Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old January 7th, 2012, 03:03 PM

20yr old male tabby

Hello everyone. My cat Rex has always been a very large cat. Probably 20-25 lbs with what we called a beer gut below. Everyone always told me he was overweight but he was always happy, active, and athletic so we never really did anything about it other than making sure he had to walk up plenty of steps to get his food.

I've since moved from my family's house to an apt and they did not want to keep him so he came to live with me. I've been here for about year and he's lost a lot of weight, isn't as athletic, and whines a few times a day. He still does look fairly happy but looks a little sick.

He seems to eat normally 3-4 times a day but nothing at the bottom of the bowl. His drinking habits is a bit odd though. He prefers to drink water either out of the faucet, toilet, and shower. Obviously he prefers the running water but his second and third choices are drips and puddles respectively.

To combat this I purchased him a running water fountain which he pretty much ignores. He also tips the the bowls over I have laying out for him.

So so medical history - Well honestly there isn't anyway. My family was unfortunately a victim of veterinary malpractice with a previous pet so they seldom go. I don't think he's been in 10-12yrs.

I would like to take him but I'm fairly afraid of the costs associated. I'm in a pay check to pay check situation now and while I could probably afford a one time visit but continued cared and medication unfortunately is not in the budget.

I admit I know little about cats but isn't 20 very elderly? I've had him since I was a child and wsnt in a very stable situation so I had to move allot and thus petrified of the cat carrier/

I also live in the US but this seemed like the most active board. Any suggestions? or maybe a better board to post this on?

EDIT Maybe he's not 20 but 15-16 or so.

Thank you all.

Last edited by achangeofspeed; January 7th, 2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: over estimation of age
Old January 7th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forum, I am not a cat fancier but there will be someone along soon who will be able to answer some of your questions. I know the first one they will ask is...what kind of food are you feeding? When you can post some pictures we love to ooh and ahhhh over furbabies. patti
Old January 7th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Willing cat servant

It could be the move. Maybe it's emotional ?
And yes your Mr. Tabby is a senior cat so (and I know this is easier said than done) he should have at least annual checks with the vet or 6 months checks. They can also recommend vitamins if needed of course. My goddess Hilda is 16 and ever since she started on vitamins for senior cats she got a new lease on life, although she's always been a very healthy, strong cat. But she seemed renewed ever since. (vitamins under vet's advice)
Does he poop and pees normally?
And yes, you'll be asked what do you feed your kitty. Food can be a key factor in their health, prevents a lot of problems when the quality is good.
I know how devastating for the budget vet bills can be and it takes time to recover from them but sometimes I have to since they're a part of the family and I love them.
Old January 8th, 2012, 10:17 AM

Try bottled water for a few days. Perhaps your tap water has something in it he doesn't fancy.
I'm thinking clorine but could be something else.
Old January 8th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wow 20 years old, that is wonderful.

Your cat absolutely needs to go in for bloodwork. My first guesses are:

Diabetes or Thyroid issues, which are both easily controlled by meds.

You may also check to see if there are any foundations that assist low income people with help with vet bills, or a vet that will accept a payment plan. Your local humane society or SPCA may have those answers readily available for you.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Willing cat servant

Those 2 are great advices from Hazmat and L4H
Specially "You may also check to see if there are any foundations that assist low income people with help with vet bills, or a vet that will accept a payment plan. Your local humane society or SPCA may have those answers readily available for you."

That can always help a lot!

And me as well hope you keep us updated.
Best luck for Rex and you
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:26 AM

your elderly cat

Hi,

Do you have any updates about your cat?

Did you bring him to the vet? How is he doing now?
20 years old is a ripe old age! Do you have any pics of the old fellow to share?

sandyrivers
Elphin April 21st 2008 m -cat
Stibule(Gino,Airell,Katla,Rasta)June 6th 2009 f- cat
Gino Ferrero April 8th 2010 m -cat
Airell Awenn Awnfenn Ep Berrth April 8th 2010 f- cat
Katla Chilam Balam April 8th 2010 f- cat
Rasta Farian Marley April 9th 2010 m- cat
Chipcat-Filou found June 12th 2011 (Ocicat 6months old) f-cat
Jane the Snow Cat rescued Dec27th 2012 f- cat