Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 21st, 2003, 12:29 PM

Angry dog ate rabbit

My female boxer apparently ate a rabbit this morning. She was out doing her thing when she came to my sliding glass door with something in her mouth,when my husband took a closer look he relized it was the head of a rabbit. when we went looking for the rest of it all we could find was the tail ,one leg,and some hair,not even any blood (that seemed very strange). My question is will she be alright? is there any danger,so far she seems fine but she is clueless to why mommy is so mad at her,i am keeping her in a seperate room just in case she vomits. any replys will be greatly appreciated. Also will this make her a different dog ?
Old October 21st, 2003, 02:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Most likely, your dog will be absolutely fine. Dogs, like all canids, are designed to eat raw meat and bones, their physiology is set up for it.

Watch her for vomiting, diarrhea, or any other signs of illness or distress for a couple of days. It will NOT change her in any way, personality-wise.

I feed my dogs raw meat & bones pretty much every day. Quite frequently they get whole (cleaned) rabbits and chickens. They're sweet, happy healthy dogs.

Check my website if you want more info or assurance. Thare are thousands of people who feed a raw dog food (aka "BARF") diet. You can search these terms on the 'net to get more info.
Old October 21st, 2003, 07:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't be "mad" at your dog! She is only doing what nature equipped and designed her to do.

The only thing I would do a little later is take a stool sample to the vet - dogs can get worms or other parasites from eating wild animals.