Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 1st, 2008, 08:26 PM

After a Cat Has her litter

My cat mema just had her babies about an hour ago,What do i do after she has them and she already cleaned them up and is feeding them but she is all bloody and needs to be cleaned what do i do and do i put them in a box on some blankies with the mom..i had on gloves cos i dont want to get my scent on them but she let me touch them and help her.plzzzzz help
Old March 1st, 2008, 08:43 PM
Senior Contributor

After a Cat

Your cat will clean herself up, put the kittens in a quiet, semi-dark, warm place (like a shallow box with a towel inside) and let her nurse and bond with the babies. You can offer her some canned food & water and privacy. Once the kittens are weaned please schedule her for a spay.
Old March 1st, 2008, 08:48 PM

Smile litter

aww ty soo much she is on a nice fluffy towel in my closet its dark and i did give her her food ans water she is resting and bonding with the babies she did great im so proud of her so i did the right thing i love my lil baby and i will make her an app to be spay tytyty
Old March 1st, 2008, 09:11 PM
What to say, what to say

Even though I root for spaying/neutering, litters are still very cute! So how many kitties are there? And once you have stayed on for a bit longer, could you show us a few pictures?Good luck!
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Please give your momma cat a HIGH quality canned cat food that is suitable for growth (kitten food) (Felidae canned and Wellness kitten canned) and supplemented with human meat. She will need that to produce enough milk to keep the kittens healthy. You will find these brands at most pet food stores, but not in the grocery store. She should have food at all times.

The kittens should be weighed every day to every second day. They should be gaining about 10 grams per day. If they are not, you may have to supplement feed them, but don't do that unless you have to, momma's milk contains very important immunities in it.

Don't worry about handling the kittens, if momma knows you, she won't mind at all and it is best for kittens to be handled, makes them very human friendly.

Momma will keep her kittens cleaned, so you don't have to worry about cleanliness until they are about 3 weeks and at that time they will start going to the bathroom on their own. DO NOT use clumping, only clay or natural products as the kittens will try to eat the litter. Clumping litter will sit in their tummies and create a blockage. At about 3.5-4 weeks the kittens can start being weaned with watered down kitten food (Wellness canned is good)

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:52 AM

Congrats!!!
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:01 PM

my cat just had 2 kittens to i know that she will clean her self up her kittens she will find a safe place to keep them mine picked the back near my computer on the floor lol . dont worrie she do whats natural and be an mother to her kittens if ya noticed she not leting them nurse than you can bottle feed 2-4 hours ( only if she not leting them nurse )
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:10 PM

kittens

kittens need lot of nutrients and where the best is from the mother milk it has antbodies and rich protein in it . she need to be on kitten food while she nurse them. extra high in fat ptotein she need . they will follow mother cat when they are older to use the cat box an low cat box is best . so make sure mother well feed and the kittens shounld be good . make sure no one hanging them .only mother
hope this helped
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

OMG whats with you.........Aren't there enough freakin cats in the world!!
12 million pets get euthanized yearly!!! So why not just add to that death pile!!!! Ohhhhhh they're soooooo cute, how cute will they look when they are lying dead on some cold metal table in some shelter!! That's the reality!!!Don't you all get it!

http://www.cockatielcottage.net/snow...mal_euthanasia
http://www.americanhumane.org/site/P...mal_euthanasia

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
-

I was thinking the same Happycats. :sad: I think some people would need to spend a day at a high kill shelter to get the picture.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I was thinking the same Happycats. :sad: I think some people would need to spend a day at a high kill shelter to get the picture.

Oh there are plenty of pics on the web!!

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...tryCA%26sa%3DG

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:47 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
I wish this was the first thing people would see before becoming a member. Discusting , yes , but some people would need to see this. :sad:
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I wish this was the first thing people would see before becoming a member. Discusting , yes , but some people would need to see this. :sad:
This is the reality of not fixing your pets!! People need to know this!
http://www.ariawebdesign.net/animalbins.jpg

Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
-

:sad: :sad: :sad:

to think , I had some fosters that got out of the shelter barely in time (one of them is my own Sam) ... and their new families love them to death and can't bear the thought of these pets almost got euthanize just because they were dumped at the pound.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
Owned by goldens

After a cat has her litter

Please have your cats spayed before it can have another litter. The people who will be adopting your kittens won't be going to the animal shelter to adopt a kitten anymore. Guess what will happen to the overflow of kittens at the shelter. You guessed it, they will be put to death.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:19 PM
-

Here's a video for you to watch....

http://www.brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx