Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 24th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Elderly chihuahuas R us

Is this a 'panic attack' or something more serious?

I'm hoping to get the group wisdom on something weird happening with one of my dogs today.

Last night at 1 or 2 AM, my 14-yr-old Chihuahua started freaking out. He was sleeping in bed with me but suddenly bolted awake and started hacking and walking about (he has a collapsed trachea so the hacking per se is not unusual; he has no other known health issues and had a regular checkup about 3 months ago with full bloodwork done. No heart issues.).

He normally sleeps about 18 to 20 hours a day but he has been awake almost straight through since then (12 hours already) and continues to walk around/pace and hack.

He keeps trying to sleep but cannot. He normally buries himself under a blanket all day and just now he attempted to bury himself under a file folder and then a shoe (!), so something is clearly amiss.

My regular vet is away until Monday and so I'll be taking him in to a vet I have little experience with. Would anyone have any thoughts on what might be happening? I'd like to do some research in advance before I take him in to Mr. Largely Unknown Vet.

Last night I was thinking it was some sort of panic attack but that shouldn't last 12 hours, and it shouldn't cause him to attempt to bury himself under a shoe instead of his usual blanket.
Old February 24th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, I can only offer good wishes you resolve this with the new Vet.
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Elderly chihuahuas R us

Thanks very much for your good wishes.

The unknown guy seemed competent enough. He thinks that the dog had some sort of medical event in his nervous system. Popped a synapse or something.

We have another appointment with the regular vet later this week, so just have to wait and see if he gets any better. Poor little guy.
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

I have no advice either, just well wishes that your Chi can settle and get some rest. Hopefully your Vet will be able to give you some good information on what might be going on.