Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old April 5th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Currently Catless - In need of advice

Hi everyone!

I'm so happy I discovered this forum. I have been reading some posts and, I have to say, I really admire and respect your love for animals. I decided to join the forum because I am sure I will find good advice here.

I'm 31 years old. I just moved to the GTA from Mexico in July. In Mexico we lack a culture of love for animals. I had always thought of myself as a "cat lover" but it wasn't until some years ago, when my Canadian bf moved in with me and we adopted two cats, that I began to understand what it really means to be an animal lover; now that I'm reading your posts I am educating myself even further. Canadian bf and I broke up some time ago and I feel my cats and my new outlook towards animals are the best thing to have come out of that relationship.

Here is where I need your advice. I left my cats, Rocky and Chatito, in Mexico with my parents (my sister and her two children live in the same house as well). I call every single week to check up on the cats. My biggest concern is that they will run away because of how the houses are built there, they can easily scale the walls and go onto the roofs of the neighbouring houses. Rocky has already gone missing twice for up to a week because he is such a fatty that he couldn't get back over the wall. My mom has him sleep in her room now but during the day, he's free to roam.

I came to Canada thinking that I would bring my cats over once I was settled in with my other-new-Canadian-bf-now husband. Unfortunately we live with my in-laws and supposedly they were allergic. However, we learned that they are not allergic when we cared for a friend's cat for a month (what's up with ppl claiming cat allergies so loosely?).

Anyway, now the "path" has been cleared for my cats. Problem is...how hard is it to bring a cat into Canada? I'm aware of the vaccination regulations. But what else should I consider? I'm having some more doubts because the trip is so long. I have already put my cats through three moves: twice within the same city and the other was a two hour trip to my parents'. To get from where my parents live to Mexico City or Guadalajara where I could fly from to Toronto is a 6 hour bus ride, add to that another 4.5 hours of air travel and the extra hours at the airport. Is that a little much or can they take it? Help.
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Siamese Rescue just transported an entire family of cats from Pakistan (with a layover in London where they rested up with someone there) - that was to Texas mind you - but I am sure with all the proper medical documentation, it can be done. I have brought my little Siamese back and forth to Florida sans problems.
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Welcome

Welcome to the board.

That's a tough one to answer. I would tend to look at it this way.. are your cats safe where they are? Are they happy, well cared for and loved? If the answer to all these questions is yes, then leave them where they have become comfortable. If you answered no, then perhaps the stress of the long trip will be worth it to them in the long run?

Sorry, don't know if that helped or not.
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:37 PM

BMDLuver,

It does help, thank you.

And thank you as well, Cyberkitten.
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome Chatito!!
welcome both to the board and to !

As for the cats I say do it. Its one trip. One time (I wouldn't say its fair to do it more then once or twice). But if you think that its worth it then I think they would think its worth it. Atleast you can say you have some well travelled cats!

If worse comes to worse and you know your cats are safe in Mexico then leave there and Toronto has many many strays that need a forever home.
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh one more thing. call the airline they would fly on and get all the regulations they require for transport. There are certain crate/cage reg.s. Also have someone send them with a blanket for both as in the cabins it can get quite cold.
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatito
Hi everyone!

Anyway, now the "path" has been cleared for my cats. Problem is...how hard is it to bring a cat into Canada? I'm aware of the vaccination regulations. But what else should I consider? I'm having some more doubts because the trip is so long. I have already put my cats through three moves: twice within the same city and the other was a two hour trip to my parents'. To get from where my parents live to Mexico City or Guadalajara where I could fly from to Toronto is a 6 hour bus ride, add to that another 4.5 hours of air travel and the extra hours at the airport. Is that a little much or can they take it? Help.

They'll be fine. Just be sure you have proper carriers.

Check these links for more info.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...rt/catse.shtml

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...gage/pets.html
Old April 8th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Ty Luvmypit for the warm welcome

Thank you Gazoo for the helpful links. I've decided to bring only one of my cats when the time comes and adopt another one here. Chatito seems to be doing just fine at my parents, there's never a complain about her and when Rocky was lost she was thrilled, so I heard. Guess she'd rather be alone than have Rocky's company.

Ty so much everyone!