Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:26 PM

One and a half week mark- Update and question

Ok so as you all know Duke has officially been on a raw diet for just over a week now. So far everything has gone well, no runny stools,no itching and he LOVES his new diet. I started him off on Natural Paws complete chicken pre made raw patties to start as It made me feel easier about getting into the process. Four days into the diet after his stools seemed fine ( firmer then normal I must say) I began adding 1/2 a boneless chicken breast with the two patties per meal. I've gradually begun increasing this amount to the point I am now at 1 chicken boneless breast with 1 and a half chicken patties and am ready to add in my first raw meaty bone source and further decrease the amount of patties he eats until finally he is eating the proper ratio of meat to offal to bones without the patties at all.

I'm wondering which would be the best first RMB to try adding. Chicken legs and backs seem to be a popular choice as well as wings though I've heard of many sharp small bones in the wings so at the moment I'm leaning towards the latter and was hoping for a recomendation.

Over the next few weeks-months depeding on how long it takes him to adjust I want to slowly reduce the amount of patties he eats by adding in my own RMB's and offal sources as well as mashed up greens twice a week until finally I am making my own raw by myself without the patties. They ran out of chicken patties this week so I ended up buying the turkey instead. These patties were pretty much identical to the chicken except the chicken offal is changed to turkey offal (chicken is still the first ingredint). He ate it no problem and his stools are still small and firm however I've noticed the last two days a bit of it has been more yellowish then normal.

Should this be a cause for concern or is it just due to the new meat source being introduced? On the first night of eating it he actually did dry hack and cough up a small amount of spit/clear liquid though that was the only time I've ever seen him do it and it hasn't happened since. My first though was possibly he's allergic to turkey but hes had stuffed turkey hoofes and marrow bones in the past with no issues so I am unsure.

Thanks
Kayla