Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:48 PM
-

Unhappy Warning , long rant.

Rant coming .... so I had a crummy week at work. At 5 , I felt sooo good , thought it was finally over .... I was wrong :sad: on my way home , I took the exit before mine , to stop at a small supermarket at the other town. It's a main road , max 80/h , some people drive faster but it's pretty narrow with lots of curves so you have to be careful.

There's 2 cars in front of me .... I see them go in the other lane as they drove past this black thing .... it's getting on the road .... it's a dog. Walking really slowly , looks very confused. I stopped the car right on the road and put my emergency flashers , get out the car , grab the dog and put him in the car. He's about Chloe's size ... looks old , dirty , matted .... I'm wondering , should I try to find his owners who obviously are not taking great care of him , or just take him home .... but I stop at the first house , as I get out of my car , I hear dogs barking outside , one I can't see (behind farm buildings) and the other I see .... a small black cocker spaniel tied to a doggy house , matted too. :sad: Knock on the door , no answer , I look at the backyard , kind of filthy. Go to another door , ring the bell , young girl comes out , 17-18 yr old. So I ask her if she has another small black dog , says yes. I told her the dog almost got hit by a car ... she replies : oh , I guess the chain he was on detached .... I ask her if all these dogs are outside 24/7 , she says yes. So I start to tell her ; your dogs don't look good , and they shouldn't be outside like this. Specially the one in my car. She says he's ok , just old , I told her no , he needs to see a vet.

She kept apologizing to me , and took the dog inside. As she was taking the dog out of my car (the dog was now on the floor of the back seat) and she didn't know how to get him out. She looked like she didn't want to handle him , never even spoke to him , never said his name.

I shouldn't have stopped , I'm sure the dog is outside again by now. I took the address down but nobody will do anything , they all have doggy houses , water and probably food , they weren't skinny. They are just left outside 24/7 , which kills me.

Sometimes I think about going back to live in the city. I just hate how people treat their animals here. There's not so much abuse , but there is neglect.

I came home and hugged my guys so tight. Then it got dark , I thought about the old dog probably outside .... and I cried. :sad:

If I ever see this little dog again , I will put him in my car , again , but I won't stop until I get to my place.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Senior Contributor

No comment. But i will say this, Go back to the house and take the dogs, nobody will notice, The probablly arent microchipped or hav tags. Leave the collars attached to the chains so it looks like they 'got away'.

Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

aaaaw poor puppy, i'd go back late at night and take the dog, but that's just me.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
aaaaw poor puppy, i'd go back late at night and take the dog, but that's just me.
I would but the dogs over there were very barky ... owners would wake right up. :sad: it's also very dark , like at my house , so you would notice if someone is walking with a flashlight

:sad:
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Awwww It must have been awful :sad: for you and the dogs .

that's one of the reasons I got rid of my trailer, I just couldn't handle all the dead animals on the road all the way up there and back, seeing cows baking in a field on hot summer days with not one tree or bit of shade and the total lack of compassion that so many counrty people have for animals.....they treat there animals like the rock or tree in the yard :sad: seeing

Why have animals ?I understand livestock is about money, but shouldn't they protect and care for their investment

Why have a dog, or dogs if your gonna tie them 50 yards from the house to a crappy dog house with no shade???

I prefer city life......not that city folk don't abuse animals, it's just harder becuase there are more people around to see.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post

I prefer city life......not that city folk don't abuse animals, it's just harder becuase there are more people around to see.
After things like today , I would go back in the city , if I didn't have so many pets

2 weeks ago it was neglected horses that had escaped from their fenced area ... right in my backyard. :sad: twice within a week. I complained so much to the animal control guy , saying I took pics and would call the spca and complain to the police and so on , he knows the owner so he must had talk to him. Haven't seen the horses behind my house since.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy you had a crappy week.. & this didnt help.

just sending huggs..
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:38 PM
~Cat Servent~

That just sucks Frenchy! :sad: Poor doggies!

Hubby and I ran into something similar once, stopped on a busy rural hwy and picked up an old girl, matted and a bit sick looking, took her into an arena and called the police, when they arrived they recognized her and said that it happens often, and her owner had been warned numerous times.... she looked a bit sick and I imagine there was no vet care awaiting her anytime soon from what I gathered.... but we were far from home and the cops were taking her back home... it just broke my heart to know she'd probably end up right back on the highway and maybe not be so lucky next time. Some people just don't deserve the love of their animals.

I hope you have a good weekend snuggling your pups and kitties... I know that always makes me feel a bit better too!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Living in the city isn't much better Frenchy, trust me! I was driving home one time, an old German Shepherd was wondering around Atwater street near Linoulx Groux Metro.

I stopped the car, the dog is eating garbage, his fur is all dirty. When I approached the dog, he took off to an duplex a block away. He runs up the stairs, I follow him and I knock at the door. One the balcony, there's empty bottles of JD and beer.

A girl about 18 years old answers the door in her PJ'S, it's 6:30pm! I asked her if this is her dog. She says yes and I said he was on Atwater street he could have been killed. She says "he's alright, he does that."

She had no concern about her dog wondering around downtown MTL on one of the most busiest streets. I can go on how stupid people are in the city, but I don't have enough time to do so!
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

to you, Frenchy. That is tough to see no matter where you live. Country or city, it isn't any different.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk View Post

She had no concern about her dog wondering around downtown MTL on one of the most busiest streets.

The girl I met kept apologizing because I kept telling her this was unnaceptable to leave the dogs outside , these were small dogs etc .... I'm guessing the parents have the last word and she's this way because of them.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Warning , long rant

I can so empathize with how frustrated and depressed these situations make you feel.:sad:
Old October 4th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

City or country, doesn't matter Frenchy. Neglect is everywhere.

Cindy
Old October 4th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy,so sorry you have to go through these kind of horrible situations.
I know how it just don't leave your head,you think of these poor animals 24/7 feeling yo need to do something:sad:

We have friends in Georgetown,their neighbor has 2 Papillons outside in a pen,with igloo-doghouses 24/7 all year around.
It bothers me sooo much I don't even want to visit our friends.
Nothing can be done about it,they are,according to the SPCA,not breaking any laws

Frenchy,at least you saved this little guys life,this time
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:46 PM
boubou

Frenchy - you can always go back to the house and tell them you fell in love with their dog, he looks just like the dog you had growing up, blah, blah, blah, and please, can you have him. Thats how I got Little Bear - my dog who was tied up on a four foot chain for 16 years! BTW, i still have her and shes close to 20 years old!
They will probably be a little reluctant at first, but play innocent and very sad and theyll give in!
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:53 PM

People seem to be having a hard time lately :sad: Hopefully frenchy you and other folks can hold on until Halloween chocolate goes on sale

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu
Old October 4th, 2008, 02:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
Frenchy - you can always go back to the house and tell them you fell in love with their dog, he looks just like the dog you had growing up, blah, blah, blah, and please, can you have him.
I thought about leaving her my phone number but I can't have 5 dogs :sad: I can barely afford mine right now. Had to take Chloe to the vet this morning $282.00 for a UTI , she may be anemic too .... and Sam will need meds soon , and these meds are very pricey. :sad:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKat View Post
People seem to be having a hard time lately :sad: Hopefully frenchy you and other folks can hold on until Halloween chocolate goes on sale
Don't worry , there's already chocolate here
Old October 4th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Franchy, I know how you feel. Just reading your rant I can't help but feel for that poor dog who is no doubt outside right now.

Every time I see a dog or cat wandering the street, it kills me. For several seconds I start to think about how I could make it work if I took them home, but I know I can't. I wish people weren't so cold hearted.:sad:
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 4th, 2008, 07:17 PM

Some people just suck.
Old October 4th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Ohhhh Frenchy....:sad:

I will never understand the logic of some people.......
Old October 5th, 2008, 02:12 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
That is tough to see no matter where you live. Country or city, it isn't any different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
City or country, doesn't matter Frenchy. Neglect is everywhere.

Cindy
As a "country dweller" I agree.

Any updates, Frenchy?
Old October 5th, 2008, 05:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Any updates, Frenchy?
I don't think there will be an update Rainbow :sad: Unless next time I drive by their place and the dog is on the road , if that's the case , I'll pick him up and drive away. But other than that ......
Old October 5th, 2008, 08:13 PM

You did the right thing at the time. Sometimes we have to make quick decisions. You were right in finding the owner, giving them 'the benefit of the doubt'. Unfortunately the SPCA doesn't have a lot of power or officers that can go to investigate. It takes a lot of complaints before anything gets done.
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM
We're a dog's best friend

Poor doggies!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
Leave the collars attached to the chains so it looks like they 'got away'.
Brilliant idea!! The person obviously doesn't care about them, she wont go looking. I'd do that myself!!!

I do!!
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

How heartbreaking for you I'll never understand why people get pets that they don't want to take care of :sad:???

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 6th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

That is heartbreaking. And unfortunately all too common.

I know lots of people who have dogs that they don't deserve. Apparently they think that if they give the dog water (when they feel like it) and food (once in a while) that they don't need anything else. There are times when I try to talk to people about those kinds of things, they have no interest, no conscience. I carry little flyers on why not to leave your dog in your car in hot weather that I put on people's windshields when I see a dog in a parked car. I also call animal control, but half the time they don't even bother to show up. :sad: And then even if the person does get caught neglecting their animal, or even downright abusing it, the fines here are so pitiful that it's not even a slap on the wrist. :sad:
Old October 6th, 2008, 07:28 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
I carry little flyers on why not to leave your dog in your car in hot weather that I put on people's windshields when I see a dog in a parked car.
That's a great idea !
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post

The girl I met kept apologizing because I kept telling her this was unnaceptable to leave the dogs outside , these were small dogs etc .... I'm guessing the parents have the last word and she's this way because of them.
This was my little dog Roxy.She was tied outside 24/7 , all winter, too. She was very dirty and matted. They didnt abuse her they were just ignorant. Roxy belonged to the guys daughter. She wanted a dog that could go inside, and her dad said she was too big to be inside ( she weighs 20 lbs) So they got a little pomeranian and got rid of Roxy. The daughter didnt even come out to say goodbye. Great thing to teach your kid, eh? That dogs can be picked up and dropped like dirty laundry. At least she has a better life now.
Attached Images

Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com
Old October 7th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

TulipRoxy,it was her lucky day for sure
That is a stunning pic of her,what a beautiful little girl