Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 4th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Angry why oh why

Ok,I'm ticked.

I'll try and make this short.

Last year a good friend of mine decided she wanted a pup.I did ask her about adopting or going to a rescue.She had her heart set on a Bichon.She didn't want to do either.

She said she wanted to go to a breeder.K,so mentioned to her how to look for a licenced reputable breeder.Well she ended up with 2,brother/sister..Lets just say she got them from a BYB..Won't go into how I know right now.They are a little over a year now.They have had many health problems.They are always have knotts in their fur all over.She lets them eat anything.I mean cheesies,chips,fries,ect.They are a bit over weight.She got in poop from the vet.She had dry food all over the house.NOT needed.

Ok,here is what ticks me off.

She just BOUGHT another pup.A Bichon/Shi tzu mix from a BREEDER. .......I just shook my head.

My comment to that she didn't like was,oh a byb breeder.She said no a breeder.I said I guess it didn't sink in your head when I told you the difference between a licenced reputable breeder and a BYB.

She said yes.When she was younger her parents bred Afghans...And I told her that that's considered being a BYB breeder cause they were not tested,showed,members of any other groups,ect.

I guess you just can't educate everyone no matter how hard you try....Even the older ones.

Sorry for the long vent....I tried to let my anger out at the gym,but it didn't work.
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:08 AM
banned user

(((mona)))
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you.

Guess that's what I needed.
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Don'tcha just want to smack people like that upside the head with a cast iron frying pan?
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

I feel your pain, Mona! Personally, I am unable to continue friendships with people whose morals are so drastically different than mine.

You might want to show your friend the suffering that went into creating pets for ignorant and uncaring people:

Puppy Mills
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Some people either don't get it or just turn a blind eye so they don't 'HAVE' to get it!!!
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Sandi,that I do.And not just once either.

I emailed her a few of those LR.....And unfortunately they are VERY good friends of hubby.She coaches the baseball team and they bowl together.So we are always together.Mind you I didn't join bowling this year and hubby seems a little pissed that I don't go with him....TOUGH...

I have tried talking to her about things that she does with the dogs,even when they were pups.She doesn't listen...Even about the begging at the table.She lets them and will even give them some of the food.If they come and try to do that to me,I give them a firm NO but they don't listen.I can't blame the dogs for that.My guys NEVER beg at the table.I made sure of that when the were pups.

I agree Luba,they do turn a blind eye.

It just pisses me right off.
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

but it's so cute for them to beg at the table

Until they rip a piece of food out of a kids mouth!
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:36 PM

Mona I understand how you feel about the begging.

Ruger (gsd) is the worst, He'll walk right up to our kids and either a)take the food right out of their hands
B)sit right in front of their face until they feel they need to give him food.

I tried to break him out of it , but nothing yet. I don't know what else to do.

When he was a pup and before hubby and I got involved his mother would hand feed ruger and never leave him by himself. So now ruger feels that someone has to be by his side 24/7. She also stayed outside with him all the time and waited until he went to the bathroom, he expects me to do it to and when I don't he carries on. I'm not going to sit there and wait until he's done peeing. I have 3 small children and I will not leave them in the house that long by themselves.

Petie (Pit Bull) he does it sometimes. When we're at the table he'll go under the table and rest his head on your lap. But if the kids are walking around w/cookies, or chips Petie and Ruger are going and trying to take it out of their hands.

Petie never did that until he seen Ruger taking it out of their hands.

Thor (Pit Bull Mix) he goes and lays down in another room and doesn't bother anyone.

www.dogsdeservebetter.com
www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh wow.

She hand fed him?That would answer why he is like that.And why he seems to be "clingy"...Sometimes it is hard to break.

With Yukon and Tron,they will not take any food from anyone.Even when offered.I have to give them the ok before they will.It took a bit of time when I was training them for this.But it paid off.

You need to tell the kids not to give in to him.Cause when they do,he has won.

What things have you tried to break him of this?
Old March 5th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Chocolate

grr, same thing as one of my good friends.... out of nowhere (well, 2 months after I go Chocolate) my friend's mom decides she wants a toy/lap dog. and where do they go? PJ'S!

they got a 6 month old male Shiz-poo (I call it sh!t-poo ) that had an eye problem and needed medicated eye drops!! one of his eyes is out of focus...

oh & he's got crooked teeth, but that's "cute" bc my friend had braces in elementary school... so she sees it like a BOND they share...

he's also the one that attacked me 2yrs ago.

no matter what u do, u can NOT educate these ppl!

get this, bc it was a small breed, it was difficult to house-train him... he peed & deficated on the carpets that they had everywhere but... the kitchen. so what did they do? they put him on a lease in the KITCHEN along with his food and water so he could learn to do his business THERE

*bangs head against the keyboard*
Old March 5th, 2004, 10:53 AM

mona, I tried to discipline him and tell him no (in english and german) to no avail. He uses his selective hearing.

then I tried the rolled up newspaper. I would hit his snout and tell him no (this didn't work either, as soon as I turned my back he would go and just take the food out of our kids hands, they wouldn't even be trying to feed him)

I also tried the water bottle spray, that worked too until I turned my back.

I can put him in the cage, which I did a couple of times, (b/c he would go to the table and get next to our kids plates and take food). I don't want to have to keep putting him in the cage so we can all eat in peace, but I really don't know what else to do.

I don't like to use the newspaper b/c he gets mad and growls and snares. I wanted to try everything I just don't know what else to do.

If you have any suggestions for me please share them. I will try anything to break him out of this. I know I can't just break him out of this, and I know it's not his fault. I told my mil she should have never done that when he was a pup, and she should have let me be alone from time to time.

Instead of being w/him 24/7, and hand feeding him.

I will try anything and everything.

www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Chocolate

....... I have a secret....

I used to bite into a long fry and have it sticking out of my mouth.... so Chocolate could eat the other end...
... same with bread... and fruit... chips...

I saw that as a way of him not being aggressive of me but totally accepting... eye contact & all....

ok, so he's still too close to me AT TIMES when I'm eating but I discourage that behaviour to telling him to "OUT!" of the room. he actually (lol) leaves the room, does a turn and comes back. as soon as he's turning back, I saw it again. and omg, he listens... enough times, he realizes he's getting nowhere so he either goes back outside and comes back when he figures I'll be done, or lies on ground in the other room. the moment he hears the fork/spoon scraping the plate, he knows it's time to get up. I get him in a "sit" position, wait a moment & then he's good to start cleaning the plate

of course, the plate's shared with Honey... but that's another story, lol
Old March 6th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

PLEASE PLEASE never use a rolled up newspaper.That is the number one no no.That is why he is doing the grawling.You are putting fear in him.And you don't want to do that especialy with the kids.What would happen if one of the kids picked up a newspaper?

And putting him in his cage will not teach him.

Does he know his down,stay command?

You need to have him do that before you sit at the table.Preferably away from the kitchen table or even the kitchen.If he gets up,correct him and put him back in the spot he was in.Praise him.This will take time.

As for taking the food,when he does this say Ruger "NO" and redirect him to a toy or something.Then praise him.Always use his name before a comand.When you redirect him and praise him,then he will learn what he is not supposed to do.This too will take time.Hubby has to do this too.And anyone else in the house.

Give this a try....Remember praise and patience is the key.

Let me know how it works out.

LMAO @ wAggie....Your bad.lol

But at least he knows.

I did that with my guys.But it was their treats in my mouth....LOL
Old March 6th, 2004, 08:18 PM

Ruger is great around my hubby. (Hubby can put food in his mouth and have it sticking out, ruger will come over and take it nice out of his mouth).

He knows the commands (in english and german) he listens to my hubby no problem (once in awhile he'll test hubby) but me alot of times it's like pulling teeth. (yet ruger will listen to our kids (i taught them the commands in german and they say it too now).

If hubby is home it's not so bad, but when hubby isn't at home and is working then it's a alpha thing. He thinks I need to listen to him.

I didn't want to try the rolled newspaper, but one of hubby's friend said to use a newspaper and it'll break him out of it.

I know ruger listens to hubby better b/c hubby had him since he was a pup. Ruger got to know me when he was approx. 1yr old. I know it's going to take time, but as long as it works I don't have problem w/the time and patience (God knows I have alot of that considering I have children ages 5,4,1 yrs old. and 3 dogs).

I will try that mona and thank you.

I will let you know how it works out.

www.rescueboard.com
www.pitbullpets.com
Old March 7th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Chocolate

*breathes a HUGE sigh*

looks like I'm not the only wacko out there
Old March 7th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

LMAO wAggie....

Oh I thought he was around you also when he was a pup.

You just have to show him who is boss..

Well I'm sorry to say,but hubby's friend was very wrong to say that.It dies not break a dig,it puts fear in them.Which is something you don't want to do.

Your very welcome.

Yes,please let me know how it goes.

Remember,patience and praise.
Old March 7th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Chocolate

... so is it really so bad... if I still do it once in a while 3 years later?