Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 2nd, 2011, 06:39 PM

Need Help!!!!

I have a 12 week old female min pin that will not stop peeing on things, clothes, carpet, blankets etc... as well in her crate. We take her outside every 2 hours if not more and she will pee and poop outside. I have had her to the vet 4 days ago and she is perfectly healthy. I have washed everything and everywhere she has gone to my knowledge. Then my female mastiff who is 11 months old decided she was going to relieve herself in the same spots as the min pin....but that stopped quickly.

Any help, info, ideas would be great.

Just a little back ground, I had the min pin first and the problem started before the mastiff came into the house and both dogs get along great. Cat is a no show till the kids are sleeping and the only place she hasn't relieved herself is where the cat litter box is. I have owned two dogs before which neither have met the min pin nor been in the house I live in.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:11 PM
Doggie Wench

You're MinPin is only 12 weeks old? She's still just a wee puppy and it will likely take some time to teach her to be fully clean in the house. Supervision is key (she shouldn't have access to the entire house nor blankets and clothes) as is taking her out frequently (every 30-60 minutes) and rewarding her when she does go. You should also work in the same manner to house train your older puppy. Here's a great video to start with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPiFcG7ROI .

I would also recommend you thoroughly wash and rinse every spot that's been urinated on and then soak with an enzymatic spray such as Nature's Miracle to eliminate any residual odors. Don't wash with bleach or anything that contains ammonia.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 03:09 PM
cassintheuk

I have a 10 week Cocker Spaniel and while I'm not sure if it's the breed that's easier to potty train, but Lily is almost potty trained. She whines to go outside by the door already. I take her out directly after naps, 20 to 30 mins after eating or drinking and first thing in the morning. I don't do anything else in the morning, just take her straight outside. Maybe it's because I'm overly excited when she goes? I do make quite the big deal out of it, I'm sure it annoys my neighbors and now even they know when my dog goes potty outside. She just loves the attention anyway. I don't give her treats for going potty outside, praise is enough. If you need to, like potty training a child, set your timer if need be. Of course, much easier said than done if you are home all the time like I am. Good luck! And like Hazelpack always says, I'd love to see pics! :-)
Old May 4th, 2011, 03:38 PM

What about umbilical (sp?) training? Keeping Puppy on a leash tied to your person, so that she can't sneak away when you aren't looking.
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:16 AM

One thing I learnt to help a dog stop having accidents in the crate was to scatter their kibble inside the crate. If your dog learns that they get food from this small area then they are more likely not to soil it. Obviously if you leave you dog too long then nothing will prevent an accident. I agree with everyone else that you have to keep your dog supervised and if you can't then have her in the crate. Lots of praise when she goes outside (like she picked the right Lotto max numbers for you) and get her on a schedule to go outside regularly (don't wait for her to ask to go).
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Some dogs just get it faster than others, but we've always used pee-pads for training. You put a pee-pad where they keep going, then start moving it to the door. (I forget frequency and everything, but the instructions are on the package).

With Daisy, when she was a pup, she was in a full size crate, so it was recommended we stick a box in to close off part of it. If the crate is too big, the dog has room to do it's business, then "live" in another part. By making the space smaller, there won't be enough room to do both. The dog won't go to the washroom where she sleeps.

As for the Mastiff pee-ing in the same spot, that's just him/her covering the min-pin's scent.