Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 11th, 2005, 08:50 PM

Question Thinking about...

Getting a dog. But my husband and I are worried about our 2 "daughters" (cats). I am so afaid to come home and see one of my girls dead!
I've always wanted a dog and we recently moved into an apartment, were we are allowed dogs.

Hubby and I dont want no small dog either, maybe the size of a retrevier.
I really want a dobermen but not hubby. Then I realize maybe they might be to aggresive?

So can anyone here give me a list of breeds (in all sizes) that would accept cats.

Thank you.
Shanna
Raven 2 yr and 5mths old black Lab
Old September 11th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

For this type question, it's not really the breed that matters, but the indivdual dog.

Just about any dog can be good with cats, if they were raised with them. Your best bet would be to get a dog from a rescue who is living in a foster home with cats and is known to not chase or attack them.

Dobermans are no more or less aggressive to cats than any other breed. In fact, generally speaking, they are probably better with cats than most terriers would be as they are not a hunting/sporting breed.

Your best bet would be to go to www.petfinder.org and look for dogs in your area. Their listing will tell you if they are good with cats or not.

Where are you located? Someone on the board may know of a dog for you!
Old September 11th, 2005, 10:20 PM
-

Go to www.ckc.com and www.akc.com and take their questionaires to help you choose the breeds of dogs that would be best suited to your lifestyle. Please don't choose by just their looks. In most circumstances how a dog behaves will be determined by how they were raised(socializing, training, etc).

Even if you choose to adopt a mixed breed there could be criteria that is important to you that you may not have thought of such as grooming, energy(exercise required).

Last edited by StaceyB; September 11th, 2005 at 10:23 PM.
Old September 11th, 2005, 11:07 PM

I have two mixed rotties and a cat. The cat was the first pet in the house and she rules it. The dogs like her but she has set the boundries and they know it.I have never had any fears of my dogs killing my cat.On occasion they all sleep on the same bed, but only when they think your not looking. It's so cute.
Old September 11th, 2005, 11:58 PM

Dobies can also be among the gentlest doggies there are. My old dobie taught so many people to not be afraid of dogs.

I think you need to research the breeds, narrow it down to a few, then talk to great breeders about how the dogs are with cats, then decide.
Old September 12th, 2005, 02:25 AM

Thank you for your responses. MomofRotties: Oh how I love the thought of my cats sleeping with a dog.

I live in Montreal and I have been to the spca here but cant go to far since I dont have a car. I saw an ad in the paper choc. Lab puppies for sale...hmm...? I really want a puppy so I can watch her/him grow and become the part of the family and I think it'll be best for him/her to get use to my "daughters". There was alot of older dogs that needs a home and it breaks my heart to see them there.

Anyways I am in no rush to buy one and I think I'll take my time to learn more about there care etc.

later,
Shanna
Old September 12th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributor

If you're in a apartment, you must think long and hard about getting a young puppy.

Is someone home during the day? If not, you'll be coming home to messes every day and will have your hands full trying to socialize and train a puppy who is in a crate all the time.

If you are home,think about rushing the puppy out many times a day for months to housetrain it and doing this in the dead of winter.

IF you get a puppy from some backyard breeder peddling puppies in the newspaper, he's not going to take it back if you cannot handle the situation.

My pit bull was two years old when I got her. She was spayed, housetrained and since I saw her interact with cats at the foster home, I knew for sure she was good with them.

Lots of us are in Montreal, and will try to help you find a dog!
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:17 AM

Don't get a dog from the paper! Good breeders don't advertise in the paper. Good breeders have sold all their puppies before they were born.

People here can teach you what a good breeder is if you are really set on a puppy and are committed to raising it and not giving up at the first sign of chewing....
Old September 14th, 2005, 06:38 PM

I know what I Want!

I ve always wanted a dog with Black and tan coat, like a doberman or a rottie. But hubby doesnt want want a big dog, after lots of searching I think I know what I want....A German pincher!!! Its not so big nor are they too small. I think it would be PERFECT!! Now I gotta find one. I would like to get one that is less than a year old, so she can get use to my cats etc. I have checked petfinder but no luck yet. So I'll keep checking .
Old September 14th, 2005, 06:53 PM

http://www.german-pinscher.com/

This is a dog with a strong prey drive, and so will most likely rather hunt your cats than cuddle with them.

Please do not decide on a breed of dog based on the colour of its coat! That is a recipe for disaster, where you, hubby, your cats and the dog will all wind up sorely disappointed, at best! Please, google the phrase "breed selector" and then take a handful of those tests. They will help you determine which breed(s) are best for your living situation at the moment.

Better yet, keep your eye out on petfinder. One of the dogs will surely catch your eye and then you'll be able to visit with the foster home, ask oodles of questions about his/her temperment, and be 100% sure that this is truly the dog of your dreams.
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:07 PM

hmmm strange, I did google yesterday about German pinchers and that if I get it young enough they will get along with cats. Oh I am not going for coat color, I mean I would love to have Black/Tan coat but any color would do. However I am looking for a medium dog with short hair and at young age.
Thanks for your input and I am going to keep my eyes glued to petfinder.

Old September 14th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Here is a great site for researching different breeds, and how they are with cats kids other dogs, strangers. also what ones are best suited for apartment living. Please take your time! and do lots of research, to make sure you get the dog thats best for your whole family
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/searchcategories.htm

I found this one.

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?act...50&tmpl=&stat=

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

German pinchers are not, as many people think, small Dobermans. They are terriers and ratters and not the best choice for a first time dog owner. They can be very stubborn, dominant, possessive, and aggressive to other dogs. They are alos protective and in an apartment, there may be a problem with barking. They need an experienced owner.

I would suggest a larger, more easy going dog!

HEre's a nice one - scroll down to "Spencer".
http://www.rosieanimaladoption.org/new_adoptions.htm

Last edited by Lucky Rescue; September 14th, 2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjat24
hmmm strange, I did google yesterday about German pinchers and that if I get it young enough they will get along with cats.
In all honesty, your best bet is to get a dog that is over a year old and currently in a foster home with cats, so you'll know exactly how it'll react to cats. We got our Phoebe at 10 weeks of age, and she spent the first year of her life with our resident cat. Try as I might, I was unable to curb that herding/chasing instinct of hers (and she's a very smart, very trainable dog who's graduated from several levels of obedience and agility). Sure, she knows "leave it", but I had to be on top of her constantly. Now that our cat has gone over the Rainbow Bridge and I'm no longer constantly reinforcing it, she will chase anything that moves. So, even if you get it as a puppy, you might be fighting an uphill battle against its baser instincts for the rest of its life. That's only my experience, though, and it's really dependent on the individual dog's temperment and character, hence the foster recommendation.
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:42 PM

Unless you have a serious amount of dog experience I would NOT recommend a GP, they are tough dogs to own. You would be MUCH better off getting a Doberman in reality!!!!!
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:21 PM

Wow thanks for these input, greatly appreciated!

Luckyrescue: Thanks for showing me spencer! I even like Beth too! I also notice there will be an apotion event in Point Claire on Saturday, just might go and check it out!

Thanks again guys!!

Is there a difference between a male and female dog, meaning like in attitude, affection etc...?

THX
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Beth is adorable too! I just pointed out Spencer because they say he is good with cats (which of course doesn't mean your cats will like HIM!) But that's a whole other story!
Old September 15th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor

i have had 4 min pin, and sometimes they can be a hand full, and yes watch out for barking, i have 3 now and 2 are barkers, hope this helps brenda.