Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:39 AM

Cat with Glaucoma

Hello,

I just registered to this forum and am seeking assistance for my cat, so I'm hoping someone can help me out.

My family and I own a 16 year old tuxedo cat that was born with one larger yellow eye and a regular green eye. Because I have had her for so long, I did not really notice the difference in her eye size until several people who were visiting pointed it out, so I decided to do some background research and realized that she may have glaucoma. Furthermore, I found that cats born with glaucoma would be near-impossible to cure.

As she is 16 years old, her age is starting to take its toll and her glaucoma is becoming progressively worse. Her pupil is more dilated than the other, it is also clouded and has a slight "bulge" to it. As a kitten up until her adult stage, her eyes were different sizes but it did not affect her in any way, nor did it really advance so we did not worry about it. Right now she seems to be in pain--she does not like when anyone pats her on that area and during evenings, the glaucoma turns for the worse and she can barely open that eye (in the morning her eye is fine). She has not lost any weight, her appetite is fine and she uses the litter box regularly.

I would like to know if there's anything off the counter I can get that would ease my cat's discomfort and possibly help with her glaucoma. If anyone has advice as to what I should do, I will be happy to hear it.

Thank you so much for your time.

Last edited by Prish; February 3rd, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

How come you can't take her to the vet?

Glaucoma can be extremely painful. It really would be a good idea to have her eye looked at and treated.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 28th, 2013, 02:55 PM

I think you are saying that you researched the problem with your kitty`s eye and think she has glaucoma. If that is what you are saying, are you talking about her entire eyeball or her pupil (the dark spot in the center of her eye)? There are many causes of an enlarged eye including a head injury when she was a kitten. You also say your kitty's eye is cloudy, that is usually a sign of cataracts, not glaucoma. Cataracts often happen to people and pets as they get older and often special eye drops from a vet are needed to treat the problem.

Your kitty could have also scratched her eye while rubbing her face on something which might account for her having difficulty keeping her eye open at night. Please let us know how you decided your kitty has glaucoma, what other symptoms does she have?

I also wonder like SCM why you can't take your kitty to a vet because you don't mention it in your post.