Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 29th, 2008, 09:55 AM

Lab hit by a car

A few weeks ago my boyfriend's Chocolate Lab, George, got hit by a car. We have been to the vet already, multiple times, but his left front leg has no feeling in it and he isn't walking on it at all. Our little angel has been clearly tramatized, and he isn't eating. The vet is hoping the nerve in is left leg is just damaged and will heal itself and she gaves us some exercises to help the healing. Does anyone have any advice though, on how to get him to eat? We have tried everything and he is drastically loosing weight and our once healthy dog is now scarily skinny. You can see his ribs. We are really hoping we will not have to amputate his leg, but if that's what is best, then we will, but when and if that time comes, he will have to be healthy for the surgery. If anyone has suggestions on how we can get Georgie to eat, it would be really appriciated, because I'm getting really worried!! Thanks
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

What does the vet say about him not eating? Does he think it is psychological trauma, or could your dog's stomach have taken a hit? Did they do any full-body xrays? Blood tests?
At this point, I would be tempting him with all his favourite foods, inlcuding homemade. What have you tried so far?
I hope, over time, the nerves in his leg come back. But if you have to amputate, there are several members here with amputee dogs and they do wonderfully.
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Doggie Wench

It sounds like there's a lot more going on than just an injured leg if George is not eating at all. Has the vet done full x-rays of his body? Ultrasounds? I'd certainly be looking for other causes to his not eating and losing weight so rapidly. Please have him thoroughly looked over again.

Hope you can get to the bottom of it asap.
Old November 29th, 2008, 01:44 PM

If the vet has positivly ruled out any internal damage from the accident and he still turns up his nose at say rice with boiled chicken (maybe some hard boiled egg, cheese mixed in), then you could try force feeding him. Because you are right, he must keep his strength up for whatever lies in his future.

Many (many) years ago my 12 yr old Golden got very sick and was losing weight fast. Vet decided he had a massive infection involving his kidneys and spine. Between being sick and the 4 huge Baytril tabs he was taking each day the last thing he wanted was to eat, but I knew he had to to keep his strength up and to protect his stomach from the antibiotic.

So per the vet I force fed him for the 6 wks he was taking the Baytril. I started with some special diet canned (for kidney problems) added rice, boiled chicken and some hard boiled egg. Every day for 6 wks he would lay on the couch with his head in my lap, I would roll some of the mixture into a small ball open his mouth and push it down his throat (same as giving your dog a pill). When he had had enough he would let me know. We got through the 6 wks of antibiotics without him losing any more weight. Once he got off the meds he went right back to eating on his own.

Hope everything goes well for George.

along with; Dixie, Angel, Dex, Leroy, Babygirl, Harley, Chubby, Jasper, Katie and ole buckethead; Samson

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. Robert A. Heinlein
Old November 29th, 2008, 05:15 PM

We have spoken to the vet about this and she told us to just keep on him, because there isn't anything wrong internally, just his leg. I will try the rice/chicken/egg trick and see if that works! Thanks for the advice and I'll keep everyone updated on Georgie!!!
Old November 29th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Doggie Wench

So the vet did do x-rays, ultrasounds, blood tests? If not, how could she tell ?
Old December 1st, 2008, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry about your dog. I hope his leg will heal itself.

Have u tried to feed him by hand? We had to do that to one of our german shepherd.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old December 1st, 2008, 04:55 PM
-

How is George doing?