Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old April 30th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Senior Contributor

K,maybe I worded it wrong....I did not say it was ok for them to be outside 24/7.....The working dogs are outside most of the day.That I already know.My sister has one.And I also stated that she also comes in at night.It was others who stated that their working dogs are the ones who love to stay out all night....It's the others that are talking about "working" farm dogs.Sorry if this isn't making sense..Been popping Tylenol 3's for my head..

As for giving the right breed and type,I don't know any Siberian Husky owners,including my sisters that live outdoors.And these are a breed known for living outdoors.And my sister has 3 of them.Yes their coat is thick,but not that much.And there have been some huskies that they use for the sled team in Alaska that have froze to death.
Old April 30th, 2004, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
Actuall Rk's very first post is on "Ask the vet"page 3 post no 1..her original question was about her pregnant cat who had already had several litters
Not while she owned the cat:

RK: Unfortunately, I don't know when she first showed signs of being pregnant. I have only had her for a week or so, and before that, I had not seen her for a while at my friend's place.

RK: She has had at least several litters of kittens before, but I will be having her spayed after these kittens are born.

Surely you are not going to start blaming her for things above and beyond her control...then again...I wouldn't doubt it
Old April 30th, 2004, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
K,maybe I worded it wrong....I did not say it was ok for them to be outside 24/7.....The working dogs are outside most of the day.That I already know.My sister has one.And I also stated that she also comes in at night.It was others who stated that their working dogs are the ones who love to stay out all night....It's the others that are talking about "working" farm dogs.Sorry if this isn't making sense..Been popping Tylenol 3's for my head..

As for giving the right breed and type,I don't know any Siberian Husky owners,including my sisters that live outdoors.And these are a breed known for living outdoors.And my sister has 3 of them.Yes their coat is thick,but not that much.And there have been some huskies that they use for the sled team in Alaska that have froze to death.
OH.. ok... now I get what you mean.

Well... lets not even go to dogs freezing to death, if a dog it to live outside they need to be given proper shelter according to climate, which I consider to be an insulated or heated structure depending on climate (for the record horse barns are usually pretty warm in winter because of the large animals body heat - in reference to barn cats). My statement about proper breed and type, is not meant as "all dogs with heavy coats should live out" I believe any dog can live in, but many can also be comfortable, happy, loved and healthy living out. I have a rotti and had a rotti cross.... my rott needs to be made to go outside for the 2 seconds it takes her to pee in cold weather (least she bust from holding it in ) , while the other dog never wanted to come in... he had to though as I didn't have enough room or fencing to leave him out - but if I had the room and let him chose.. he probably would rarely been in - yet he was a happy dog.

My personal belief is that any animal is happiest with a choice for inside or out - pet dorr or the like... but I realize that some owners can't offer that (I can't right now) - some are inside most or all of the time, while others are outside most or all of the time... I think (and have experienced) that animals can be happy in all of those situations. ( To clarify - not to say each animal can flourish is all those situations, rather there are happy animals found in each situation - god I hope that makes sense.)
Old April 30th, 2004, 10:07 AM
banned user

Trolls go away!
Attached Images

Old April 30th, 2004, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaruq
Trolls go away!
Now I'm a troll for trying to have a conversation, discussion, debate??? I've never been snotty, or attacked anyone here.. just ideas. I'm not condemning anyone else for their ideas... just asking for open minds.

So just because my ideas are different than yours then I'm not welcome here?

Wow... must be lots of one sided conversations here if you cahse off anyone with a different or new idea.

Trolls were here long before I was!
Old April 30th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

I think what I'm really trying to say is,I would rather see the "family"dog be just that.Part of the family.Snuggled in at night.Sleeping with the family.Having them lick your face in the morning to get you up.Like mine do..Or have them hog the bed like my guys do...LOL..And we are talking about 2 100lb+ GSD's...I guess that's my defination of a family dog.
Old April 30th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I think what I'm really trying to say is,I would rather see the "family"dog be just that.Part of the family.Snuggled in at night.Sleeping with the family.Having them lick your face in the morning to get you up.Like mine do..Or have them hog the bed like my guys do...LOL..And we are talking about 2 100lb+ GSD's...I guess that's my defination of a family dog.
Actually I agree with you "my" dog sleeps on her bed next to mine every night and has the run of the house too - or should I say "lay" of the house big lazy thing that she is there is not much run in her any more... what you described is my ideal too... but this is not everyone's. I have seen and owned dogs and cats who are happy and well loved that live in different situations - some of my childhood family dogs only came in to sleep at night or in bad weather in their spot by the door, one didn't come it at all... all were happy and well loved.

I'm not saying you're wrong... just that I'm offended that you think I am for thinking there are other ways to love and care for an animal.

Also wanted to add... that not all pet owners consider these animals as their children and therefore offer them the same as they would a child, and although they love and care for them they treat them as pets.. with "no on the furniture" or "not allowed upstairs, or even in the house" rules... I don't think that makes these people bad owners... nor do I think they should find "parents" for their animals so they can be happier (I don't think they would be).
Old April 30th, 2004, 11:39 AM
banned user

No way MB was the troll comment directed to you...it was directed to some people who pop in for one nasty post and then bugger off.

I think there are different kinds of ways to love your animals as long as the animal is well cared for and loved. Well cared for means you take the time to play/excercise ......good food and on a daily basis.....when shots or emergencies happen make sure you can take them to the vet. Spay /neuture and be responsible about breeding. I also completely agree with knowing what your getting so your not in for a surprize and decide to dump them later. I 100% believe when you take them in you take them in for life.

Look the animals don't have a voice...I have seen such abuse that it upsets when someone just hits their dog once. Or like what happens quite frequently in our area the litter is dumped in the dumpsters.

Let's just all give them the very best life they all deserve.
Old April 30th, 2004, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaruq
No way MB was the troll comment directed to you...it was directed to some people who pop in for one nasty post and then bugger off.

I think there are different kinds of ways to love your animals as long as the animal is well cared for and loved. Well cared for means you take the time to play/excercise ......good food and on a daily basis.....when shots or emergencies happen make sure you can take them to the vet. Spay /neuture and be responsible about breeding. I also completely agree with knowing what your getting so your not in for a surprize and decide to dump them later. I 100% believe when you take them in you take them in for life.

Look the animals don't have a voice...I have seen such abuse that it upsets when someone just hits their dog once. Or like what happens quite frequently in our area the litter is dumped in the dumpsters.

Let's just all give them the very best life they all deserve.
Well said... that I totally agree with.
Old April 30th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Everyone has the option to stay or go, myself or any other member.

If someone is upset about how I or anyone else feels about how a pet should be taken care of thats too bad. I have the right to have my opinion, as it's not just based on thought and theory but from the heart.

I'm actually not sure why any of you are upset that we love our pets enough to have them around us as part of the family. I"m not saying you do not love your pets, but it seems you love them in a different way then we do.

So long to those of you who have come and are going!
Hello and welcome to those of you that stay.

(((hugs))) to Amaruq you know I lubs ya!!
Old April 30th, 2004, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
I'm actually not sure why any of you are upset that we love our pets enough to have them around us as part of the family. I"m not saying you do not love your pets, but it seems you love them in a different way then we do.
This is where you don't get it... I'm not upset about how YOU look after your animals.. I'm sure they are well loved and cared for... What upsets me is that you specifically told someone with a heathly and happy dog

Quote:
Sure you may love your pets but someone else could love them more and share with them the things they deserve to have, not just look at through a door or a window and wish for!! I wonder if they understand the allergy situation, of it they just figure they're not loved enough to be allowed in the family home.
That upsets me... that an animal lover would suggest depriving a happy animal of it's home a family beacause it is not looked after as you would look after it.

You see your way as right and others wrong (well you came across that way)... I simply see others as different... as long as the animal is happy and healthy I see no problems.
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Hey Mona_b, actually the sled dogs that froze to death was because they were brought inside and out. Warmed up and then cold, not climatized. Just thought you should know.
As for the new ones posting WELCOME!!!! It is indeed refreshing having intelligent conversations instead of bullying opinions around here!!
One thing I've noticed that when people have a different opinion here they always write don't get mad at me. I am sick of it! But I have handled bullies before and will continue. Although its gonna get a lot worse now because if they think their right, well so do I.
Amaruq, I agree about the trolls. Maybe you should leave for awhile.
As for me I'm off all weekend ( finally ) and will gladly continue this conversation.
TTYL
Chany
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I don't see any bullying here, I see differences of opinion! There is a difference.
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:29 PM

In all honesty Luba its because your little posse does the bullying. I'm sorry I'm at work and I have to log off now but I'll be back tonight to continue this if anyone wants to!!
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I don't see any bullying here, I see differences of opinion! There is a difference.
You're right there is... differences of opinion start with "i think"

Bullying starts with "you should" (when aid is not asked for)... "you're wrong" or things like ...

Quote:
OH wow he graduated to a garage then was a bad adult doggie and he had to be put outside again.

Shame shame shame on you!
When RK gave you history of the dog (BTY never mentioning anything about the dog ever having a behavior problem)... That is bullying ... if you were genuinely conserned for that dog you would try and eductate RK with facts (but alas you didn't have any), not try and make her feel horrible - I see no other purpose in that post but to bully.
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:38 PM

Oh god, pleeeeeeeeease let this thread die. I'm not religious, but I'm thinking about finding out if the Dalai Lama is still around town to see if he can exorcise the bad karma out of this thread.
There was lots of pack mentality on this thread. Lots of unneccesary (spelling) bashing. Lots of assumptions. Way, way too much "you people..." and "all of you....." and "you guys.....". I kept reading this crap and thinking 'what the hell did I do?'.
I think I'm just going to curl up on the floor and suck on my dogs earlobes, while I twitch for a while.
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I agree with Bob. How can a thread go from sucking ear lobes to people who suck?
There was too much time wasted here, and negative energy that could be spent in better ways.

What exactly has been accomplished? Does everyone feel better now?

Smooches, I love all you crazy animal lovers.

I am wishing for more ear lobe & age posts and the like. I appreciate opinions, we all have them, but this got carried away.

*note, never put on lip gloss and then kiss your black dog*
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

The linguistics in this thread are amusing me but I've had my time here and this thread can continue w/o me!
Old April 30th, 2004, 03:07 PM
banned user

Chany didn't know I offended you...I seem to be in crap no matter what I do.

Tell you what..instead of me leaving how about you just don't read my posts ok.
Old April 30th, 2004, 03:40 PM

Read, don't read..no one should leave. Everyone has opinions.

I can get riled too..I also work alot so I have little time for input.

This thread was one of those "wastin' daylight" threads.

(((group hug)))

Hey, we don't have to live with each other! And I reallly mean it, never put on lip gloss and kiss your black dog....I found out after doing this and went to talk to my neighbor, he pointed out my hairy lips.
*Shoot me now please!*
Old April 30th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh well,I thought this was long over...as far as bullying,did you read ANY of the posts from Rk's "posse" The language used and the wording was far worse than any I read from "our posse".
But this is it now,I hope
Amaruq don't let anything upset you that was said here,most of us know you are a wonderful,caring person and that you know more of what goes on on many farms than most of us.
I only wish everyone out there would give all our animals the love and care they deserve,no more chained up lonely dogs,no more starving,cold miserable cats....or wolves,bears,foxes etc,etc...
Bob,you mentioned the Dalai Lhama,the buddists have the right idea,show compassion for every living thing.No,I am not religous but if I were I would be a buddist
Old April 30th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

ROTFLMFAO@Karin..........

So now your nick name can be Hairy Lips......LOL....

Now to get back to the original post.....Casper has a foot fetish.He loves licking toes and licking your leg......
Old April 30th, 2004, 05:25 PM

Okay first of all Bill if you don't like it then don't read the thread. Whats the problem here with it? Too many valid points have been made for you guys to respond to?
Luba, See ya!!
Amaruq, you didn't offend me intentionally but yes I was offended. Actually I have been fairly often on here but just wouldn't say anything because you seemed to have your group and there was no arguing with it. So why try?
All of you are great people but you are extremely judgemental!! I could be just as judgemental as the rest of you and even wonder why some of you have pets. But why do that? Why is it that the intention of making people feel bad about their situations. I know some people are idiotic but some people are ignorant. Who's worse? I've found an idiot you can educate, an ignorant person? well they're worse.
Chico, as far as the language are you kidding me? Have you read any of the earlier posts. Some people are so similar to a dictator that its frightening.
Karin, I agree but this thread was because some people got tired of some holier than thou people getting on here and bullying others. But instantly that's wrong, why? Someone disagrees with the ones who've been here longer? I can become a senior contributor pretty damn quick if I wanted to. I'd have to stay on here for a lot of the day and reply to every little thread 2 or 3 times but bam I'd be a senior contributor but that doesn't mean what I've said was right or helpful in any way. Start reading back on some of the posts and I agree with the post get off you're high horses before you fall off!!
Old April 30th, 2004, 05:48 PM

Oh good grief! Getting off of my high horse now, hairy lips and all.

This isn't the only place disagreements happen. Same mini wars happen on other boards, in real life and among familys.
This thread should die. Too much hostility and it is breaking up what I thought was a very cool family.

Why is it so hard to say enough already?
Old April 30th, 2004, 05:51 PM

Sorry Karin wasn't directing the high horse to you that was mentioned way earlier before you or I were on here.I'm sorry but in my family everyone has a valid point and yes maybe it should die but unless attitudes around here don't start changing you're going to see more of it. Sorry!
Old April 30th, 2004, 06:01 PM
banned user

Where in the heck did I offend you...If I did don't read my posts plain and simple. Your getting on my last nerve with this
Old April 30th, 2004, 06:11 PM

I thought so...lmao! It was also my silly attempt of highjacking this thread to a happier place...since I cannot do it alone..hint ..hint..hint..I will not partake anymore.

I am off to read about better things..i.e. abcesses, hurling chow and penis afflictions....and

How old Bob really is.

Play nice kiddies.
Old April 30th, 2004, 06:12 PM

OMG not your last nerve . Get your medication refilled.
Pretty easy to be a bitch isn't it? But oh no have I offended you??
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Rude to people?Have you read alot of the posts?Some have been taken off.But if we are to be called rude for caring for an animal,then so be it.We have everything on here.He have been sworne at so many times.People come on here with very ill animals,throwing up blood,can't move,pooping blood,not pooping,eating or drinking for a week,shaking.The list goes on and on.And alot say they can't afford a vet.We suggest they ask the vet for a payment plan or borrow the money.Or when we say take the animal to a vet,they freak out.If we didn't care for animals,then we wouldn't be on here trying to help....And how many of these people come back on here because their animal has died?There have been quite a few.And it breaks our heart.Knowing that if they would have taken them to the vet ASAP,the animal would have had a chance.When you take on a pet,they are your pet for life.That means having the money put aside for an emergency...Our pets are our life.And to be honest,I wonder about the people who do come on here with the things I have stated,if they have children.Do they go on a site saying my baby is choking or coughing up blood,what should I do?I sure as to He!! hope not.Go through all the posts,the ones on Ask a vet and you will understand what I mean.WE are animal lovers on here.You talk about the negitives about us,what about the possitive in us?The ones we have helped?There are many.We even help each other out.But I guess you turn a blind eye to that side.Being on this site,I have learned alot.

As for farms,I also know that farmers have a right to shoot a dog that comes on your property.My sister had a beautiful GSD.My nephew was taking her for a walk.Yes she was on a leash.His shoe came untied.He went to tie it up and dropped the leash.Tori took of to the neighbors farm.The neighbor who knew her,shot and killed her.My 3 nephews and neice where in tears.They had nightmares for the longest time.Especially my neice.Since you are in Ontario,this law does apply to you to.
Well, condsidering what you just said, you had no reason to condemn me! My dog or cat were not coughing up blood, vomiting, etc. And neither of them are sick or dying... I don't see the reason for this post, as it's telling me what I already know. I know that lots of these people come on saying this type of thing, but I'm not one of them. And if it comes back to the fact that my cate decided to start having her kittens indoors, then I will say again, I stayed up ALL NIGHT to make sure I checked on her and found her, the night I thought she was going to have them. I brought them into my sunroom, and helped her give birth to the rest of them. I'm not a cruel pet owner, contrary to what you may believe.

And that comment about a dog being shot on a farm, yes we have the ability to do that to someone else's dog. But does it mean we will? No! I can shoot, but even if I tried, I don't think I'd hit anything! No that I would try in the first place! So the law applies to me, so what?! It doesn't mean I'm going to go shoot a neighbours dog because it goes walking across my field!
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRA518
Also wanted to add... that not all pet owners consider these animals as their children and therefore offer them the same as they would a child, and although they love and care for them they treat them as pets.. with "no on the furniture" or "not allowed upstairs, or even in the house" rules... I don't think that makes these people bad owners... nor do I think they should find "parents" for their animals so they can be happier (I don't think they would be).
I do consider my pets to be my kids. All of them, not just my dog and cat. My horse, donkey and goat too! They are all my babies, them living outside does not change that!
Closed Thread