Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old December 11th, 2008, 10:36 PM
New Parent

Carrier and Leash Training

My kitten is 14 Weeks an indoor cat
but I want to leash train her so that in the spring and summer she's able to go outside and get that fresh air. Does anyone have and suggestions on how to train her for this I have seen video's on youtube but none seemed very helpful...

Next question, I live in Burlington but travel to stoney creek for the weekend bringing little Lumi with me in her carrier. But she just meows and meows and tries her best to escape (which on occasion she does which is why I have her leash threaded through and attached to my wrist. How can I make her see shes okay in there and make her comfortable and like being in it. I've tried leaving it in the area of her food and in eye sight so she framiliures herself with it...that was 2 weeks ago

she still hates the thing.
Old December 11th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Senior Contributor

This may help with the leash training.

http://cats.about.com/library/howto/htwalkleash.htm

And this

http://blog.worldvillage.com/home/le..._your_cat.html

As for the carrier,you need to start off slowly..Continue to keep it open.Put a towel/blanket it there.You can even put some treats in there.Even better,some toys.Sit there with her and toss the toys/treats in there...This is really not different then starting crate training for pups.This is how I did it for my cats. When she gets used to it a bit and she's inside,then close the door for a bit,talk to here though.

Then when it's closed,carry it around for a bit...Get her used to the moving around.My cats will still meow when they are in it...
Old December 12th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Catlover2

Britt, All the previous suggestions about leash training and making your cat comfortble in a carrier are excellent. In my experience it isn't the carrier the cat objects to, it's being in the car --- the stops and starts, the noise of traffic, the fast moving scenery going by. I used to show cats for 15 years, and all my show cats were well trained in being comfortable in a carrier, but the car was another thing. Most cats were not bothered by it at all, even tho I trained them all the same way by putting them in it and making short trips--to the corner store, going around a few blocks, every day. Some cats will get a phobia about a carrier if it always means a trip to the vet. But some cats just don't like car rides. I remember one or two of my cats always got car sick, most didn't, some just settled and went to sleep, some howled every time they got in the car the whole trip from beginning to end and, believe me, it wasn't a pleasant thing on a trip of 200 miles! Burlington to Stoney Creek isn't that long a drive. A blanket over the carrier will keep cat more settled, and a little catnip toy, and it's own towel or blanket with its scent or yours (like a Tshirt) helps. But some cats just don't like car trips.
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You should be harness training her, not leash. It is too easy for a kitten/cat to escape from a leash. Harness with two leashes attached in case one comes free IMO.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have all my cats trained with a harness. Best to start now by putting the harness on for short periods inside the house (no leash attached) so she will get used to the harness. She will need to be completely supervised as she may struggle to get the harness out and can get her legs caught up in it. If she just lies down, leave her be, she'll get up on her own. After she is used to the feel of the harness, you can attach a leash and practice inside the house, encouraging her to follow you by giving her treats. You can even train her with commands such as "come" and "stop", that is, if she is willing to be obey .

The other thing I have trained my cats when they first went outside is the command "get in the house", they know that means they are to run to the deck, just in case of emergencies.

Don't expect her to walk like a dog, cats have their own agenda on walks .

Good luck.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 12th, 2008, 03:01 PM
New Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
You should be harness training her, not leash. It is too easy for a kitten/cat to escape from a leash. Harness with two leashes attached in case one comes free IMO.
She has no problem with the leash (which is a harness but not a walking jacket) its getting her to walk, she'll walk around fine on her own, but god forbid when I pick it up she sits flat on her bum and refuses to move
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:35 AM
New Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
Britt, All the previous suggestions about leash training and making your cat comfortble in a carrier are excellent. In my experience it isn't the carrier the cat objects to, it's being in the car --- the stops and starts, the noise of traffic, the fast moving scenery going by. I used to show cats for 15 years, and all my show cats were well trained in being comfortable in a carrier, but the car was another thing. Most cats were not bothered by it at all, even tho I trained them all the same way by putting them in it and making short trips--to the corner store, going around a few blocks, every day. Some cats will get a phobia about a carrier if it always means a trip to the vet. But some cats just don't like car rides. I remember one or two of my cats always got car sick, most didn't, some just settled and went to sleep, some howled every time they got in the car the whole trip from beginning to end and, believe me, it wasn't a pleasant thing on a trip of 200 miles! Burlington to Stoney Creek isn't that long a drive. A blanket over the carrier will keep cat more settled, and a little catnip toy, and it's own towel or blanket with its scent or yours (like a Tshirt) helps. But some cats just don't like car trips.

I usually take the bus, just to parkdale (halfhour drive) but theres some walking between there. She prefers to jump in my jacket and fall asleep in there?!?!
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Desnoyers View Post
She has no problem with the leash (which is a harness but not a walking jacket) its getting her to walk, she'll walk around fine on her own, but god forbid when I pick it up she sits flat on her bum and refuses to move
That is to be expected, lol, when do they do what we want them to do?

Let her walk around with the leash still for a while., you walking beside her with the leash slack. If you want her to change directions, then a very gentle tug and entice her with treats to get her to go in the direction you want. It takes patience to get a kitty to walk on a leash.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 13th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Catlover2

Oh, you travel by bus? I assumed you were taking her in a car. Maybe one of those front pouch baby carriers would do the trick then?