Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 28th, 2006, 05:04 PM

belly bands

I read in alot of rescue groups that they are using 'belly bands' on the males as some were used as stud dogs, how does this work and can any dog(breed/size) wear one and for how long do they have to wear them? I have both a m/n and a f/s , my male has NEVER cocked his leg in the house, neutered young, but I'm afraid to get another male after for that reason. I know if we got a puppy that you can train them, but I really don't want a puppy(now or in the future) I know first hand how many people get the cute little puppy while the older mature dogs get passed by, and I find it way to sad:sad: . Hope someone out there can shed some light on this for me. thanks
Old March 28th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Belly bands are used for adult male dogs who mark in the house. This has nothing to do with housetraining and can be a serious problem.

I would worry more about bringing another male into the house if you already have one. Of course a lot depends on breed and individual temperament.

If your dog is good with other male dogs and IF you do proper introductions to another neutered male it may be fine. There are lots of male dogs for adoption who were also neutered young.
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Senior Contributor

i have had a number of male dogs, and they never hicked there legs !but i have 2 male min pins and yes these little monkeys do hike there leg !and yes every once in awhile i have to put the belly bands on, they do not like to pee on themself, hope this helps brenda.
Old March 28th, 2006, 07:59 PM

belly bands

I don't plan to get another dog until my old man goes, so introducing two males wouldn't be an issue, I just wasn't sure about getting a new adult, and bringing it into the home, thanks for the advice so far trying to get as much info as possible, Oh and the mini pins was one of the breeds we were looking at hee hee hee thanks