Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 29th, 2006, 06:04 AM

Question Help!!! My cat is acting weird...

Hello everyone! Hope you all can help me out.

My cat is 6 years old and she always goes out of the house to go to washroom since she was a year old. Whenever she wants to go in or out of the house she would just meow for us and we would let her in.

Past winters my cat had gone out for washroom everyday and she just meows for us after she is done.

However, a few days ago, it started to snow and around that time, my cat had refused to go out of the house. When we carry her out, she bites, scratches and just wants to break free and run back to the house as quickly as possible. She even digs my mother's plants and tried to go washroom there.

What is happening to my cat? Help!!!
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you seen a vet about this? If not, that is the first thing that I would do.

Also, I would put a litter box down for the cat, so if she didn't want to go outside she wouldn't have to
Old November 29th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticalnet View Post
What is happening to my cat? Help!!!
seriously? perhaps your cat has wised up about going out in the cold/wet weather. Like the other poster suggested, introduce a litter box, and don't force the cat to go out. (I firmly believe cats are much safer when kept indoors)
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:42 AM

Your situation may have nothing to do with the weather, sounds more like she has been frightened badly by something outside and now she doesn't feel safe going out. I had a cat several years ago do that and if we put him out he would sit at the end of the house and stare at the back field for hours. We found out later on there had been a cougar out there and we think he came close to being caught by it.
Definitely talk to the vet about this and set up a kitty litter but don't force your kitty outside, she will just become more and more frightened. If you still want her to go out, perhaps start by going with her and not getting to far from the house, or you go out the door and encourage her to come out the door on her own.
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

wow, you cat does not want to go outside, and I dont know why you would try to force that on her, the outside world is SOOO dangerous for a cat...( regardless of what setting you live in)
Get a litter box and introduce her to it. She will thank you in the end. As well as live a much safer happier life.
Old November 29th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Yes, I think I agree with coper. My cat had always loved to go out to play in the snow, it does not have to do with the weather. She even plays snow with the neighbour's cat every so and then and it's really fun to watch.

Maybe there is indeed something outside that scared her up pretty bad then. Do you think she will go out eventually? My cat is like the adventurous and very outgoing cat, I don't want her being cooped up all the time.
Old November 29th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I really think you should focus on getting your cat to use the litter right now. In the long run, your cat will be much safer if she stays indoors all the time... I wouldn't try to coax her into going back outside.

Also, I really do think you should take her to see a vet. There may be something more going on.
Old November 29th, 2006, 01:35 PM

In time, if you work with her she will become braver about going out. Just be patient with her. It will help too if you can leave the door opened just a crack so she knows she can get back in easily.