Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old October 1st, 2006, 04:58 PM

what is maggie?

People always ask what type of breed my dog is and all i can say is that i dont know. I usually tell everyone that she is a mutt. I look up breeds all of the time to try to figure out what type she is. Her disposition is awesome. She is defensive of her turf but friendly when i let people in. She is very loyal and i never even need a leash. She is one of the smartest dogs i have ever come across. She is a very quick runner and really muscular even though she is skinny. She is very curious and loves to tree squirrel, she attempts to climb the tree after them. Her fur is wiry and soft and fuzzy according to the part of the body you look at. So if you have any ideas let me know. I want to make sure that she gets the excerise that she needs, and usually breed information helps with that. Plus i want to know what diseases to look for. Thanks.

sorry i have to figure out how to put pics on here...

She is also reserved towards strangers. I found her as a stray, and the vets didnt even want to take a shot in the dark.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:20 AM

finally figured it out

ok so here are the pics of maggie. I have no idea what breed she is... my best guess was rhodesian ridgeback mix but she doesnt have a ridge at all. I have no idea. Help?
Attached Images

Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I firmly believe you have a basenji mix. the white tips of paws and white tip of tail..the fur... your maggie looks alot like my tucker - who is a basenji-mix. in fact, when i first saw this post - all the things you wrote are TOTALLY BASENJI, especially this....

- She is very curious and loves to tree squirrel, she attempts to climb the tree after them.

(my dog can, and did, climb up after a squirrel)

well, read up my friend, on Basenji's. it's a life changing experience.

btw - basenji's get a "ridgie" mohawk... like a ridgeback.. so that's probably why they assumed that.

here's some pics of my boy... I hope you see the similarities...

my boy is basenji-boxer, 48lbs now (at 1-1/2 yrs old)
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

if you need basenji info, let me know. I'd be happy to send you some stuff on the breed. it's not an easy breed...and there are specific health issues - that even mixes need to be concerned about. (Fanconi)

Your maggie looks like she could of come from the same litter as my boy, Tucker...
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I think maybe a Boxer/Lab mix

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

The way his tail curls up. and they way his ears want to stand, kinda reminds me of an Akita, and the paws with spots maybe a Beagle.....So my second guess is either GSD or Akita/ Beagle mix .

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:10 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

My GSD mix has the same floopy ears as Maggiemay's pup, but that's about it:

Maggie has a very smooth coat, the GSD mixes and PB's that I have known, almost never (again, only personal experience) have smooth coats, they wind up with a typical shepherd coat - somewhat floofy, longer hair shaft, multicolored and very hard to get shiny. Maggie's coat reminds me in texture more of my pointers. I'm with jessi on this one, I think you've got a really adorable Basenji mix, who just so happens to be 100% purebred cuteness

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I think Jessie has it but I also see Ridgeback too. But what a cutie and love those ears.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:51 PM

definately basenji

so i looked up the qualities of a basenji and that is definately my maggie. Im not sure what she is mixed with but she is definately a mix. thanks alot. My maggie is a high energy escape artist with a love to shred my sheets. haha. i definately plan on taking her on at least on walk a day now that i see her need for it. Uh if anyone knows a really good site for this breed could you let me know. And i was wondering if anyone knows of a good way for me to exercise her... i am able to let her off a leash in public and she always sticks around me. So i want to find a way for her and me to have fun together. thank you so much.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:42 PM
Honest Contributor

you could teach her to play frisbee! i've always wanted a frisbee dog... sigh!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old October 4th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemay
so i looked up the qualities of a basenji and that is definately my maggie. Im not sure what she is mixed with but she is definately a mix. thanks alot. My maggie is a high energy escape artist with a love to shred my sheets. haha. i definately plan on taking her on at least on walk a day now that i see her need for it. Uh if anyone knows a really good site for this breed could you let me know. And i was wondering if anyone knows of a good way for me to exercise her... i am able to let her off a leash in public and she always sticks around me. So i want to find a way for her and me to have fun together. thank you so much.
one walk a day isn't enough excerise for a Basenji. it's a start, but they need to RUN. basenji's will make their own fun (i.e. shredding stuff) when bored. a tired basenji is a GOOD basenji.

as for sites, start here: http://www.basenji.org/

agility is a GREAT way to exercise, enforce commands, and strengthen your bond.
Old October 5th, 2006, 02:14 PM

yea shredding

maggie definately has a habit of destoying things... i have lost many blankets, shoes, furniture, books, toys...to her. hmmm so i should run her. ok that i will attempt. I also have another question. I leave maggie in her kennel in the morning and she is starting to whine..scream i guess it what my roommates say, if i run her in the morning will that ease her anxiety in the morning or increase it? Do you think that running her in the morning and walking her at night would be enough? thanks for all the help.
Old October 5th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Running her would be good because then she will be tired and therefore sleep for a while and not be shredding things. Also a frozen kong will keep her occupied if you fill it with good stuff.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog