Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 15th, 2004, 10:45 PM

Question Question about pregnant cat

Last Thurs. night, fate brought me and a little sweet female stray together. This cat had been hanging out at an acquaintence's home for a few days. She was very affectionate, sweet, and gentle. I picked her up and brought her home because I've been thinking about adopting another cat. This 5 lb sweet girl needed some food, water, and TLC. It's been above 100 degrees here!

Anyway, I took her to the vet yesterday to get vaccinatations, Fel Luk test, and check up and to schedule spaying. Dr. says she's pregnant (about 1/2 term). She will be getting spayed (and aborted ) next week.

My concern and question is regarding her disposition. Ashley is so genlte, affectionate, and loving right now. She has not once even looked out the windows or gone near a door. I want it to stay this way but I've been told that females are like this when pg so I don't know if I can expect a complete personality change when she comes back from vet not pg. Does anyone know if behavior changes are usually severe in pg cats or can I assume that she is probably a sweet friendly cat inspite of the pregnancy. The vet is guessing that she has spent her whole young life on the streets. Do you think she will be okay with becoming an indoor spoiled princess?
Old September 15th, 2004, 10:49 PM
banned user

If she is sweet and affectionate I would say she'll be just fine. If she was feral, you would not have been able to come near her let alone pick her up!
Old September 16th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor

First of all, thanks for saving this cat, and for doing the responsible thing and having her spayed /aborted! I know this is difficult to do, but it's the only thing to do. Kudos to you!!!
Ashley is probably so depleted and exhausted that having a litter now would be a tremendous burden on her.

Many cats who have had rough lives outside show no desire to ever go out again. I have an adult female here who spent her entire life outside as a feral cat. She has not shown the slightest interest in going out now, and it's been one year.

Ashley is probably so grateful to have a safe haven, she won't want to go out anymore, and her sweet disposition will certainly stay with her.
Old September 16th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes,pxxxgirl,you are doing a wonderful thing,sometimes little miracles happen and this is it for little Ashley
Old September 16th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for what you are doing for this little kitty. At just 5 pounds, she sounds like she's still just a kitten herself. Having kittens would just deplete her and endanger her own health. Please let us know how she does and keep us updated. Pictures?
Old September 16th, 2004, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I really hope Ashley does keep acting like she is acting now.

My first cat, Serendipity (Sera) was a stray I found too. She is pretty aloof and although she seems to be very comfortable inside after a year, she still spends her days looking out the window. Sometimes I think she's so bored. I would only tell this to other cat people...I sometimes let a cricket or a moth inside on purpose to give her something to hunt.

I will keep you posted on Ashley. She is getting the 'works' done a week from tomorrow. Spay, dental work-up & all shots.
Attached Images