Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old July 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Hi 14+!

I'm starting to wonder about the vet Steri-Animal uses. You never vaccinate a sick animal as it bombards their immune system and makes them weaker. The vet should have detected the problem when cpietra brought them in and treat it and then vaccinate them.

One thing you can do to help them since they are on antibiotics is to give them organic (if possible) plain yogourt to restore the good bacteria in their intestines. It's a naturopath who told me this last week.

Who knows what they inhaled while they were outside the factory and when mom brought them in!

Thank you again for taking such good care. Is their anything I can do to help? I feel so helpless beign so farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr away!
Old July 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmonster View Post
Hi 14+!

I'm starting to wonder about the vet Steri-Animal uses. You never vaccinate a sick animal as it bombards their immune system and makes them weaker. The vet should have detected the problem when cpietra brought them in and treat it and then vaccinate them.

One thing you can do to help them since they are on antibiotics is to give them organic (if possible) plain yogourt to restore the good bacteria in their intestines. It's a naturopath who told me this last week.

Who knows what they inhaled while they were outside the factory and when mom brought them in!

Thank you again for taking such good care. Is their anything I can do to help? I feel so helpless beign so farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr away!
I wondered that myself MM. But it's not my place to say anything. The yogurt is already part of their diet. (told you we have some good kitty gurus here )
Kittens will get their second set of shots when, and not before, they are all healthy. Mom will get her shots and spayed as soon as she is on her feet so to speak. She told me she would give me low income rates to fix her. If she hadn't agreed I would have taken Naddy to the rescue I work through in TO to have her done. Just like I have the other 50+ that have been done through them. The kittens will be going to TO to be fixed when they are old enough - another month or so.
Actually, I would love some more info on the natural flea meds. It is expensive using Revolution for 43 kitties.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 8th, 2010, 02:29 PM

14+ is there anyway you can give me your phone # so I can speak to you??? It would be much easier for me. My e-mail at home is you can send it there so no-one else can see it.

Just toooooooooooo long to write!!!

You do have great gurus! I'm so glad to see more poeple aware of all this!!!

Last edited by GateKeeper; July 8th, 2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: no personal emails please
Old July 8th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Ah I see MM is from my old home stomping grounds of Point Claire! Small world. 14+ you will have your little family whipped into shape in no time I'm sure. You are such a kitty angel - but I think I've told you that before (like 100+ times). Bless you bless you bless you... it goes on....
Old July 8th, 2010, 03:48 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
14+ is there anyway you can give me your phone # so I can speak to you??? It would be much easier for me. My e-mail at home is you can send it there so no-one else can see it.

Just toooooooooooo long to write!!!

You do have great gurus! I'm so glad to see more poeple aware of all this!!!
MM - I sent you a PM (private message). To get it go to the top right where it says private message and click. It will open and you just click on the message to open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Ah I see MM is from my old home stomping grounds of Point Claire! Small world. 14+ you will have your little family whipped into shape in no time I'm sure. You are such a kitty angel - but I think I've told you that before (like 100+ times). Bless you bless you bless you... it goes on....
Thank you my friend.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by GateKeeper; July 8th, 2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: no personal emails please
Old July 8th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I do not want to blame or question Steri Animal. They do what they can and at this clinic, you never know which vet you will get. This is the first time I have had this much trouble with cats and kittens being sick.
I have taken in litters from factories similar to where Naddy came from and when it works, well, its great, but unfortunately when it doesn't it doesn't. Steri Animal has helped me with all the cats that came through my house, without any questions, paying for all their meds and vet visits when possible.
It was very unfortunate but I do not want to start questioning thier good intentions.

Quote:
Hi 14+!

Old July 8th, 2010, 04:58 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
I do not want to blame or question Steri Animal. They do what they can and at this clinic, you never know which vet you will get. This is the first time I have had this much trouble with cats and kittens being sick.
I have taken in litters from factories similar to where Naddy came from and when it works, well, its great, but unfortunately when it doesn't it doesn't. Steri Animal has helped me with all the cats that came through my house, without any questions, paying for all their meds and vet visits when possible.
It was very unfortunate but I do not want to start questioning thier good intentions.
Oh hon, I am in no way blaming you or the organization. It's possible the vet was having a bad day or the day the kitties went in they were good. Sometimes it takes a while for things to show up. I spoke out of turn. I apologize. I guess it was out of frustration for Naddy.
We have a vet here that a lot of people think is wonderful. In fact I used him too until I found out, fairly early in our business together, that he allowed his wife in the operation room with him to sew up cats after spaying. She has no training. With a large organization like a rescue you sometimes get one that doesn't quite fit the bill.
But I am in no way upset with you or Steri Animal. I'm sorry.

Old July 8th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I think part of the reason for Naddy's illness is the stress of the move, so illness may not have been prevalent for the vet who vaccinated her. Poor girl, but she will settle in and be on the mend soon. I do think Naddy may need to have her lungs listened to, just in case the congestion may have turned into pneumonia . I am sure that factory didn't have the cleanest air .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 8th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, more cuties. I hope the little ones and Naddy get better soon!

How much L-lysine do you give them? The vet told me it would be good for Czari but I'm not sure how much.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 8th, 2010, 05:38 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Oh, more cuties. I hope the little ones and Naddy get better soon!

How much L-lysine do you give them? The vet told me it would be good for Czari but I'm not sure how much.
You can get a get type where cats get 1/4 tsp twice a day in their food or on their paw to lick off or a powder that they get one rounded scoop twice a day. It's called Viralys. Or at least the one I have is. I am sure if you asked your vet she/he could get it for you.

Old July 8th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
You can get a get type where cats get 1/4 tsp twice a day in their food or on their paw to lick off or a powder that they get one rounded scoop twice a day. It's called Viralys. Or at least the one I have is. I am sure if you asked your vet she/he could get it for you.
I have a powder version that came with a little scoop, but the scoop is in the amount for a person. I've been giving her about a quarter of that. I have to take Vlad in next week, so I'll ask the vet then. Thanks!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:54 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Actually, I would love some more info on the natural flea meds. It is expensive using Revolution for 43 kitties.
My MIL saw a segment on the Today Show awhile back ago about natural flea meds. It was all about using natural Peppermint and Orange oils. So she went to a health store and bought me a bottle of each (very small bottles as it's natural). I use an old eye dropper and put a few (4 or 5) drops between the blades of the neck and just above the tail on ALL the animals.

I've done this for about the last month alternating between the peppermint then orange, once a week and it really has worked with minimal flea infestation and no ill effects on kitties and dogs.

I also use the Zodiac area spray on rugs and bedding too as added protection.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:29 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
I know steri-animal is doing an amazing job and unfortunately you or them have no control on which vet checks the animals. Not all vets are good and maybe the one that checked them just did not do a thorough examination. I'm not blaming you or steri-animal. I'm sorry if it came out that way. Hope you forgive me

The important thing is that everybody gets better