit of drinking gallons of water before he goes to sleep at night. I slowly weaned him off this habit and now he doesn't want to drink after 8 at night. I let him out to go have a pee at about 10, and he's back inside and ready for bed in 5 minutes flat. No more wet spots on the floor either.

Onegirl, it sounds to me like your dog is marking territory - I found an article that might give you a better insight - I won't hotlink you to it, but I'll leave the url so you can have a look.

www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=765519

Good luck
Old January 25th, 2008, 10:00 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Another drinking problem! Hobgoblin, our Cole also would drink just for the sake of drinking and have to go out frequently. After doing all the kidney/urinary tract/diabetes checks, our solution was the same--just cutting off his access to water once he's had a drink after dinner. I'd love to know what makes him want to gorge on water now and then...

onegirlthe--it does sound like your dog is marking. If he's not neutered, now is the time to do it. It will help... Also, are you neutralizing the odor with a product specifically for that? A dog will continually lift his leg on any spot where he can smell residual urine odor--and their nose is so much more sensitive than a human nose that they can pick up fainter odors than you can smell. If he's marked your kitchen appliances (range, refrigerator, etc) make sure to pull it out and treat the floor underneath, as well.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 26th, 2008, 06:42 AM

Yep. If he can smell pee somewhere he'll freshen it up as often as he can. Wash any spots you find thoroughly with a 50/50 solution of water and vinegar. The vinegar helps to break down the active ingredient in his urine. A big mistake lots of people make is to use ammonia, or an ammonia based product to clean up. As dog urine contains ammonia it's not going to discourage him - he'll still think it smells like pee!
Old January 27th, 2008, 05:51 PM

Question My dog just started to pee inside.

If I'm posting this on top of someone else's posting I'm sorry. I couldn't figure out how to create a new thread.

Our 2 year old Daschaund/Jack Russel mix, Marley, has recently begun to pee in the house in one of our bedrooms. He doesn't do it anywhere else in the house, he doesn't poop anywhere in the house, he doesn't get into anything he shouldn't. This just recently started a few months ago after putting down our older dog who is the only other animal he's known. So now we have our cat that he's finally warming up to and my mom's little poodle who he gets along fine with. However, Abbi was a lab/shar pei/pit mix and they just loved each other so much. Marley would play with Abbi, the lab, like he was her size...and she was rough but gentle with him.

He is fully aware that he did something wrong even if you don't yell at him. Just him seeing that you walked by the spot where he did it clues you in.

We've washed all of the bedding and the carpet with a special enzyme cleaner for this purpose....but he did it again this morning. He has a doggie door which he uses all day long without a problem.

I hope I'm not going to regret naming him after the book, "Marley and Me!"
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:37 AM

Catch him in the act! DOGS LEARN QUICKLY FROM THIS! Close supervision is necessary. You must be dedicated to stop the marking behavior of your dog and you must be consistent. A couple of weeks or often much less time of intense supervision and correction can save you a lifetime of tearing your hair out trying to find a quick fix for the problem. Some people have reported that it has only taken a day or two using the intense supervision method.
____________________________________________-

Last edited by Ford; March 18th, 2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Please no self-promo
Old September 7th, 2008, 04:21 PM

4 years later I am replying

My Cresteds are very naughty when i am not home.
I work all day and have a station set up for them to go on, which they use, but they also use the carpet in one main area.......
I have washed the carpet it seems, hundreds of times. I have used all the various cleaners available from pet stores. I have poured vinegar directly into the carpet, I have also tried pouring baking soda on the vinegar and watched it bubble up, and of course then cleaning with the carpet cleaner. I have also tried adding bleach to the cleaner which worries me about their feet and lungs so only added about a tablespoon to the carpet cleaning machine. I have cleaned numerous times with regular Folex, Resolve and others. I then tried pouring ammonia into the carpet cleaner and even directly on the carpet....and then cleaning with the carpet cleaner. I have studied organic and inorganic chemistry and know to NEVER MIX AMMONIA WITH BLEACH OR YOU GET CYANIDE. I have tried rubbing Ben Gay into the carpet, (but made the fatal mistake of rubbing it on my back and now they like the smell) I have also tried Vic's Vapo rub. I cannot afford at this time to tear up the carpet. Any suggestions, besides the obvious like walking them which i do already.
Kind regards, Mother of 2 Naughty Cresteds, which i am not willing to part with.

I currently have a new plan, i sprayed Folex lightly on the offending areas. I sprinkled a generous amount of Borax and Baking Soda on the area and rubbed it in with a brush.. Now I will wait several hours before vacuuming out the powders. Please everyone wish me luck!

Last edited by NaughtyCresteds; September 7th, 2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: add more info
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Geek Club CEO

Why not block off their access to the rooms you don't want them peeing in? If you can confine them to one room, such as the one with their potty area, or better yet let them hang out in a comfy crate, you won't have any messes to clean up anymore! I wouldn't let any of my dogs have free roam of the house unless I could trust them not to eliminate inside (except when they're sick of course, accidents happen...) Right now we have two free-roamers and one who get the tiled "playroom" with a crate and a paper/pee pad lined corner.

Oh, and with carpet cleaning. ONLY use an enzyme cleaner designed specifically to break down pet stain odours. Anything with amonia is the worst thing to use, it smells like pee and encourages repeat bad behaviour. Get a good pet cleaner like Nature's Miracle at any good pet store, follow the directions, and set some spatial limits for those naughties until they show you they know how to behave properly in the house.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:05 PM

I can't believe I did not think of keeping them confined!

I will try Nature's Miracle again; making sure I follow directions carefully.
BTW I think the Ammonia made their problem worse.
I will have to add doors to one area to confine them, don't know why I did not do that b4! Can't believe what a dummy I have been.
Thanks for the advice!!
Old September 9th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Geek Club CEO

baby gates work really well as room barriers for non-escape-artist dogs.
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:08 PM

Cresteds are very agile and can jump very high, mine also likes to climb, but i blocked off the kitchen with their bedded crate and another crate on top that Dude previously ate his way out of,,,,things seem to be going quite well! Thanks again for great advice!
Old September 13th, 2008, 12:52 PM

welllllll....
The kitchen blockade was working great for 2 nights, then I came home from work last night and found out that Dude jailbroke Euodia out of the kitchen and they both greeted me at the front door...
The good news is they did not pee in the living room or do any other naughty things that I could detect.
I don't know how he opened the door, but I should have named him Houdini Dog.
Will try again Monday when I have to work 14.5 hours, to help pay for his mri and spinal tap for brain problems. He is doing just great so that is the most important.
Old September 13th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Try plain white vinegar. It works.
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Smile

We are all Happy!
Dogs are happy staying in 1 room while I am at work. And no more peepee and odors! Using Nature's Miracle and Bendy recommended..
thanks everyone!
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Geek Club CEO

Yay! Glad things are working (and smelling) better for you!
Old January 2nd, 2009, 09:58 PM

Unhappy Help me!!!

I have a Italian Greyhound that is only 6 months old. Unfortunately I can't break his bad habit of peeing in the house (wherever he likes). I have tried to block off rooms and even the kitchen (his favorite spot), constantly cleaning his pee spots along with his poo spots, take him out constantly and praise him when he potties outside, but nothing seems to work. His previous owner never took him outside and I fear that his habit of peeing and pooing constantly in the house will not improve. I have never owned a small dog before (always had Labs) and I need all the help I can get when it comes to potty training small dogs. Please if anyone has any kind of advice for me I will gladly put it into motion ASAP!!!

Tags
training