Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:01 PM
Senior Contributor

puppy stolen from teens arms in Ottawa

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa.../14465846.html

The last thing Dayne Cyr heard was the sound of his seven-week old puppy yelping, as dog-nappers grabbed it by the neck and drove off.

The 18-year-old said he was out for a walk Sunday afternoon with Sugar — a mixed breed female that looks a little like a pit bull — when he turned into the Burger King parking lot on St. Laurent Blvd. to get the pooch some water.

He said he was walking towards the stairs going into the restaurant when an a man in the passenger seat of an approaching car reached out and pulled the dog from his arms.

Cyr chased the car out of the parking lot and watched it drive south on St. Laurent and turn off towards Smyth Rd.

The car is described as a grey or silver Pontiac G6. He wasn’t able to get the licence plate number.

He said the man who took the dog — which actually belongs to his mother Jackie — looked familiar.

“I’ve seen him once or twice before," said Cyr. “I’ve seen him on the bus.”

He said he doesn’t know the man’s name and has no idea who he is.

The pet is named Sugar because it is completely white.

“It yelped and it upset me,” said Cyr. “As soon as they took off with it I tried grabbing the car, but they took off too fast and I really couldn’t do anything.”

The value of the dog is not known, but police are classifying the theft as being under $5,000. The puppy was a gift to Cyr’s mother from a friend of the family.

“We got it for free, but it’s still priceless to her,” he said.

Cyr and his mom have been canvassing the neighbourhood looking for their dog and letting others know to keep an eye out for possible dog-nappers. Jackie said police told the family this is the second report of a dog theft since May.

Police couldn’t confirm this.

When driving around looking for the puppy, Jackie said they bring their other dog, 11-year-old Bailey, with them.

“We tell her ‘look for Sugar,’ and she starts crying,” Jackie said.

Police are investigating the incident. Officers said Cyr is expected to come in this week and give a written statement because some of the details reported here differ from what he told officers Sunday.

Cyr said the man who grabbed the puppy had long black hair, a goatee and was wearing a black hat. He said the man appeared to be of Middle Eastern descent. In addition to him, there were two others — the driver and a back-seat passenger.

Anyone with information should call Ottawa police at 613-236-1222.

doug.hempstead@sunmedia.ca
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope the dog is found, safe and sound
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

oh so do I, poor thing must be so scared
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
-

wtf is wrong with people ? to steel a puppy from someone's arms ...
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

that is terrible!! The poor puppy and the poor family!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 23rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa.../14465846.html

Police are investigating the incident. Officers said Cyr is expected to come in this week and give a written statement because some of the details reported here differ from what he told officers Sunday.

doug.hempstead@sunmedia.ca
hmmmmmm, I feel just awful if this whole thing is true, but some things just don't feel right about this story

There may be a whole other side, we don't even know! Maybe the "dog napper" was actually saving the dog........just a thought. There are 2 sides to every story.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
Mickey, my angel

I agree something seems not quite right about this. Whatever the story, I just hope the little puppy is safe and well.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
“It yelped and it upset me,” said Cyr. “As soon as they took off with it I tried grabbing the car, but they took off too fast and I really couldn’t do anything.”
"It" has a name, Cyr...it's Sugar. That strikes me as a big "not quite right"....

But then, I'm quite frequently wrong!

And I do hope Sugar makes it back to her Mum quickly!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 24th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Senior Contributor

the pup was found alone in a field yesterday by passerbys and handed into the police who returned it to the home. they are investigating, my son who lives in ottawa was not surprised one bit about this story, "snatch and run" from cars is some big thing there now, said it happens mostly at corners when pedestrians are crossing and cars turn right, back seat passenger will reach out and grab anything, shopping bags, purses.....some fad huh? geesh...
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
the pup was found alone in a field yesterday by passerbys and handed into the police who returned it to the home. they are investigating, my son who lives in ottawa was not surprised one bit about this story, "snatch and run" from cars is some big thing there now, said it happens mostly at corners when pedestrians are crossing and cars turn right, back seat passenger will reach out and grab anything, shopping bags, purses.....some fad huh? geesh...
Thank you for the update Melinda. So glad the pup was found. I had very bad visions of the possibilites on why someone would do such a thing. Strange people out there.
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:04 PM
-

I'm so glad he was found !
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Thank dawg they found the pup!!!

So this is a fad thing? A thrill thing? Just snatch something (a puppy, perhaps) and drive off, but not sell it or plan to do anything with it? Just so completely peculiar...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 25th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Senior Contributor

its a theft thing Hazel.....purse snatching, the pup was probably going to be sold but then there was so much publicity