Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 4th, 2008, 10:51 PM

lethargic, deaf (?) 2 yr old cat

Hi. My name is Jill and this is my first post. I adopted 2 stray cats from a shelter in March. A 2 yr old buff female (7 lbs) and a 1 yr old gray male (16 lbs). The female had an ear infection shortly after I got her & was treated by my vet. She's never responded to her name and rarely meets me at the door when I come home, unlike the male who is always there, and sometimes she's been sleeping when I get home. It appears from all of these signs that she may be deaf, with which I have no problem. However the past few days she's been lethargic, withdrawn & slinks around the house. I've also found her sleeping in strange places, like the bookshelf, & sometimes I can't find her at all. The only thing that will get her to come out is the smell of her canned food. I'm going to try to get her into the vet tomorrow morning (Saturday) or early next week. Any idea what the problem could be?
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:07 PM
~Cat Servent~

Lethargy is always a sign that a vet visit is needed asap... there are too many possibilities to venture a guess, so just want to send for the vet visit, hope it's nothing serious.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:11 PM

Thanks for your response. That's what I figured, but thought by chance maybe someone else had the same exact symptoms for their cat. I'll post an update after her vet visit.
Old July 5th, 2008, 02:03 AM

for the vet visit....be sure to mention the ear infection she had a couple of months ago.

Let us know how it goes

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying