Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 30th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

cat bleeding from nostrils, excessive sneezing

I got home a few hours ago and my cat, Sascha, 11 yrs old and otherwise, in excellent health/vaccinated/fixed etc., just had a humungous sneezing fit and blood was evident in her nostril! She must have sneezed 30 times consecutively, paused, and began sneezing again for another round of 15 or so, and I wiped away a bit of fresh bright red blood. I have never encountered this type of "fit" followed by blood. Yes, she is off to the vet immediately tomorrow a.m.. She has since eaten food, (2 hours since I first saw sneezing/blood, is perky and alert, but is showing some slight discharge from the eyes now. My tennant just walked in and mentioned that Sascha has been sneezing a lot in the last 2 days while hanging out in his quarters. She is very aloof and will disappear in the house for quiet times and I may only see her for feeding times. I fed her this a.m. and noticed nothing unusual or medically amiss.

I am wondering if anyone out there might have an idea what the heck is going on with this cat.....my thoughts are a bump to the head, specifically sinus area, or, severe allegies, but enough to cause bleeding??? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! She will be seen by the vet in the morning as I am monitoring her closely and if there is a sudden change, we will take her to emerge pronto!
Old March 30th, 2005, 10:30 PM

Rhinovirus?
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:11 AM

cat sneezing

Well, Sascha has now quit sneexing all together and there is no evidence of discharge from either her nose or her eyes. It's as if there was something stuck, she blew it out and is now right as rain! What the heck!?! She is eating, bright and bouncy and does not show any signs of illness whatsoever. I am keeping a close eye on her and will watch her for any signs of whatever it is/was. Hmmmmm......
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:19 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

perhaps...

She burst a blood vessel while sneezing? Just a thought.
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:21 AM

Could she have inhaled something that irritated her nasal passages? Spices, cleaning solution, deoderant, or other strong smelling item? I'm more leaning towards something she could have actually inhaled, like pepper or some other spice.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:41 AM

cat bleeding.....

all of these are possibilities as I have been continually mopping up mud from the kitchen floor with a bit of cleaning solution in the water. Will just use straight water from now on. She also dines beside the spice cupboard, so she may have snooped where she shouldn't have. Boy, it is quite a mystery!
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezzerpezzer
She also dines beside the spice cupboard
A picture of a little table with candles and place-settings just popped into my head. Thanks for the giggle!

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old November 4th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Cat not doing too well...

Boy is Sascha sick Back to the vet today and he prescribed DeltaAlbaPlex (contains steroid), as she did NOT respond at all to the other liquid stuff. He says it's "all in her head" and her lungs are clear. She is not eating hard food as she is having a hard time swallowing but is happily feasting on the soft stuff

I was up at 4 a.m.,(gonna be a looooonnnnnngggg day...), as she was having a hard time getting into a comfy position that she could breath in, so I had to prop her up for a while

She has been having the most amazing sneezing fits, (47 in one session!!) and chokes alot and is continually licking her lips.

The vet says if this round of treatment fails, he almost suspects that she somehow has a foreign object lodged in her nasal passage/skull, like a sewing needle or something and we will do an xray then. Could you imagine??

Of course, the pills are HUGE and she feels like she is choking even more when I administer one! Oh boy......
Old November 4th, 2005, 01:06 PM

My Godness poor kitty. My KC had a bleeding nose once. I rushed her to emergency, alot of help that was they told me to take her to my regular vet in the morning since she was not bleeding anymore, and charged me $90. I took KC to our regular vet the next day, and it turned out she had a peice of hard food lodged in her naval cavity. At the time I had been dealing with another health issue, which was vomitting. The vomitting is what caused the food to get lodged. She spent the night on and IV, to rehydrate from the vomitting, and they removed the lodged piece of food. Today KC is healthy and all her digestive problems have been cleared up. If you cat is a pukey cat ie hairballs, maybe while puking something got lodged up there. Hope she starts feeling better soon.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old November 4th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Holy Cow!!

Whoda thunk! Sascha isn't a real barfy type of cat, but I don't see everything she does....gawd, kibble in the schnoz....how painful! I would have never thought that was possible!
Old November 4th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I'd give oregano oil a shot. A few drops in her food or water (if accepted) and a few drops in boiling water, then simmered, to put some of the active ingredients into the indoor environment. It's a powerful anti-bacterial.

Sounds to me like an underlying problem (has she ever been outside or with other cats in say, a shelter situation? could be a virus) that expresses itself in opportunistic infections. The antibiotics are only taking care of the infection, not the underlying problem. 47 sneezes in a row! I'd be exhausted, although since sneezing is supposed to stimulate the brain, also a genius.
Old November 4th, 2005, 03:28 PM

That's funny!

I like the part about being a genious I sneeze all the time in batches....that explains things

She is an outdoor cat, (please don't slam me, folks.....). I adopted her that way when she was about 6 years old, from a lady around the corner, so she already had the turf.....hard to change that! Plus, now, she pretty much stays on our HUGE fully fenced property. She's always right there when I open the door or a few yards away. Doesn't stray at all. More of a grass sitting bird watcher.

There has been the mangiest male ferral cat in our yard twice. He managed to find the only hole under a gate. The rest is pretty well secure, (3 large dogs, one a husky that can scale 6' fence, we we went 7!). He was pretty gruesome looking, poor fella...all beat up and rough looking. I think he may have possibly brought in some kinda bug. The vet asked this too. But I am mystified as to why my other 2 cats, (one indoor strictly, one yard patrol cat!), have never shown any indication of illness whatsoever This is why I am reluctant to believe it is a virus, although I have not discounted this.

I think you may be very right, badger, that this is a symptom and not the real problem. I am horrified to think that there is something stuck in the sinus! Yuck!

I like the idea of oregano oil. I work right beside a health food store so that's easy to get. Plus, it'll make the kitchen smell dreamy!!
She pretty much eats anything, so this will not be hard at all to give her

Thanks for some "sage" (couldn't resist...like to keep things spicy!) advice!!
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:13 PM

Hi. I'm brand new here. I joined because I was doing an internet search on cats with bloody noses and this forum came up. My Blake has had a sneezing problem ever since I found him when he was 4 weeks old. When I played with him, he always ended up panting very heavily. When it was time to get him fixed, the vet came across some unusual levels in his liver, indicating something wrong, but everything else was fine. The vet tested for every single virus known to cats, and everything was clear. Blake proceeded to get worse, losing fur on his tail, discharge from his eyes to the point where they couldn't even open. He started getting better after the vet gave me some Duralactin, Eye Drops for conjuntivitus, and Clavamox. He seemed to be doing well and the vet did the surgery when he turned a year old (2 weeks ago).

Blake has been going down hill. His sneezing is worse. He's bloody nose is so bad. He doesn't eat dry food, but loves the wet food. He can't take the pills, so the vet gave me liquid medicine. The vet keeps telling me to be positive, but nothing seems to be working. The vet also said that it's all in Blake's head, the lungs are clear. Today, Blake's nostril has completely closed. I'm at my wits end as to what to do for him at his point. He's so young...

Sorry for the ranting. While it's sad that cats are going through this, it's nice to hear that my cat isn't unusual, and I'm anxious to hear how your kitty's next vet visit goes.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:41 PM
Queen

Jrifers I wanted to send a pm to you but couldn't. I think maybe you should start another thread about Blake so you can try to get some more suggestions specific to him. Also i'd look into getting a second opinion because it sounds like your vet may have run out of ideas.(took me three switches once to get a diagnosis on something) I didn't read through the whole thread just wanted to butt in here to say that. Good luck to you both.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I was just about to make a rude comment about your vet for saying 'it's all in his head', when I realized what he meant lol.

I agree with Maya, another vet may be a good idea. Since your cat has been a little breathless since birth, he may have a congenital problem, has this been mentioned?

Did your current vet put him back on the same medication or something different? How long has he been taking it? What exactly did the vet say when the symptoms came back? Is his heart OK? Did you discuss allergies? Can you think of anything in his environment (cleaning products, etc.) that might be causing this?

Make sure he goes on eating, all wet food if necessary.

Please let us know what happens.
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:53 PM

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I was wondering if lezzpezz was still active here. I see that the last time posted was in December 07, so I am hoping he/she still visits this forum.

The reason why I am asking is because my cat Morris has VERY similar (practically exact) symptoms as Sascha's. I was curious to see what the diagnosis was, as some of the options that we are at may not be feasible for our old (17yr) cat as he may not do well with being put under anesthesia.

As was mentioned in this thread, our (indoor) cat also seems fine, eats ok and moves around quite a bit, however he has had an ongoing discharge (both green and blood) from his left nostril. He has also been going into sneezing fits as explained by lezzpezz.

Another similarity with lezzpezz's experience is our interactions with the vet, we have been through 3 types of antibiotics, each with varying results, but none of them are really helping his sickness.

We too believed it was something that was stuck in his nose, but we can't be certain without the xrays, which as mentioned before, we were told that he may be too old to be put under anesthesia for these.

These symptoms have been going on for about 3 months now, and we have just tried to keep him comfortable by running a vaporizer and flushing his nose with saline. He has recently started open mouth breathing to bypass breathing from only one nostril, so we are worried that he may be getting worse. We are afraid that we may be just dragging out something more serious (such as a nasal tumor, or some other form of cancer).

Although he has had these issues, his behavior has not changed drastically, and he still seems happy, so we were hoping for some advise if anyone has had an animal that has experienced similar symptoms.

Thanks for any ideas,
Barker

Last edited by barker; January 29th, 2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:17 AM

question about cat with bloody nose

Does your cat eat weird stuff? My cat bella eats ribbons and anything plastic, we have to be very careful. Christmas is scary as she eats the bows and ribbons and what ever else she can find. she also licks plastic bags obsessively. she too sneezes alot in fits some times and today has a bit of blood in her nose when sneezing. i think she ate something. Just wondering what happened with your cat and if it eats weird stuff too. Lisa
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:02 AM

bleeding nose

Hi

My cat is only a year old and she started having a bleeding nose maybe about 9 months ago. We took her to the vet and they gave her some doxaclyine (spelled something like that) medicine. She stopped sneezing blood and haven't had any fits for a long time. Well just the other day she started sneezing blood again. It didn't last too long and has stopped for about a week. This morning she has started sneezing again—I have no idea what is causing this. The vet doesn't believe it could be cancer at such a young age. She doesn't seem ill, except for the sneezing. She is bouncy and eating even with the attacks. I don't understand how this is a recurring thing? Taking her to the vet seems useless because they never found anything wrong with her. An x-ray seems out of the question because it just doesn't seem that serious yet. She is still her usual self, no changes in appetite, etc. Any suggestions or solutions?

-Thanks
Old June 30th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Nelligrl,I had a cat many years ago,he had cancer and died at the ripe old age of 19.
I don't want to alarm you,your kitty might just be prone to nose-bleeds like some people,but the first symptoms in my Sammy was a nose-bleed.
However since your kitty has had this for almost a year,I doubt that's what it is.
Old July 1st, 2009, 01:49 AM

nelliegrl has your cat been tested for FIV and FeLk?

Did the vet run any bloodwork?

Any other symptoms?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying