Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old April 29th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Some green at last . . . .

I showed you lots of snow last week but yesterday we were out with flowers and green grass . . . . .

Keeper leaps a log in the background as Abby runs along a path west of Turner Valley . . . . the Sheep River trail. T-Shirt and shorts!!!

Abby swims against the current, cooling down.

At the bottom of the Sheep River Gorge, Keeper contemplates the tough hike back to the top. The key to the Durango somehow bounced out of my pocket on this hike . . . . I thought down here when I had sat down to take this picture. But I found it on the path on the way back up the hill. Phew!! It would have been a long walk home!!

Crocuses along the path . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old April 29th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Those are some awsome pics.the dogs in the back ground.
Your pics are so breath taking.the thing about being local.i don't get to see the mountains anymore other then the pics you post
Old April 29th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Rick,
I so love your pictures and look forward to them always.

Is that the same sheep river that runs up in Grand Cache area? Yet another beautiful part of this world.

what's up with the trailing leashes? I'm a bit of a backcountry dog walker myself so I was curious what the advantage of this might be, maybe something I should consider? Does it help when you meet other people, critters, etc. so you don't have to spend time getting leashes hooked up? Just curious..
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old April 29th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Rick,
I so love your pictures and look forward to them always.

Is that the same sheep river that runs up in Grand Cache area? Yet another beautiful part of this world.

what's up with the trailing leashes? I'm a bit of a backcountry dog walker myself so I was curious what the advantage of this might be, maybe something I should consider? Does it help when you meet other people, critters, etc. so you don't have to spend time getting leashes hooked up? Just curious..
Theoretically, there are zero off-leash areas in any provincial or national park in Alberta . . . . and probably anywhere in Canada.

Coincidentally, I was thinking yesterday of taking a picture of the sign where we parked the Durango that said: " . . . . all pets must be leashed and in hand at all times."

That's the law.

This is the same area we had a bear encounter two years ago and our apparent cougar encounter just a few months ago was in a spot right over Keeper's head in the third picture . . . . this spot was closed a couple of years ago after a cougar attack. A woman had her scalp gnawed off by a grizzly a few years ago near here.

So . . . . . yes, it doesn't hurt to let them trail their leashes and I can stomp on them pretty quickly if need be. I'll have hold of Abby a lot of the time and let Keeper walk a few paces ahead. . . . . Abby's getting better at verbals so I've been giving them more leeway. On this particular walk, I let them walk trail their leashes pretty much all the way back as we stomped up and down the countryside. If I'm deep in a forest and can't see very far, I'll typically have them in hand and I'll make occasional whistling sounds to give notice of our approach.

It doesn't make for good pictures but it's for their safety and mine . . . . loose dogs running in the forest bring angry bears back with them.

Most people we encounter might not have their leashes on their mutts but will put them on before they meet us . . . . common courtesy.

Everyone has a different opinion on this, of course, but the law is likely there for a reason. I bend it a bit but not as much as others.

This is a different Sheep River from up north. This one comes out of the mountains, goes through Turner Valley, Black Diamond and Okotoks and out onto the prairie.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:00 PM
-

Great pics again, Rick.
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Great pics Rick. I love the first one
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:41 PM

I like the one of Keeper looking up the hill...
Old April 29th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for your reply Rick... all good info and I really like the trailing leash idea especially for when a quick "capture" might be needed (no cougars here i hope but, bears can sometime be an issue with dogs in the backcountry)

Maybe i'll have to come and visit that Sheep River too! It's all such beautiful country.
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old April 29th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Young at Heart

Beautiful pictures again! I particularly like the doggie in the water picture!
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:15 AM

Love your photos as always ric. I agree with the leash thing. There are so many dogs that get stuck out on open ice and fall through without a leash. If they had one, they would be easier to keep off the ice, or at least rescue. That water must still be pretty cold if there is still snow on the banks.