Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 10th, 2007, 12:09 PM

chihuahua coughing with mineral oil

Hello, my chihuahua has been having constipation problems and the vet said to give her 1 tablespoon of mineral oil, but when we give it to her she refuses and starts growling and my grandmother forces her mouth open, thats when she starts coughing, i think some of the mineral oil went to her lungs. I've read about that its bad, this is the 2nd time this has happend and she wont go to the vet till 1 more day, plus she's only 14 months old. She seems fine now, but will the mineral oil affect her lungs?

My grandmother said that it wont hurt her, and thats what her mother used to do to my grandmother, drops of mineral oil into the nose, to get rid of stuffy noses during allergies. Right now, im worried about my chihuahua coughing with that mineral oil.
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I would avoid mineral oil for constipation. It is a petroleum based product and even if it works, it is nasty stuff. Notwithstanding your grandmother's opinion, it is one thing to apply it to the nasal passages and quite another for such a young animal to swallow it .
Try your pup on a little pureed pumpkin (it must be real pumpkin and not pumpkin pie mixture).
Mix water in with his food (are you feeding him wet or dry?).
If there is some Metamucil in the house (a remedy for humans; it must be the flavourless kind), you could try a tiny amount in his food, it works for my cat. I'd check with the vet about this one, and for some alternative treatments.
Only use a remedy until it works, and then stop. You want his digestive system to take over, not become dependent on stimulants.
Good luck. Let us know what happens
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Aspirating mineral oil is something you really want to avoid. Here's a previous post from Dr. Van Lienden on the subject: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....716#post236716

I agree with badger, try pumpkin mixed into some canned food, it's much safer.
Old July 10th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I think I'd be switching vets if yours recommended Mineral Oil! I'd switch to one that has a much more "up to date" view of things, imo.

I agree adding the pumpkin or some kind of fibre to the diet is the key. Unless there is a disorder in the colon or something like that, fibre is the key to regular stools in humans and animals, of course.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!