Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 18th, 2011, 08:54 PM

Clean teeth, stinky breath, high protein

Our two dogs were eating Nutro and Iams when we got them (different times), and one now deceased was eating Nutro when younger. All three of them had surprisingly almost entirely odor-free breath. All three of them were switch over to Orijen adult (different times) using the Eagle Pack digestive enzymes powder to help the switch. Eventually I added in fish oil, Tripett, and plain yogurt. All three of them developed really stinky breath very quickly after the switch...maybe a week? Not a fishy smell, more of a rotting carcass smell. They have all always had clean teeth from veterinary cleanings. No teeth brushing, but I did get some teeth gel to try out from the vet called Maxi/Guard OraZn.

I have 4 more cans of Tripett, then I am going to cut it out for a couple weeks to see if it is contributing to the stinky breath. I'm going to cut out the fish oil this week to see about that. I'm pretty sure it is the Orijen more than anything. Someone suggested to me that all brands of high protein kibbles can/will cause stinky breath, and suggested adding raw meaty bones to help clean the mouth. I always add water to the food - enough to cover the kibble - as I understand this helps to flush any unused protein from the system making the high protein easier on the kidneys. No idea how true that is...

I'm considering switching to Acana kibble, but would miss the wholesale prices I pay for the Orijen.

Is it the high-protein or is it Orijen in particular? Do dogs on other brands of high protein kibble have the same problem? Why does this happen?

What else could it be? Any suggestions?
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie

Last edited by Myka; August 20th, 2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Come to think of it, my manchester developed really stinky breath on Orijen, and I realize it's now better on Acana........
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Both of my boys have really stinky breath. They were on orijen at one time, but tummies couldn't handle it. I don't think it was the amount of protein that made them sick because they are on a home cooked diet now which is even higher, but they both still have stinky breath. Our vets say it's because they both have tummy issues (colitis for Thorin and gastro-intestinal sensitivities for Nookie).

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:54 PM

Interesting to hear Marty!

Rgeurts, I have heard that tummy issues can make for really stinky breath. All three of these dogs have stomachs of steel, with no known digestive issues. Nice, healthy coats and normal blood panels. I might add in a digestive enzyme product to see if that helps at all.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old August 20th, 2011, 09:16 AM

My dog had really foul breath ... and really foul stuff out the other end ... on both Orijen and the grain free versions of Acana that we tried (we tried the Pacifica, the Ranchlands, and the Prairie - fish, red meat, and chicken in other words).

The vet suggested that the problem was twofold - too high a protein level for the dog as a family pet (back end) and no "good carbs" like oats for the tummy to cut out the offensive breath. He is a fan of Orijen but indicates that in his opinion it is good for working dogs but too rich for family dogs.

She did well on the regular Acana (with grains...and lower protein than the grain free) except that she did not chew it - same with Orijen and other Acanas.

We rotate a few similar foods for her - TLC (coming out of rotation..she is no longer interested in it...mixing it with Canidae so she'll finish the bag!), Canidae ALS, and Royal Canin Medium 25 are the three in rotation right now ... seeking a replacement for the TLC in the future...maybe Go!Natural....that worked well in the past

She does best on Royal Canin IMO. Fewer poops, softer coat, no bad breath, no farts, plus not eating everything in sight (ie: leaves, garbage, my kids underwear) when she's on that blend. The more holistic, the more grain free, and the higher protein....increases poops, stinky breath, and stinky farts and has her seeking out other non-desirable food on walks, etc. At least that's how it works in my dog.

Plus, I live close to the border and can get the Royal Canin - made in Canada - for $42 / 30lb bag at Petsmart in Buffalo vs $59 at Petsmart in Fort Erie . Canidae is $46 in the USA and $57 here....not as big a spread...but still disgraceful.
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:55 AM

It is probably the Orijin, My dog is on it and his breath smells like a toilet. He has a long nose and a dry mouth typical to sight hounds which are common for having bad teeth as well which probably doesnt help as he sometimes gets food jammed in the back of his teeth. I might switch to Acana just to see if it helps.