Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 16th, 2016, 02:52 PM

Bad Skin reactions on Bulldog

Hi,

I have 2 American Bulldog mixes whom are14 months old. They are unfixed atm.

This post concerns my female.

I made the horrible mistake of leaving her with a family member for 2 months while I moved and found a home that allows dogs. When I went to pick her up yesterday she was in horrible condition tied up behind his house :'(! I was furious as she looked so sick and very painful. All her paws were serverely inflamed she could barely walk on them and her face has this hard callously feel to it!!! I can afford the vet right this moment as my cards are maxed out and no money for the next couple of weeks from moving.

So far iv'e given her a bath and sprayed a bit of hydrogen peroxide on her feet. Shes a champ and didn't even flinch when I was doing that. Her feet are still irritated looking and swollen.

What happened to her? My cousin said she was fine a week ago....balony!!! Everytime I called to see how she was he said she was doing good and of course asked for more money.....

She is underweight but not eating. Drinking just fine and very small soft stools. I see no worms though.

Please help I feel like the worst owner in the world right now....

My other dog is fine. He went to my dad who actually took care of him.

Ps. No they are not a breeding pair. They are brother and sister and I plan on altering them once they have their 2nd birthday.

images fixed by admin
Attached Images

Last edited by marko; September 16th, 2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old September 16th, 2016, 09:11 PM

Maybe try epsom salt soaks for her feet for starters - hydrogen peroxide is just going to dry out her feet even worse. Reality is she needs to see a vet and sooner than later. It must be terribly uncomfortable for her, plus she's not eating which is disconcerting - will she eat treats? Table scraps? How long has she been off her food?
Old September 16th, 2016, 09:54 PM

She will eat human food. Gave her half of a pork chop today and she ate it no problem. My couson said hes been feeding her everyday but she wouldn't eat all of her food. He noticed she was losing weight over a course of a week. He still swears he didn't notice her feet. Grrr

I haven't switched brands and she used to love this food (IAMS Large breed). I will try wet food since she wil eat human food.

Can a dog suddenly have allergic reaction to a food they've eaten since they were weaned? Even her mom ate that. She licks her feet but I try distract her from it.

Her wounds are looking better that I cleaned them but her face remains hard and bleeding.

I know she needs a vet. I am trying my hardest to borrow more money as I've already pulled loans for this move and my vehicles.

Both my credit cards are maxed too.
Old September 17th, 2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully_Bulldogs View Post
Can a dog suddenly have allergic reaction to a food they've eaten since they were weaned? Even her mom ate that. She licks her feet but I try distract her from it.
Yes - allergies can pop up at anytime. My guess is this is more than just allergies, given the condition of her face too (could have started out as a reaction, but could be infected now due to the period of time it has gone untreated).
Old September 18th, 2016, 10:11 AM

Okay so the vet confirmed its allergies and the leisions are infected. Was given amox for the infection and benedryl for the itching. Also a cone, but I've managed to keep her from licking. The vet recommended a fish or lamb based, grain free food. My late Pit Bull had food allergies (though not this bad) and I fed her California Naturals fish diet. She did remarkably well on it, so I will pick some up in the city next week.

For now my pup is eating like royalty. Venison, fish and beef for her everyday. She had a bit of diarrhea but I am assuming it is from the rapid switch from kibble to meat.

That said, should I be feeding her something else other than meat?

Also should I switch her brother to the same new food? He has no itching at all but since this was so sudden for her, would it happen to him too eventually?

Thanks
Old September 18th, 2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully_Bulldogs View Post

That said, should I be feeding her something else other than meat?
Meat alone is not a balanced meal - what exactly is your pup allergic too - is it the grains or chicken or? I'd be tempted to add some cooked rice with what you're currently feeding, but that could add to the issue if it's a grain problem.
Old September 18th, 2016, 02:26 PM
Senior Contributor

You should have your cousin help you pay for the vet bill b/c they mistreated your dog and now she has an infection . If you abuse a dog in my state in USA you and get jail time and pay a fine !
Old September 21st, 2016, 04:46 PM

Yup. I sent him the bill alright! $115!! But the vet said to avoid stuff with ANY grains in it, that means rice too. He said chicken and beef should be avoided too as thye have been known to cause allergic reactions.

Unless I do testing (which I will do later) there is really no way.of knowing exactly what she is allergic to.

I have also stopped using regular laundry soap on her blanket just to be sure. I use baking soda and hang to dry.

She is starting to look better. I have been slowly introducing Acana Freshwater fish formula with the meat she is on. She likes it but was wary at first. Only had one loose stool so far but she is taking to it well.

Her lesions look better. The ones on her face have stopped bleeding and swelling on her feet has gone down a bit. But she has not been licking. I give her an antler or pig bone to chew on at night in her crate. Loud, but keeps her mind off her itchy feet.

Will keep you updated.
Old September 21st, 2016, 07:28 PM

Bully_Bulldogs, make sure your read each ingredient on the back of the dog food bag. I always thought that if it said fish, there was only fish in it, but most foods (at least cat foods) have some form of chicken in them, you really have to look hard to find one that doesn't
Old October 1st, 2016, 08:35 PM

Well guess what? Woke up this morning to puppies and blood everywhere on the basement floor where she was sleeping last night. 11 puppies and only 4 were alive but cold. I HAD NO IDEA SHE WAS EVEN PREGNANT!!! The vet didn't notice either. She wasn't "showing" or acting like she was in labour or anything last night! She ate her dinner went to use the bathroom and I locked her down stairs (renos happenimg upstairs) for the night. I havr no idea what to do with puppiea she will not care for nor has milk to give (her teats were shriveled up and no milk was inside) I tried to get the puppies to nurse but they wouldn't open their mouths. So I took them to the vet who said get them to the shelter. So I did and they are there hopefully they make it.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:08 PM

How soon will she go back into heat since she's not caring for her puppies anymore? I really don't want this to happen again!!! How long do I have to spay her?
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'd think you'd have a few months, but I'd ask the vet for sure. First thing is to get her healthy again.

Any news on the pups?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 3rd, 2016, 11:31 PM

1 has passed away (the smallest, weakest one). The remaining 3 are doing well thanks to a kind lady who is bottle feeding them. I wouldn't know how to do that at all!!! I feel so bad my girl had to go through any of this. My poor baby not only was in pain, alone and sick but also pregnant and scared!

She's been eating nothing but the best cuts of venison and moose. She has been picking at her kibble and same with her brother. Maybe she's afraid of breaking out again in sores? Not sure why her bro is being picky. I've been giving her cooked sweet potato and suppliment along with fish oil. She loves that but its expensive. But anything for my furbaby.

Booked an appointment in 2 weeks so that's why I was wondering about the whole heat thing.
Old October 4th, 2016, 03:27 PM

None of the puppies made it. She ended up having 13! I seriously have no clue how she hid 13 puppies, even for her size!
Old October 4th, 2016, 07:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So sad about the pups. I think your cousin has a lot of explaining to do...

Make sure your girl is healthy before stressing her with a surgery--even if you have to put the spay off for a few weeks. How is her skin condition?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 9th, 2016, 11:05 PM

Roxy had to be put to sleep 2 nights ago. :'(
Her health began to decline a few days after she had the puppies. Also none of the puppies survived. :'(
I noticed she was sleeping more and getting sick. Also she was whining pretty much all day.

I got an emergency appointment for her the next day but she was too far gone by then. She was suffering from eclampsia because she didn't get the proper nutrition during her pregnancy.

She could barely lift her head and she had not eaten for a whole day. I decided she had suffered for too long. Her skin wasn't getting any better or worse. But she was skin and bones after she had all those puppies. She was eating well for one day. Then she threw up 4 times in 1 day. The next day she wouldn't eat or drink even if I forced her to drink.

I am so angry with my cousin. I don't even care about the money anymore. I want nothing to do with him. I am heartbroken.

Thank you all for your help.
Old October 10th, 2016, 12:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm so sorry, Bully Bulldogs What a terrible thing.

Roxy

Old October 24th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Rock Star

For more extreme issues, your vet will have the capacity to offer assistance. The vet may alter interminable skin wrinkle diseases by playing out a minor surgical technique to take care of the skin and diminish the profundity of the wrinkles. For constant or serious sensitivities, your vet will play out a skin rub or a blood test to decide the cause. In instances of serious dermatitis, your vet likely will endorse oral or topical pharmaceuticals. Your vet will treat parasite-related skin aggravation with a blend of cured cleanser or cream to treat the disturbance, prescription or manual expulsion to dispose of the parasites and inoculation against further invasion.