Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 30th, 2015, 01:24 PM

Puppy Making Hacking Noise

So I have a new puppy that makes the noise the chi does in the video. It is a quick fast hack noise. (not a cough) He does it a few times a day for the last 7 months. Been to three different vets and they all say don't worry about it but they have no idea why he does it.

History: He eats very fast - he sometimes spits up yellow bile - he eats anything he can get his mouth on and I am sure some of it he swallows before I can get it from him. Also he is very itchy. Anyone have a dog that does this. Thanks

http://youtu.be/lN1L1pXdfZM
Old January 30th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor

What breed is the puppy , does it have long fur or short fur? Is it up to date on all it shots ? Did the vet take any ex rays to see if your had any wrong with him ? My dog had a hacking cough and had bronchitis and kennel cough .
Old January 30th, 2015, 02:00 PM

He is a yorkie and he has had a bunch of tests and nothing shows up. He acts fine otherwise
Old January 30th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog is mini poodle mix and it all licking himself like a cat and he had hacked up a fur ball . I was wondering if your dog is doing this too and has fur ball stuck in his throat .
Old January 30th, 2015, 07:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

A video of your yorkie would definitely be helpful. Does he do it in a particular circumstance or does it happen any time, any where, regardless of what might be going on?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 31st, 2015, 04:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I can't hear the video you posted (problem with my laptop), but my girl used to make a quick hack when she was young. I think one cause was from collar damage and the trachea. But the other is because she has a lot of digestive issues, and her esophagus appears to be irritated. If she is throwing up bile, I would be more inclined to think that the hack could be throat irritation from digestion issues, or even an allergy.

What are you feeding?
Old January 31st, 2015, 08:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Reverse sneezing? Here's a video link. You could look for others 'cause they all sound a bit different. I don't know which video you are referring to here but does this seem similar? If so, my puppy grew out of it, but he was not as bad as this dog. My pup would do just one or two small snorty sneezes, this one goes on longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk
Old January 31st, 2015, 08:34 AM

Good point, Longblades! I had a pit bull (RIP dearest girl) who did the reverse sneezing thing on occasion. Come to think of it she did a dry hacking thing every now and then as well. It wasn't frequent enough to be worrisome, though.
Now this might be right out in left field but Mindy10, you mentioned that your puppers is really itchy, what's the humidity level like in your house? My current dog, Carly, was really itchy, too. We burn wood in the winter for heat and once I started putting pans of water near a couple of heat vents, she became much more comfortable. Could it may-be explain the hacking due to dry air?
Old January 31st, 2015, 04:30 PM

I too was wondering if it is reflux. He eats natural balance duck and potatoes no grain and it only has 10% fat but my husband gives him table scraps sometime s. Also he swallows everything he can get his mouth on. Maybe I should try pepCid ac.
Old January 31st, 2015, 08:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I would try probiotics before the pepcid. Some cases of reflux, oddly enough, can be from low stomach acid. Pepcid, and the like, can also encourage the growth of some of the bad bugs. I tend to only try the pepcid when I am trying to manage a symptom, rather than cure it.

My dog is allergic to weird things like potatoes and peas, so pinning down a sensitivity can be tricky.
Old January 31st, 2015, 08:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I had the Nutriscan saliva test done on my boy. We thought his summer time itchies were entirely seasonal environmental but then he had some ear troubles last winter, again a bit this winter, and I just wanted to know if there might be a food intolerance/sensitivity as these kinds of problems tend to just get worse. Yup, a few foods he should not eat. Only a few, his problems ARE mostly seasonal environmental. Maybe you, OP and MaxaLisa, would like to research it a bit?

http://www.nutriscan.org/
Old February 1st, 2015, 09:32 AM

Great link, Longblades! I love Dr. Dodds! Thanks so much.
Old February 1st, 2015, 07:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I chose to test for allergies through spectrum labs instead, since it gave me a more complete profile, but it's important to know that different tests give info about sensitivities vs allergies, and all of those things can cause problems. Definitely things that should be looked into when there are bile and throat issues!
Old February 1st, 2015, 07:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Longblades, I think it's great that you ran the test and found something that helped. It's so nice to have that available for us to use!
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:08 PM

How much does it cost for the testing. Does it tell you what food they are sensative to that can be causing the allergies or acid reflux
Old February 2nd, 2015, 04:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Any food where there is a sensitivity or allergy can cause reflux, so there really is a lot of trial and error sometimes.

Here are Jazz's results, she was only 10 months at the time and was on a limited diet, so there's a good chance that her food allergies would be greater now.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...nosticedit.jpg (It says she is a dachshund, but she isn't, she's a mix.)

The cost depends on your vet. Usually the vet will mark their cost up quite a bit, and charge about $350 for the testing. My vet called the lab and set the account up, but I sent in the blood, so I paid about half that, plus the charge for the appointment and blood draw. It was worth it to me - about the time Jazz turned 3, her allergies were out of control and we started oral allergy shots last summer, and they have helped a lot. The vet was able to use her old results, so in the long run, it saved me money.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy10 View Post
How much does it cost for the testing. Does it tell you what food they are sensative to that can be causing the allergies or acid reflux
The Nutriscan details are all at the Nutriscan link above.

I have recently heard about another one. No personal experience with it and I don't know how widely it's available but here is the link:

http://www.glacierpeakholistics.com/...Test_p_80.html

MaxaLisa, is there a link for the one you did?

Mindy, there is also the Dermatology Vet route. I looked into this too, much, much more expensive for me, involved greater distance to travel. A Derm Vet will probably use a blood draw or do skin scrapings or shave a patch of skin and do many tiny scratchings with the usual suspect things. Nutriscan only tests food items but a Derm Vet might do scrapings with seasonal environmental things like Birch Tree pollen, which is a common one for dogs and humans.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

deleted

Last edited by Barkingdog; February 3rd, 2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 11:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I *think* the Derm vet I use only does blood testing for the skin allergies, not the food. I found having the food VERY helpful. Some vets still only do skin scrapings? I did start Jazz on oral allergy therapy, which has helped her.

Here's the link to spectrum labs - the info in the vet section is more informative, but if you call, they will only talk to vets.

I actually did the glacier peak one too - I was trying to find anyway I could to help my girl, while I was still trying to figure out what her issues where. Here were those results:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...012_Page_1.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...012_Page_2.jpg

They didn't quite match up. This test is done using muscle testing, which is an energy technique.

Nutriscan uses saliva testing which tests for intolerances.

Spectrum uses blood, which tests for food allergies.

All different types of immune responses!