Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old April 10th, 2008, 07:11 PM

Returned the Wrong Dog

This is a story about a kennel where a family boarded their dog, and say they got the wrong dog back. They boarded their female black lab over night while they went away and than picked her up ,, so they thought,, only to discover later it wasn't their dog. The owners are saying their dog had it's due
claws removed and this dog had her's. They also say their dog had knee surgery and this dog has never had knee surgery. The kennel is saying they have contacted all the other owners and they all say they have gotten the right dog back.... I am sure you will find it more interesting if you check it out for yourself at yahoo news.. once your at that page, just search dog and you'll see the story,, sorry I would just post the link for you but I can't seem to do that :-) Please take the time to check out the story. I would love to hear some feed back on it, and I think it is worth your time to veiw or I would not bring it up ( it's the one with the picture of the black lab on it)

Last edited by Reality; April 10th, 2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:12 PM

Maybe one of the more accomplished members can post the connection for me :-)
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey Reality, interesting article, very strange situation....

Here's the link:
http://www.wftv.com/family/15847789/...p=irresistible

Diane
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Kitty pimp

the thing that gets me is evryone else thinks they have the right dog
If I had 6 black labs to take care of i would think i would come up with some way to tag them

it not relly funny but you got to admit it is worth a chuckle

the kennell owner has said she has done all she can? well she better come up woth something or her butt's gonna have a court date

Last edited by Jim Hall; April 10th, 2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the help with this posting. Yeah, I would think so too. Nice that they think collers are not safe, but I couldn't tell one black lab from the other either. So if everyone else is sure they have the right dog, how come he has the wrong one? Don't you think someone has to have his dog? Anyway this guy brought in the wrong dog to begin with and didn't know it, naw where the heck would the dog of come from and where the heck did his go... wonder if we'll ever beable to find out the outcome.
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Senior Contributor

im surprised all the other owners are so sure they have their own dog I mean it would be as simple as : check the dew claws. Unless theres a multiple black lab mixup...

Maybe theres something more to the story
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Flyball Mom

Wouldn't you think they'd know by the dog's personality, I mean even if I had an exact replica of Willow I would know which was her and which wasn't her.

All you have to do to post a link is copy and paste, you don't have to be an 'accomplished member'.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Senior Contributor

yeah thats what I thought too byrd

But I mean maaaaaaaybe they thought she was just being off when they picked her up and theres no timeline given in the article.....but its weird they needed to have xrays and all to confirm it wasnt her, unless they wanted that to show as concrete proof to the kennel owner.
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Senior Contributor

My guess, as someone who's avocation (like something I do for fun tho it's not always, lol) who sits on a newspaper (and journal boards but they are different - not for mass media, just professionals and specifically interested consumers) editorial board, is that the way this story is written there may be more to it but that is just a guess.

What I do not get is why do people not get some identifying feature for their pet. And while i know most many Seal Point Siamese look similar, I would know my YY in 2 seconds. And all my cats! And dogs and rabbits before them. And my horse - well you get the idea, lol And if you don't, there are types of micro chipping tho I wish someone wold come up with or the govt would mandate a standard , not that they insist everyone do it but that some standard be adopted either by the "industry" or pet organizations. Someone with some standing.

Then again, you hear stories of babies being changed at birth. It's never occurred at the hospital I have privileges at, thank God (we are a women's and Children's hospital). I can "maybe" see THAT happening with baby Seal Points - maybe but even then they are so unique!

In some ways, it does not make sense. I have to say tho some ppl who have lost their pets (read some of the pet detective stories) and some "owners" are unsure if it really is Fluffy a year later? Of course a cat or dog lost and scared will have changed, lost weight, and so on. But I still think I'd know my cats! Fortunately, I've never had to figure it out and since they are all in house pets and even my dogs never went anywhere too far from me - either with me or in an enclosed area - there was not much chance but you just never know when some accident can happen. A visitor leaving a window open (tho with Sphynx and meezers, they hate the cold - I;d worry only when it was above 30C or 90F, lol)
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Kitty pimp

i can well see how it coould happen with 6 black labs really they are all probaly so friendly that they will do anything

theres got to be more to it though nobody else has noticed? thats weird after a while you think they would .
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:40 PM

I don't really think it's a prank,, the guy seems very upfront and I"m sure they would need very hard evidence to prove this is not their dog since the kennel is saying this is the dog they brought in .All the other owners have the right pet from what they say. The Kennel took off the collers thinking that was a wise move. I would put money on someone having the wrong dog and not' even know it.

Reminds me of an old joke where the new candy stripper at the hospital was asked to clean the false teeth of all the patience. She decided it would be easier to pick them all up and clean them,, which she did, but than did not know who's was who's...
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I would have thought that even though the dogs are identical, they would have different personalities and owners would be able to determine which dog was theirs immediately. I am pretty sure if this goes to court all the black labs that were at the shelter will have to come forward for dew claw checks and possibly xrays for possitive ID. Problem with courts, it takes so gosh darn long to get anything accomplished.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:33 AM

I was a little lost when I checked the connection to the other site,, but was ok once I clicked on the dog picture. Amazing really. They must have picked her up in a bit of a rush but still. I wonder if the other owners have been asked to check the dogs claws? Someone has to know something? And I can't see someone wanting the wrong dog if they are responsible enough to kennel their dog and not just leave it at home alone.
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Getting defensive

Just one more reason to have your pets microchipped. Scan the dogs in question and see who is who.

Pugsley Bo
Butterscotch
Burbel Grey
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Like Byrd, I would so know my dog, I would know her blind folded. Seriously.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old April 11th, 2008, 04:16 PM

I don't know if micro chip in this case would help, I mean the guy has the claw thing he can prove and the x-ray he can prove too. Wonder if he gets his dog back?
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:45 PM

Not the whole story is being told...

Indeed there is more to the story. The guy went to pick up his dog, too him home, after a couple hours, realized it wasn't his dog. Came back, said the dog wasn't his because she shakes with the wrong paw. Left dog there, next day came back, said the dog WAS his, took the dog home. 3 days later, called again saying it wasn't his dog. He never brought the dog back in to talk to the kennel owner.

There are no collars allowed on the dogs because they are individually kenneled, and it is a safety hazard to leave collars on at any dog boarding or daycare. And yes, all the other black lab dog owners have been identified, but what is scary is this guy doesn't recognize his own dog. He tried to claim another dog as his, which there was no way was his, didn't even look like her. But ofcourse he's not going to tell that side of the story.
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Doggie Wench

I'm quite positive I'd recognize my dog in a room with a bunch of others too . It'll be interesting to see how the story ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
i can well see how it coould happen with 6 black labs really they are all probaly so friendly that they will do anything
You haven't met our Penny yet.
Old April 12th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Hmmmm the plot thickens.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Getting defensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritsaddle View Post
Indeed there is more to the story. The guy went to pick up his dog, too him home, after a couple hours, realized it wasn't his dog. Came back, said the dog wasn't his because she shakes with the wrong paw. Left dog there, next day came back, said the dog WAS his, took the dog home. 3 days later, called again saying it wasn't his dog. He never brought the dog back in to talk to the kennel owner.

There are no collars allowed on the dogs because they are individually kenneled, and it is a safety hazard to leave collars on at any dog boarding or daycare. And yes, all the other black lab dog owners have been identified, but what is scary is this guy doesn't recognize his own dog. He tried to claim another dog as his, which there was no way was his, didn't even look like her. But ofcourse he's not going to tell that side of the story.
What's your source for this information ?

Pugsley Bo
Butterscotch
Burbel Grey
Old April 12th, 2008, 09:09 PM

My source was the news channel wftv.com I actually would like to know where spiritsaddle got her info because the interview with the kennel owner said nothing about the dog being returnned than came back than return again. On the news, the kennel only said they checked with the other owners and all had their right dogs.

It stated why they took off the collers, it stated they had 6 female black labs,, it did not state any of this information Spirit has brought forward.

I'm not making it up,, I even had the news spot as a ref for people to watch if they so choose to.. Now I would like to see where spiritsaddles information came from because she seems to have an inside track to info that the news didn't.

Kind of interesting that this is your only postspirit and you have so much information on this event? Just curious.. Hope you come back , cause I"d really like to know your source too.

Last edited by Reality; April 12th, 2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old April 13th, 2008, 04:00 PM
^ Mishou

my cat is such a weird o and i mean it would be harder to mix her up cuz of her markinds but given that im sure i would have senced it right away by personality, but i feel bad for the family, its like if uncle ed went into the hospital n u actually go sum1 elses uncle ned....yah it would be weird like a stranger in ur home...i mean we all love animals but the attachment wouldnt be there, poor family....im sure they loved the dog more then uncle ed...or ned for that matter...
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:24 AM

It's April 14th any more word on how this is going? I"d love to know the out come.
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:49 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritsaddle View Post

Having worked at a boarding kennel, your comments about removing the collars are absolute crap, the only time collars are removed is if the dog is being bathed. Don't know what kind of unsafe kennels they use if this is a neccessary practice. Not to mention, did they have the permission from any or all of the owners to put their dog in with the other 5. Personally all 6 dogs should be brought back in and any minus dew claws should be x-rayd. I can understand the owner not totally noticing at first, he just got home, his dog has been locked away in a strange place so yeah he might act a little different. And i would also like to know where you got your info.
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

"There are no collars allowed on the dogs because they are individually kenneled"

I think the terms crate/kennel may have gotten confused here... because at the daycare/boarding kennel that I use, they too remove all collars before crating any dog. it's a safety precaution so the dog doesn't accidentally get the tags caught in the crate wires/holes and choke itself. I don't know anything of this particular story, so can't comment on that or the boarding facility in question, just wanted to say that removing collars prior to crating is quite common.
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Personally all 6 dogs should be brought back in and any minus dew claws should be x-rayd.
Makes perfect sense, wonder why that hasn't been done?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 15th, 2008, 03:08 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Makes perfect sense, wonder why that hasn't been done?
It makes sense to me too. Maybe Mr. Grigg's lawyer will be able to get them to do that.
Old April 15th, 2008, 03:12 AM
-

This story says there was "seven" other black labs at the kennel and all seven owners say they got the right dog back.

http://olive-3.live.advance.net/news...l=7&thispage=1
Old April 15th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Well somebody is not telling the truth, either the kennel or the owners of the 7 other dogs who are females.

Wonder if something happened at the kennel and the kennel replaced the dog thinking the owners wouldn't notice?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 15th, 2008, 07:22 AM

Reading that second piece, it sounded like the dog Dixie may be Callie, it wasn't clear from the story if the family had actually gotten a chance to see that other dog. A meeting was arranged, but the other owner was late... does that mean she never showed? And then the family spotted the dog they had returned and thought she was theirs. I do find it hard to understand that people don't recognize the dog is not theirs immediately, like even before they brought her home. But, maybe they were in a hurry and thought the dog was just tired or something... Mine usually is after boarding, or even a day of daycare. He is just more mellow and tired after that, however, I doubt I'd ever bring home the wrong dog, in spite of the fact a couple other dogs at the daycare do look very much like him. Or, maybe all the others really do have the right dog. The kennel could have lost their dog and replaced her with a dead ringer. I'm not saying they did, but there always possibilities.
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/669963