Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 11th, 2005, 10:15 PM

Unhappy Dog - vaccine reaction

I have an 11 week old puppy - doberman and weimaraner mix... Had his second set of vaccines on Sat. He was fine sunday and monday morning. Monday night, he just layed there- he usually takes every step I do, even tripping me, so this was not normal. He would not eat but was drinking. I took him to my vet and he felt that he was having a reaction to the vaccines - bordatella specifically. Fever was 105. No vomiting, no diarrhea. There was some blood in his stool. He gave him a shot of steroids and a shot of antibiotics. Tuesday night, the vet sent him home, with oral antibiotics indicating he would be fine. Shortly after going home, he began to limp on one side (the right), both legs. After lying down for awhile, he could not walk without falling. I called the vet again. He told me that the dog was fine when he left the office and he must have been injured going home. I was with the dog the entire time, and he was not injured. The vet insists it's an injury. I am worried that it could be problems in his joints or bones. I know that large breeds are more prone to bone diseases. I am taking him back to the vet, or to another one if necessary, but wondered if anyone had suggestions. I feel the vet is avoiding tests that would indicate the true cause and this may be more than a reaction. Thanks.