Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old November 19th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Senior Contributor

When you're away...

so I've been trying to convince hubby to give raw another shot. I think if I go with a different meat than chicken, maybe Buster won't react so bad.

For those who don't know, the reason we want to switch is because Buster can't digest kibble.

Hubby's biggest argument is that we won't be able to have our friends dog-sit for us when we go on vacations (even though we never go anywhere!!) because it would be too much to ask to have them handle raw meat.

What do you guys do when you go away and have your dog baby-sat?

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old November 19th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Senior Contributor

i'd do it all you would need to do is have it pre portioned in baggies, the dog sitter could take it out of the freezer the day before (or if your only gone for the weekend you can pull the required amount out) and they could just plop it in a bowl for them... no real "handling" of raw meat required. I'd do it.
Old November 19th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

so if we ever go on vacation, all I have to do is drive to London

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old November 19th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Senior Contributor

yep..... thats all its only a few hours away (hehe) ..... really i look for any excuse to fill my house with more pets.... i always offer to pet sit, but most of my friend are poor and never go away!
Old November 19th, 2006, 09:22 PM

There's also a company called Nature's Variety that has freeze dried raw which is supposed to be raw without the moisture, in a nut shell. They look like little medallions and the ingredients look good. For example, he's the ingredient list for the chicken and turkey medallions:

Chicken, Turkey, Turkey Liver, Turkey Hearts, Pumpkinseeds, Ground Chicken Bone, Apples, Carrots, Butternut Squash, Ground Flaxseeds, Chicken Eggs, Montmorillonite Clay, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Kelp, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Persimmons, Olive Oil, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Inulin, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Citric Acid, Sage, Clove

Here's the link...http://www.naturesvariety.com/conten...3DB8Utv3F945E2

For the squeamish people this should be no more difficult than handling kibble and your dog will be happy
Old November 19th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Honest Contributor

yep, you can buy pre-packaged frozen raw mixes and have the dog sitter just thaw and serve, it's just a thick medallion that looks like paté or something, nothing to make anyone squeamish

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old November 19th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor

do dogs get liquidy poops if they're fed raw minus the bones for a few days? Because I told Nic we could just put some ground meat in seperate little baggies....

Old November 19th, 2006, 10:01 PM
-

No not at all ~ because you're also feeding cellulose fibre with your veggies ~ potatoes are great for bulk.
Old November 19th, 2006, 10:05 PM

Meb, Buster can stay at techno's! Woo! Problem solved!
Old November 20th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by prin
Meb, Buster can stay at techno's! Woo! Problem solved!
yeah! i'd spoil him rotten though, just be warned

i mean what dog could say no to a délicieux mélange of fresh ground chicken frames, fresh ground beef hearts, raw fishies (smelts) and pureed sweet potatoes? sure beats dry stuff from a bag, they sez!

Old November 20th, 2006, 02:29 AM

Fix up some portions in those Glad wrap snap top containers with snap on tops. When the dog is done, your pet sitter can leave the empty container on the floor and put the next one right in it at the next feeding (they're stackable.) After about 6 meals, the sitter can pick the stack up and put them in the sink for washing later. Or put them in a garbage bag for your attention when you get home. Assuming, of course, that puppers hasn't devoured the containers in the meantime.

Of course, I never go on vacation (I live in a vacation destination) and if I do, the l'il monster rides along. (N. Nevada & N. California are pretty wonderful places to explore--and well be haved "show" dogs are quite welcome most places.)

Last edited by Angies Man; November 20th, 2006 at 02:34 AM.
Old November 20th, 2006, 02:11 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies Man View Post
Of course, I never go on vacation (I live in a vacation destination) and if I do, the l'il monster rides along. (N. Nevada & N. California are pretty wonderful places to explore--and well be haved "show" dogs are quite welcome most places.)
Well, that's it then. The pets.ca winter picnic is at YOUR house. . I'm good with that. Who's driving the bus??

As noted, the dogs are likely to chew up the containers to get at the residue particularly if the sitter is late by 2.3 seconds with the next delish dish. Maybe it's best to get a pet sitter familiar and comfortable with a raw diet so you can leave Buster with the knowledge that he is capable hands.
Old November 20th, 2006, 05:40 PM

Technodoll my pup saw your pic with the meat and fishie mix on the computer screen (he happened to be sitting beside me) and I swear he licked his chops and had that look like "Mom, can I have THAT for dinner tonight?"
LOL, he keeps looking at the screen hoping it will magically reappear
Old November 20th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Senior Contributor

thats cute barklay..... im sure my puppies would love that too so i wont let them see that photo..... i feel sad looking at the poor fishy though... the rest of it i cant stand but the face, did you have to include the face!?
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old November 20th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
i feel sad looking at the poor fishy though... the rest of it i cant stand but the face, did you have to include the face!?
sorry i should have poked its severed head under the mushy stuff eh? the eye, oh lordy THE EYE!

Old November 20th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
Maybe it's best to get a pet sitter familiar and comfortable with a raw diet so you can leave Buster with the knowledge that he is capable hands.
see? that's the hard part....all of our dog-sitters don't have dogs of their own. And all our friends who DO have dogs, definetly don't feed raw (it's stuff like Eukanuba, Iams...) -- they think I'm nuts with this food stuff. And they'd probably faint if i showed them Techno's pic of ground heart/fish eye

Old November 20th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Honest Contributor

i really don't see the big deal. these people make meatloaf and hamburgers don't they? it's the same thing, only they don't even have to touch anything if you package it right... hun don't get blindsided by the excuses. where there's a will, there's a way and a friendly person to accept that "it's just how we do things here", period.

Old November 20th, 2006, 11:42 PM

I find that pic pretty nasty, but if somebody "lent" me their dog and had everything set up, I'd just say "ew" about 3 dozen times as I got it ready and that's about it.
Old November 21st, 2006, 05:58 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
i really don't see the big deal. these people make meatloaf and hamburgers don't they? it's the same thing, only they don't even have to touch anything if you package it right... hun don't get blindsided by the excuses. where there's a will, there's a way and a friendly person to accept that "it's just how we do things here", period.
I'm with you. You'd swear touching raw meat was the end of the world for some people lol. Remember, its already dead, it wont bite you

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old November 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott
I'm with you. You'd swear touching raw meat was the end of the world for some people lol. Remember, its already dead, it wont bite you
so true. sorry but changing a baby's diaper is waaaaay more disgusting than plopping some raw meat in a bowl and let's not even talk about picking up dog cannon-butts on the kitchen floor eh? yet people don't nag and moan about that being horrible...

people, it's just meat. you handle and prepare it for yourselves -except for vegetarians - this is no different. there are no maggots, no eyeballs (ignore my particular mixes, they don't sell this stuff!), no smells and nothing gross about it. this is what it looks like: http://www.vipdelivers.com/images/RFdBe.JPG see? dump in bowl, let thaw, serve.

marie-eve, you have nothing to lose at this point to at least try it for a month. not just one day! a whole month

Old November 21st, 2006, 06:52 PM
Performance Spaniels

You know.. That pic is kind of gross to me. I'd rather not handle raw meat for my own dinner.. But I handled plates of raw for the muchkins while we were away.. It gets less gross hacking off chunks of goat meat, scooping out chicken hearts and touching the tripe container, lol.
Old November 21st, 2006, 07:16 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaprincess
That pic is kind of gross to me.
oh man... it's gross to ME, too i just kinda put my mind on the shelf when i make this stuff, you know? think of something else, whistle a tune... i can't say i get a kick out of getting dead animal all over my hands but i do it for Love of the Beanies :love:

Old November 21st, 2006, 07:25 PM

I must be alone on this one because I :love: preparing Barkley's raw meals. It may not look pretty and not appetizing to humans, but I guess I sort of look at it like I was seeing it through his eyes and when you look at it that way, it looks delicious!
Maybe I'm just happy because I know he's getting pure nutrition because I sure didn't get that happy feeling when I poured kibble into his bowl...or maybe I'm just giddy from the tripe fumes