Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 17th, 2004, 01:05 AM

Doggy Breath

How do you get rid of the stench of Doggy Breath? Brushing their teeth? Alrtite Jin(aKa the jindo ) is doing just fine YaY he seems to hav adjusted nicely. He's mostly outside. He HATES being inside and when hes inside he scratches the door and one time he OPENED THE DOO . He got up and with his front two paws he pulled the handle and pushed the door with his weight..i was really impresed. But i cant seem to get his attention long enough to train. Like I tried to train him in the yard today. I firmly pushed his behind down into a seating position and told him to SIT. Then I let go and tell him to SIT and he completely ignores me and starts to sniff stuff. I have him on a leash also. He seems to be very hyper all the time to. If he was calmer would he be easier to train? How would I calm him down. How do I train this crazy baby to sit!!

P,S: Jinny isnt neutered..does that have a big part when hes 6 months old?

Last edited by jindo4life; July 17th, 2004 at 01:49 AM. Reason: I forgot one more thing
Old July 17th, 2004, 09:02 AM

training

Regarding training look into this site. It talks about positive reinforsment training with the clicker. A very effective and fun way to train
http://www.clickerlessons.com/index.html
Old July 17th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I've heard parsley is good for breath. Maybe parsley pills?
Old July 17th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Puppy breath can be caused by teething and will go away.

The food you feed the dog will make a huge difference in the odour coming from their mouth.

A really easy and great solution is to feed treats of fresh fruits and veggies to the dog, they're natural odour fighters.

Also, get into a brushing routine to prevent tartar build up and odour. Don't use fluoride toothpaste.
Old July 17th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Smile

Have you used the treat method of getting the dog to sit? Hold the treat in front of her nose and move it slightly back towards her back. Say "Sit" As the dog looks up the bum goes down, GOOD DOGGY!
Read it in a book, works like a charm. Soon the treat goes away and the sit happens with the praise.
Jane
Old July 17th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Like I tried to train him in the yard today. I firmly pushed his behind down into a seating position and told him to SIT. Then I let go and tell him to SIT and he completely ignores me and starts to sniff stuff.
It sounds like your expecting way too much out of him at once. He needs many repititions of this command. Teaching it with treats is a good idea, but saying sit, and pushing his bum onto the floor gentley is also good. You'll need to do this lots (like one whole training session (5 mins) full of it. Don't overload him. If he is hyper, try playing with him for five minutes before and five after.
Old July 17th, 2004, 05:38 PM

How Long did it take for yalls babies(doggies) to learn the sit command and other commands?