Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 22nd, 2005, 08:28 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Dr Billinghurst article on raw

Here you can find an response by Dr Billinghurst to a recent article on raw feeding in the magazine, Dogs in Canada.
http://k9joy.com/dogarticles/TheRawTruth.php
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Love all creatures

Its an interesting article...

But I have noticed something about the famous raw or barf revolution..

Alot of people are either completely against it, or completely for it.....they either believe NO dog should be on it, or every dog will thrive and live to be 239 years old on a raw diet.....this is wrong....I'm not a fan of kibble, but I'm also not absolutely crazy in love with the raw diet either..

I think the most important thing to consider is that raw is not appropriate for every dog...some dogs do great on it, but some don't...and certain dogs have in fact rejected the diet and have died from it..

so, I think it would be much more reasonable for "both sides" to agree to disagree and simply state that you should feed your dog what best suits him or her...
Old September 27th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest
so, I think it would be much more reasonable for "both sides" to agree to disagree and simply state that you should feed your dog what best suits him or her...
Kayla has thrived on the raw diet since I started her on it 6 months ago. Her coat is like silk, her teeth white and very clean and her overall 'temperament' changed after I started her on it. It didn't get rid of the allergies, but they are easier to control on the raw diet. (I feed her turkey and veggies and nothing else right now). Beef seems to be a problem.

However, whether the dog does well on the diet or not isn't as big an issue as...Can you afford to feed the raw diet to your dog? Turkey isn't cheap and turkey carcasses are not that easy to obtain. You have to be truly dedicated to this form of feeding to keep up with the shopping routine and expense of it. Many days I have thought about going back to kibble, but alas...I just can't do it. She loves it too much!

Me and Kayla
Old September 27th, 2005, 04:41 PM

I'm in the middle. I would feed raw, but I don't have the money for it. Maybe later on. (I'm also worried about being fully responsible for my doggies' nutrition..)
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:13 PM

raw vs. bagged kibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I'm also worried about being fully responsible for my doggies' nutrition..
I don't understand how this is different if you don't feed raw. If you choose to feed a bagged kibble, aren't you still as fully responsible for your dog's nutrition based on this choice??
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:17 PM

I don't balance it. That's the difference. I decide what food is best, but on a day to day basis, I'm not the one who has to be hands on about making sure she gets enough of every vitamin. You know what I mean? I can barely balance my own diet...
Old September 29th, 2005, 07:27 AM

I'm neither for nor against feeding raw or home cooked meals. They have their pros and cons, just like already prepared food.

When you feed raw or even home cooked meals, you choose the quality of your ingredients. This is a bonus. But, you are also fully responsible in making sure that you are feeding a nutrionally balanced meal, otherwise you are going to have a sick dog.

On a side note, October's issue of Dog's In Canada magazine has an article that continues from last month's issue.