Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old May 12th, 2009, 11:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They maybe tried not to be cooperative, Lukka'sma, but you got some stunning shots!! That bluebird in flight, for instance

I wish my binoculars could take pics--the cape may warblers were in the spruce this afternoon

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Lukkasmom,you are soo lucky,I have never seen a Blue-Bird,at odd times we have Orioles passing through.
RWBB I have plenty of,as well as Gold-Finches..
Beautiful pics,you must have a really good camera
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
They maybe tried not to be cooperative, Lukka'sma, but you got some stunning shots!! That bluebird in flight, for instance

I wish my binoculars could take pics--the cape may warblers were in the spruce this afternoon
Oh how beautiful, I haven't seen one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Lukkasmom,you are soo lucky,I have never seen a Blue-Bird,at odd times we have Orioles passing through.
RWBB I have plenty of,as well as Gold-Finches..
Beautiful pics,you must have a really good camera
My first sighting of a Blue Bird was yesterday as a matter of fact. The nesting boxes that were put in the field for the blue birds usually get used by the tree swallows, but they are beautiful too IMO. This is the first year that the blue birds have gotten there first
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:19 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We've had a pair of bluebirds defending a box from tree swallows...they seem to have deterred them...so now the great-crested flycatchers and the tree swallows are duking it out over some other nest site. Makes for some fascinating aerial battles!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Remembering Lukka

Indigo Bunting

Blue Jay

Chickadee

Hazel I need your help with this one, I'm thinking Pine Warbler, but not sure

Old May 17th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Lukkasmom,those pics are just beautiful,wish I had your camera.
I have never seen an Indigo Bunting,he's stunning.
We have birds like the other pic,I think it's a Warbler,what kind of Warbler I don't know,at least what I can gather from my Bird-Book.

Today I saw,an Oriole in all his glory and a Common Flicker,the Flicker was sitting on my pool-railing,I got really excited,but don't have a camera good enough to take pics from that far.:sad:
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Lukkasmom,those pics are just beautiful,wish I had your camera.
I have never seen an Indigo Bunting,he's stunning.
We have birds like the other pic,I think it's a Warbler,what kind of Warbler I don't know,at least what I can gather from my Bird-Book.

Today I saw,an Oriole in all his glory and a Common Flicker,the Flicker was sitting on my pool-railing,I got really excited,but don't have a camera good enough to take pics from that far.:sad:
Thanks chico, I agree that the bunting is beautiful, I love them. I took that pic at a full 300mm and even then I had to crop and zoom to full capacity when reviewing it on my camera. He was quite a distance away.
Yesterday I went birding at Rondeau Park and let me tell you migration was at a peak. I saw so many wablers it was incredible. My favs were the Blackburnian male, Black and White male, Chestnut-sided male and the Black throated Green male. It was a fantastic time, the Rose breasted Grosbeaks were within touching range, of course I didn't take a camera with me, I only take binoculars when I go on a big birding outing. All that photography stuff gets in the way and too much to carry with me. If you ever get a chance to go to Pelee or Rondeau in the second and third weeks of May you will be in birders heaven
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

omd, the shot of the chickadee with the light shining through the wing! That's just, well, spectacular!!!! That's the one I'd have framed for my wall

I have to agree with your ID on the warbler--fems can sometimes be tricky, but it does look like a female pine warbler. Nice catch! I hear them all the time, but unless I'm playing a tape that has a pine warbler on it, I rarely see them. One of the tapes I used when I censused cerulean warblers evidently had a pine warbler calling on it--I had three pine warblers come out of the trees at one point and object vehemently to the pine warbler I had in my boom box An unintended consequence, but I did enjoy the close look at the little darlin's.

Thanks for sharing!! And keep them coming, please!!!!

Old May 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
All that photography stuff gets in the way and too much to carry with me.

I don't care!!! New rule--YOU MUST HAVE CAMERA HANDY AT ALL TIMES!!!!

Just kiddin' ya...

I hear ya, though...I used to carry my manual SLR with a zoom lens on it...by the time I got home, I could barely straighten up!

If you ever get a chance to go to Pelee or Rondeau in the second and third weeks of May you will be in birders heaven
Pelee is already there...I've never heard of Rondeau, but I'll have to add it to my wish list

Old May 17th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Remembering Lukka

Rondeau Park is just a hop skip and jump from Pelee. Great birding
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
omd, the shot of the chickadee with the light shining through the wing! That's just, well, spectacular!!!! That's the one I'd have framed for my wall

I have to agree with your ID on the warbler--fems can sometimes be tricky, but it does look like a female pine warbler. Nice catch! I hear them all the time, but unless I'm playing a tape that has a pine warbler on it, I rarely see them. One of the tapes I used when I censused cerulean warblers evidently had a pine warbler calling on it--I had three pine warblers come out of the trees at one point and object vehemently to the pine warbler I had in my boom box An unintended consequence, but I did enjoy the close look at the little darlin's.

Thanks for sharing!! And keep them coming, please!!!!
What a gorgeous bird that is
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Unfortunately, declining precipitously across their range. :sad: Or at least they were in the late 90s when I was looking for them. Turns out, though, that there are a fair number of ceruleans nesting in the Clark and Eau Claire County Forests near here. Clark, EC, and Jackson Counties have contiguous county forests, with lots of closed canopy, which is where the ceruleans apparently prefer to nest.

Old May 18th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Love the bird pics!

This is Gladys, our shed dove. Photo taken last weekend. She's already had her babies, I think 2. I didn't want to disturb her too much, but I did see a fledgling poking his/her head out the other day. She nested in our little shed, under the roof, on the rafters. Thankfully the shed is inside our dog pen area, so it's a VERY safe place. no cats or such can get inside the fence (and if they did, Tucker would make sure they didn't come back). Flying lessons should happen soon, we'll keep Tucker out of there if we see any lessons going on.
Attached Images

Old May 18th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Remembering Lukka

Gladys is a very pretty girl. She has a great place to bring up her young until they are ready to start out on their own.
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Gladys the Dove. She looks very secure under there! And her name suits her

She's lucky to have Tucker as a body guard.

We had a squirrel try to nest in our shed but we had to chase her out before she had a chance to have her babies cuz the dogs have access to the shed...the Pack and Pesky Squirrels...not a good combination The good news is that she moved to a cavity in the oak outside the fence and I think she's got babies! safely away from the dogs!

Old May 18th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

lol, yeah, Gladys had BETTER raise those babies! 2 yrs or so ago we found 2 baby doves on the ground, barely alive. I nursed them back as best I could (I even toted them to work with me, in a basket, with a heating pad, so I could feed them around the clock). It took me a few days to finally get someone to agree to take them, I ended up bringing them to a wildlife animal hospital, and making a $50 "donation". (in reality, it was more like ok, here's 50 bucks, please take these birds, lol) the birds were cared for, raised, and eventually released.

of course, I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but I'd much rather Gladys take care of her babies. I wasn't a very good bird mama.
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Jesse,Gladys is beautiful,there is something peaceful and angelic about Doves,we have only Morning-Doves and lots of them,but I love them too.
One year I had a Ringed Turtle Dove,loved her,but I don't think she survived.
Here she is,but you can hardly see her.
Attached Images

Old May 18th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Remembering Lukka

She is pretty chico
Well todays bird adventure had me trudging through some pretty thick wooded areas to get to the bird voices. I followed a Scarlet Tanager into the woods and shot it from such a far distance away that it hardly shows on my camera, through the binoculars he was stunning though.
I won't even bother posting the ST since it isn't very clear.
Attached Images

Old May 18th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Remembering Lukka

Well actually none are very clear they were all shot from a distance with the exception of the rose breasted grosbeak.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lukka'sma; May 18th, 2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

OOOH,AAAH,just beautiful
Where is Rondeau Park,where is Pelee,got to look it up!
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
OOOH,AAAH,just beautiful
Where is Rondeau Park,where is Pelee,got to look it up!
the pics I posted today were all taken about 10 minutes drive from my house at Fanshawe Park where I walk Mishka.
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

More nice pics! Aren't the orioles beautiful this year? Is that last one the mama tanager, Lukka'sma? Hard to tell without seeing the beak.

I saw a male scarlet tanager fly out of the front spruce into the oaks! I've never seen one that low in the yard--typically they use the tops of the oaks as singing stages and nest in the woods around us...could this one possibly be nesting out front? I hope so--I'd love to watch them nest!!!!

Old May 18th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
More nice pics! Aren't the orioles beautiful this year? Is that last one the mama tanager, Lukka'sma? Hard to tell without seeing the beak.
I saw a male scarlet tanager fly out of the front spruce into the oaks! I've never seen one that low in the yard--typically they use the tops of the oaks as singing stages and nest in the woods around us...could this one possibly be nesting out front? I hope so--I'd love to watch them nest!!!!
I'm not too sure hazel, like most birds I want pics of she took off before I could really got a look at her.
same with that oriole, and look how the red bellied woodpecker is trying to make itself as flat as possible even though it was about as high in the trees as it could get sure wasn't in the mood to be photographed.
I am so jealous if you have scarlet tanagers nesting near by, saw my first one today (male) wow he was magnificent.
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The male tanagers are just so....bright! Breathtakingly so! I never tire of looking at them, but I usually just hear them singing up in the oaks and never spot them...at least not once the trees leaf out.

Last year there were at least three nesting pairs between here and the lake about a mile away. I'd walk down the road and see them flying over.

Old May 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Remembering Lukka

I had the red bellied woodpecker following me this morning while I walked Mishka in my special birding area. I took with me a recording of some bird songs. The r-b w
was going from tree to tree all around me trying to find the intruder. I played the scarlet tanager song several times and I might have heard a reply but couldn't go deep into the woods like I would if I were alone, too much ground cover and crap for Mishka to have to climb through. On the weekend I will venture out without her and see what I can find.
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:40 AM
-

Great pics Lukkas'ma, I so envy you seeing all these different birds. I'm going to have to start going out into the woods a bit hopefully then I will get to see some stunners.
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Chris, come visit hazel. We'll sit out on the deck, sip our lattes and watch the birds go by! Easier than walking through the woods and battling the mosquitoes.

Old May 20th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Formerly known as Grover4

Ok, these are some older pics I took that some of you may have seen but I thought that I would post them anyway.

Name:  bird1.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  66.2 KB

Name:  bird2.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  83.9 KB

Name:  bird3.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  82.9 KB
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Formerly known as Grover4

And one more
Name:  Bird.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  56.3 KB
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:55 AM
-

Quote:
Chris, come visit hazel. We'll sit out on the deck, sip our lattes and watch the birds go by! Easier than walking through the woods and battling the mosquitoes.
Sounds like a deal Hazel.....I'm going to win the $49 million tonight, so expect me next week some time...and no you won't have to pick me up at the airport, I'll be there in my chauffeur driven RV

BeagleMum - I'm having difficulty in recognizing the first birdie