Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 26th, 2009, 07:50 AM
banned user

Floor cleaning products

I found this interesting and wanted to pass it along. Recently someone had to have their 5-year old German Shepherd dog put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely healthy until a few weeks ago, so they had a necropsy done to see what the cause was. The liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of some kind. The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe. My neighbor started going through all the items in the house. When he got to the Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated 'may be harmful to small children and animals.' He called the company to ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that antifreeze is one of the ingredients (actually, he was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from antifreeze). Therefore, just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, then licking its own paws, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver. Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure. They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on their floors. Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible so they don't lose their animals. This is equally harmful to babies and small children that play on the floor a lot and put their fingers in their mouths a lot. PLEASE, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT HAVE BABIES, SMALL CHILDREN OR OWN A PET; PLEASE FORWARD THIS ON! YOU MAY NOT HAVE ANY CHILDREN OR PETS BUT SOME OF YOU HAVE FRIENDS OR FAMILY WITH PETS AND ALSO FAMILIES WITH GRANDCHILDREN AND GREAT GRANDCHILDREN.
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I heard about this years ago. I wonder if other products that are used in the same way as Swiffer have the same compounds?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Senior Contributor

this has been going around for a few years and isn't true according to snopes

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:14 AM

with the internet these day it is easy to check to see if this is true or not. people are too quick to spread the word without a second thought. I have gotten this email from several people but rather than spreading it further I did my reseach to find it is just a hoax. So the buck stopped here. I will not spread rumors. please do your research before ruining someone reputation. http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:27 AM
banned user

thanks for the information...I paniced when I got the email as I do use Swiffer products.....sorry I did not mean any offence but knew I could count on someone here to verify the email I received.......
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeL View Post
with the internet these day it is easy to check to see if this is true or not. people are too quick to spread the word without a second thought. I have gotten this email from several people but rather than spreading it further I did my reseach to find it is just a hoax. So the buck stopped here. I will not spread rumors. please do your research before ruining someone reputation. http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp
I think you are a bit harsh on Shirley, she was only passing on info that she recieved, she didn't start the rumour.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

its ok Shirley, better to be safe than sorry!!
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:15 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I think you are a bit harsh on Shirley, she was only passing on info that she recieved, she didn't start the rumour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
its ok Shirley, better to be safe than sorry!!
I agree totally with both of you...thanks for taking the time to post Shirley
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I think the best part of tis thread is the link to Snopes. Its a greta site that I use often. You wouldnt believe the emails that have been circulating for years that are crap.

Thanks for the concern Shirley and thanks for posting the link to snopes Melinda.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:53 PM

Regardless, never, ever let a pet near a surface that's been freshly cleaned until it's dry.
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds1960to View Post
Regardless, never, ever let a pet near a surface that's been freshly cleaned until it's dry.
Good advice, we never know what some chemicals may be doing to our pets and children.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 26th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Skylar's Farm

This is still a good reminder to be very, very careful with ALL cleaning products.
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:31 PM
~Cat Servent~

I asked for a steam mop for xmas... and now that I've used one, I'll never go back to the swiffer (even when I used the swiffer I emptied out the solution they give you and used a hot water/vinegar solution instead)... always better to go au natural then to take chances with cleaners. And my guys I know frequently eat off of my floors so the less questionable stuff they ingest the better.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I still will not chance it, Considering that the source of info thats ays its safe was also posted on the internet. If that is ture is anyones guess. I am without a dioubt going to pass tht email on to family, especially my uncle.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Animal Lover

I think it's important to use as little chemicals as possible in the home. We clean with half water/half vinegar it disinfects Cleans good & is safe.
Old January 26th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Given that this seems to be a hoax I have edited the thread title.

Still, we MUST be careful about the cleaning products we use around our children and our pets.

Thx
Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Despite being a hoax, I would imagine that swiffer or any regular household floor cleaner is not good for pets. This is the reason why I have absolutely no chemicals in my home.

Natural cleaning all the way!! I've got a really nice book of "recipes" for various cleaners and so far I've been able to keep my house as clean as when I used conventional chemical cleaners.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
I asked for a steam mop for xmas... and now that I've used one, I'll never go back to the swiffer (even when I used the swiffer I emptied out the solution they give you and used a hot water/vinegar solution instead)... always better to go au natural then to take chances with cleaners. And my guys I know frequently eat off of my floors so the less questionable stuff they ingest the better.
I use the swiffer mop and I've been thinking about getting a steam cleaner too. do you just use water and that's it?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds1960to View Post
Don't most people wait until the floor is dry before letting their furry friends run across it anyway? If for no other reason, then to save the paw prints on a freshly cleaned floor?
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Glycol (sp), can be in a number of products, including bath products. Just like with kids, you have to control access to everything that could be ingested. Even using those air freshener sprays, you don't want the stuff dropping down into the pets food or water so be careful where you're spraying. Having so many pets and being so cautious when it comes to most chemical cleaners and sprays, not just for the pets health, but ours too, I tend to prefer things like vinegar and water for cleaning floors and surfaces in most instances and don't use air freshener sprays at all.

Cindy
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Doggie Wench

I won't use anything I can't easily rinse off. Normally we just use vinegar, water, and alcohol.

Even though it's a hoax, thanks for bringing it up Shirley. It's still chemicals and if there's a warning to keep it away from children and pets on the label, then I'd heed that warning. It's there for a reason.