Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old August 17th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Skunks

I love skunks, their faces, fur, tails and personalities. Don't even find their scent obnoxious, have removed many many trapped skunks from people's sheds, under their houses and in their garages. So this afternoon my friend Donna phoned me and said that so and so has a skunk in a live trap and is going to shoot it. We rush over there and the poor thing is sitting in the hot sun and has been in the trap since since Friday night, no water or shade. This guy hates any wildlife that disturbs his pristine lawn which is professionally landscaped, pruned, cut and planted by-monthly or so and says this f---- skunk has made holes in his precious lawn while searching for grubs. "You DO live in the country" I say and "if you shoot this animal he will release his scent glands" and proceed to quietly place a dark towel over the cage and prepare to take the cage and it's contents to a friend who re-habs baby wildlife and welcomes all creatures, any size or age. IDIOT lets his dog loose from the house and of course it charges the cage and you know what happens next. So then IDIOT really wants to shoot it (more than ever now) especially since his dog is sprayed and the smell lingers on his property and starts to call us stupid bitches. Donna backs up the car and we place the whole contraption with Mr. Stinky in the trunk. The poor skunk is really freaked but we proceed to the re-habers and release him into one of her barns where theres water, food and friends. We basically did this guy a favour although my main goal was to save this skunk and this is how we're treated. Am going to ride one of the horses from the next farm all over his lawn the next time he's away for the weekend and leave gaping hoof prints everywhere.
Old August 17th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet View Post
Am going to ride one of the horses from the next farm all over his lawn the next time he's away for the weekend and leave gaping hoof prints everywhere.

I hope it's Winter before he can rid of the smell .

Although I don't care for my dogs getting sprayed, they are the cutest things aren't they . When my older son was a wee baby, I used to take him for car drives in the middle of the night and used to see so many mommy skunks with their babies following close behind .
Old August 17th, 2008, 11:32 PM
boubou

Way to go for saving that poor skunk. I don't know about Ontario laws but in Quebec it's illegal to kill wildlife for being a 'nuissance'. Maybe Mr. So and So should be made aware of this...

I love skunks too and think they are soo misunderstood. They really are sweet little creatures. A baby skunk was left in a box at my shop's doorstep one morning and when I looked in, I thought he was dead - he wasn't moving and was so cold. But he wasn't and I kept him for four months and he lived in the house with us like a cat - followed me everywhere. But he did start to smell and I couldn't set him free, he was too domesticated, so I found a rehab center and brought him there I loved him so much!
Old August 17th, 2008, 11:36 PM

Good for you! Wish more people cared that much for our wonderful wildlife.

I`ve seen many skunks wander the streets where I live whenever I go out at night. Makes me nervous being a busy city, but I suppose there probably isn`t too many safe places to begin with.
Old August 18th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Bravo for getting the skunk out of there alive. I'd like to pop that guy in a cage in the sun without water and see how he likes it. Bet he doesn't feel like a real man until he picks up his gun.
Old August 18th, 2008, 12:34 AM
-

What a flippin moron that guy is. Many thanks to you and your friend for saving Mr. Stinky.

Quote:
Am going to ride one of the horses from the next farm all over his lawn the next time he's away for the weekend and leave gaping hoof prints everywhere.
Make sure the horse is well fed first so he leaves a few calling cards as well.
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:19 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Good for you t.pettet.. they really are little sweeties and unless you move quickly or threaten them they wont spray, we had one in mississauga that we saved from a window well and he seemed to adopt us and would come visit, over time he'd bring his mate and little ones so we could see them, he'd come to visit while we were outside playing cards,etc. he just wanted to say hi and get some popcorn... I watched my neighbour one morning sitting outside, he was talking to me across the road, he has a black and white cat, thought it was the cat that came up beside him, proceeded to pat its head while talking to me, i'm like ummmm jerry that's not frost, he looks down says " oh s$%t and continued to pat it a couple more times, then it just wandered off.
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:53 AM
border collie mama

good job t.pettet! i dont understand why the guy didnt move the skunk himself, instead of killing it. Skunks are misunderstood, they are sweet and cuddly ( well.if domesiticated) . And i really like that wholw riding over his lawn!
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:10 AM
NOT a senior member

What a PR**K! Anyone who puts a living creature through such torment as he has definately has it coming. I would think that knowingly keeping a trapped animal in the hot sun without shade or water for two days would be breaking some kind of wildlife cruelty law. I am thinking there should be some sort of rule in place to protect wildlife from cruelty and he should know about it.

He also needs to pack up his things and move to suburbia. I wish I could go for that ride with you....an "unexpected" canter on a "runaway" horse could mess up his lawn pretty good.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Skunks

Thanks for all your 'skunk' stories. If I thought that contacting the Ministry of Natural Resources would have charged so and so for cruelty think again. They would have killed it to test for rabies and the SPCA would have probably been legally obligated to turn it over to the ministry also. If it had been a tiny baby it might have been spared but I doubt it. The people who run the wildlife re-hab were raided I think about 4-5 yrs. ago around the same time The Ottawa Carleton Wildlife Center lost a huge number of baby and young racoons and skunks to the ministry because of this ficticious rabies scare. The re-habers got tipped off a day before the raid so all the wildlife were temporarily fostered elsewhere (I had 2 racoon babies to bottle feed for 4 days - so cute) including fawns, squirrels, mice, racoons and skunks until the rehab center was confident the ministry had given up, plus they put a huge gate at the end of their lane that restricted anyone dropping in unannounced. So and so has some friends of mine and the rehab center really watching him and his trapping and I am definitely going to give him some pay-back.
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpledomino View Post
I would think that knowingly keeping a trapped animal in the hot sun without shade or water for two days would be breaking some kind of wildlife cruelty law.
There is. A traped animal can not be in a trap for an extended period of time. And by extended period of time I mean a 1-2 hours.

I would be finding out who he rents the trap from? If he rents, I would contact the SPCA with the organization info and they can follow up on possible charges with the trap company. There are ALOT of shady wildlife companies out there. Only in it for the money and not the best interest of the animal. The one that the SPCA's use is the Humane Wildlife Control. They are assoicated with OSPCA and all the branches and affiliates use them. Looks like these company is one of the shady ones..(if the guy is renting) Also, when traps are given out, the member of the public has to monitor the trap and let the approicate people know when an animal is in the trap. This is where the guy could be charged. Even though, the member of the public as too indeed monitor it, the trapping company has a obligation to contact the public and keep following up on the trap.

If he owns this trap himself...you would call the SPCA, info them that he is trapping animals and leaving them for days, possible weeks in the weather elements and without food and water.

Lanark Animal Welfare Society is OSPCA affiliated and have Animal Cruelty Investigators.

ALSO, I highly doubt they would be euthing a healthy wild animal. It would be released. I work for a SPCA (OSPCA affiliated) and we only euth sick/injured wildlife. If a healthy wild animal is in a trap, it is released..even rabie sector animals...like skunks and raccoons.

At our shelter, we have charged people who are irresponsible with having a trap.

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; August 19th, 2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:03 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I'd be careful with the horse though. The jerk would probably want to go kill all of them just to get the one who wrecked his yard.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Here's hoping that an infestation of Fairy Ring fungus hits his precious lawn.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:25 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

i was hoping for an infestation of grubs since thats probably what little mr. skunk was digging up in the first place.
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:41 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
Way to go for saving that poor skunk. I don't know about Ontario laws but in Quebec it's illegal to kill wildlife for being a 'nuissance'. Maybe Mr. So and So should be made aware of this...

I did call our local HS about a guy once where I used to live... a possum was up on the fence, just sitting there, no doubt waiting for dark so he could run off and some italian jerka** was hitting it with a broom. We were told that it is an offence to intentionally harm non-threatening wildlife, and that if he continued after we warned him, that they would come stop and fine him.
I could understand checking for rabies if there had been reported cases, but killing a poor skunk just because it had the misfortune of finding something good to eat on that 's lawn.... :sad:

Great job on getting the skunk to safety.... and I hope karma bites that guy a good one... right in the a**!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Skunks

To ACO22: Anyone can purchase a live trap from Canadian Tire, Home Hardware or a sporting/hunting shop. They are also sold at auctions and garage sales. These red-neck yahoos in this locale pretty much do as they wish: hunting with spot-lights at night, hunting out of season, without permits, fishing illegally etc. etc. This is a large area with alot of forests and isolated areas and private wood lands. No one snitches on anyone else because the gene pool is very small and everyone is related - lots of cousins) - if your great grand-parents wern't born here then you're consider an outsider or like me (from Montreal) a city person. To have this guy charged with any form of cruelty he would have to be under surveillance from SPCA and unfortunately this county has only 1 cruelty agent who works with LAWS. Contact the Ottawa Carleton Wildlife Centre and they could forward all pertinent info. on the raid from MNR and what became of the wildlife from their facility.
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
To ACO22: Anyone can purchase a live trap from Canadian Tire, Home Hardware or a sporting/hunting shop. They are also sold at auctions and garage sales. These red-neck yahoos in this locale pretty much do as they wish: hunting with spot-lights at night, hunting out of season, without permits, fishing illegally etc. etc. This is a large area with alot of forests and isolated areas and private wood lands. No one snitches on anyone else because the gene pool is very small and everyone is related - lots of cousins) - if your great grand-parents wern't born here then you're consider an outsider or like me (from Montreal) a city person. To have this guy charged with any form of cruelty he would have to be under surveillance from SPCA and unfortunately this county has only 1 cruelty agent who works with LAWS. Contact the Ottawa Carleton Wildlife Centre and they could forward all pertinent info. on the raid from MNR and what became of the wildlife from their facility.
Yes I know anyone can buy a trap. But they are still laws that go when buying a trap. All I am saying is that you should contact the SPCA and they can montior him. If you don't let them know, they won't know what is going on.

And I have to disgree with your comment about not snitching, because then people will know that it was you. Many animals are suffering because of this guy and he needs to be stopped.

I know all about small towns and the folks who live in it. The town can hate me all they want..at least I would know that animals would not suffer.

It seems to me, that you are not being as proactive as you would like to be, because you don't want MNR to euth the animals. I would rather have a animal humanely put down, then suffer and probably starve to death or be drowned, etc..while fighting to get out of a trap.

You NEED to go to your spca. This is what they are for. Protecting animals..ALL animals. At my previous job, I was the only one..who dealt with cruelty, Animal Control. Yeah, I was busy...but I had a job to do and that was too protect animals.

ACO22
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Skunks

Did I say I've never snitched - NO, but did say that these people in this area are closely related and would not want to get involved pointing out one of their relatives plus most don't give a damm about animals, regard wildlife as pests and most of them own hunting dogs which are chained 24/7. This guy is not a avid trapper and this is the 1st instance I've heard where he had actually caught an animal. He did allow us to remove the skunk because he knows of our affiliations, most would have shot it. Also show me the laws regarding purchasing traps and registration forms that must be filled out. As pointed out there is 1, I repeat ONE SPCA cruelty agent for the entire county and he does the best he can answering dog/cat cruelty complaints, all of the the wildlife complaints are referred to MNR who usually don't bother to respond unless its a bear wandering in a built-up area. 4 yrs. ago the OPP came out and shot a bear because the MNR was going to take over an hour to respond. The police have shot deer that were left wounded on the roads from vehicle collisions because the MNR is in Kemptville and its too far. Am not going to debate these FACTS and have been pro-active longer than I can remember, so calm down and do your job and let others work in our own ways to assist any animals in distress.
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:22 AM
Senior Contributor

This guy sounds like a real "Richard Cranium" That's the problem with so many people. "I'll shoot it because it's bothering me." And that he lives in the country and to not expect to have some wild animals invading his precious lawn?

I hope he gets weeds all over his lawn. Someone should take some of those nasty urine bottles of wild animals and pour them all over his garden. I'll bet he'd have a really nice smell then.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Skunks

If you don't like a certain animal or reptile eliminate it. Why do people like that think they have the right? He will never be educated to think differently unfortunately.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If you don't like a certain animal or reptile eliminate it. Why do people like that think they have the right?.
What is this *L* I hope you are not talking about me here. I think it has to do with yes, some cities, counties and towns do not release rabie sector animals. I find this frustating as well and agree that is it not right. The sole reason why they do not relocate/release rabis sector animals is because they do not want to possibly infect another location or spread the disease.

and just so you know..I love ALL animals and protect ALL animals on a daily basis. And could not think of doing anything else. And I don't like how it is thought of that I do not. I find it very hurtful.

Quote:
He will never be educated to think differently unfortunately.

if he is never educated on...he will never know the difference. While in fact he may never think differently, does not give him the right to let an animal suffer.

ACO22
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:49 AM
-

ACO22 *L* is a nose with eyes if you look at it. Maybe it's just me but no where did i see anyone say you didn't love All animals. As for the person t.pettet is talking about, you can't educate someone who wont listen, and your right it doesn't give him the right to hurt animals, none of us who disagree with that.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

t.pettet,I remember the year the MNR,decided to kill thousands of raccoons,foxes,skunks etc..
How people were even hiding any baby wildlife found,or they would have been killed.
I have NO regards for that organization,would never contact them,looking for help
I had an Italian neighbor many years ago(no I am not racist,he was old-school Italian),he kept a net over his cherry-tree.
Any bird caught under there was killed with a stick.
I almost went in to hysterics noticing this,called HS,they came gave him a warning.
His wife showed the agent,a line-up of dead birds in the mans garage-freezer

t.pettet,thank you for rescuing the little skunk,I have holes in my lawn every morning,I figure I am getting my lawn aerated for free
Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I'd just like to suggest that whenever you have an unhappy encounter with OMNR that you follow up and report it to them and perhaps to a local paper. MNR used to be a well regarded Ministry when I worked for it and my OH was a CO. Sadly a lot of the poor responses we now have from them are due to a lack of funding. It is well known in our district that trucks sit idle because if MNR spends it's money now answering complaint calls it is likely they will not have enough left for what is deemed a more crucial activity of investigating hunting complaints come fall. Much of the public does not know this. We all here are as concerned about our wildlife as we are our pets, I think, and perhaps exposing the situation would help.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Longblades,I realize money is always an issue,but even so,the OMNR is supposed to protect our natural resources,not kill.
The shooting of 3.000 Cormorants,the year after the masskillings of our 4-legged wildlife,really made my mind up about the priorities of the OMNR.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 02:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, the cormorants are an issue but I have not seen any news about the investigation yet. Would like to, if you can point me in the right place. Last I heard was, on the cormorants, that MNR was unaware of the killings but was looking into it. It's not geographically near me so you may be more up to date on that one.

Certainly I am not claiming MNR is perfect, or ever was. But they are limited in even the good they can/could do by lack of funding. I still think getting the word out might help. Our tax dollars go to whatever area the politicians think their constituents care about.

One area where MNR has always been criticized, and rightly so I believe, is it's fish and wildlife mandates centre on sport and game species. If a critter is not fished or hunted it gets low priority. Unless, of course, it is threatening those sport/game species. Again, I think that is something Joe Public is unaware of.

Oh yes, there are lots of problems in poor old MNR.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Longblades,I am afraid I don't have much info on what is going on with the Cormorants today,but I read in The Star,that the OMNR is once again considering a kill-off.
The one I am talking about was at least 5-6yrs ago if not longer and it was an organized free-for all,for anyone with a gun
A wild-life protector and artist,Mr Barry McCay(used to have a column in the Star)organized a protest,but to no avail.
To me it does not make sense,moving Geese,shooting Cormorants,killing Raccoons,Foxes and Skunks,there are always more and it causes needless suffering to the creatures who have as much right as we do to this earth.