Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old April 25th, 2012, 10:05 PM

What am I - Pure Lab??

My husband and I have been looking to adopt a second dog. This is the latest prospect from the US (rural, Mid-West USA). He comes from a lab rescue, but I'm pretty sure that there's something else in there... He's got some whitish markings on the tips of his toes and chest. What do you think??Name:  bronx20120222b.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  23.5 KB

Name:  bronx20120222a.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  27.7 KB
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know what breed but I don't think he is pure Lab. Does not matter 'cause he a beautiful dog!

Welcome to pets.ca.
Old April 25th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Senior Contributor

No he doesn't look pure lab, but he does look predominantly lab. He is a beautiful boy, thank you for looking at rescues and welcome to the board. Please keep us posted about your adoption!
Old April 26th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe mixed with Duck Tolling Retriever? He's stunning!
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Senior Contributor

He could be pure bred and field bred. Field bred dogs tend not to fit the standard but they are pure bred nevertheless. His colour would be called the kind of permissable yellow that is called Fox Red in Labs, I think.

A small white spot on the chest is permitted and white bits on the toes are not uncommon and are called bolo spots. Bolo was the name of one of the first purebred dogs way, way back who is thought to have introduced them to the breed.

Without a pedigree there is no way to tell for sure but he sure looks like a lot of pure bred Labs in my field training group. Wow, look at the muscles in his backend. Maybe he's going to need lots of exercise to keep that kind of physique up? Lots of fun ahead for you. Nice boy.
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the input everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
He could be pure bred and field bred. Field bred dogs tend not to fit the standard but they are pure bred nevertheless. His colour would be called the kind of permissable yellow that is called Fox Red in Labs, I think.

A small white spot on the chest is permitted and white bits on the toes are not uncommon and are called bolo spots. Bolo was the name of one of the first purebred dogs way, way back who is thought to have introduced them to the breed.

Without a pedigree there is no way to tell for sure but he sure looks like a lot of pure bred Labs in my field training group. Wow, look at the muscles in his backend. Maybe he's going to need lots of exercise to keep that kind of physique up? Lots of fun ahead for you. Nice boy.
Thanks for that info Longblades. I didn't know about 'field labs' vs regular, or even that those 'bolo' spots were allowed. I checked out some photos - so much variation in labs - but some look pretty close.

I also looked up "Vizsladors" but I think that these guys are more long and learn that our chunky little guy here... So I think that you have it right. If/when people ask I will say "He's a Field Labrador!"
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

He looks pb to me
He could be a "Dudley". It's a pb lab that most people think is a yellow lab, but it's actually a chocolate lab without the pigment. Dudleys have pink/red lips/nose/eyeliner. He wouldn't be able to be shown, but they're still very handsome imo.

I could be wrong, but that's what he looks like to me

Whatever he is, he's adorable

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old April 27th, 2012, 10:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

He is very handsome!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
He looks pb to me
He could be a "Dudley". It's a pb lab that most people think is a yellow lab, but it's actually a chocolate lab without the pigment. Dudleys have pink/red lips/nose/eyeliner. He wouldn't be able to be shown, but they're still very handsome imo.

I could be wrong, but that's what he looks like to me

Whatever he is, he's adorable
I've never heard of a "Dudley"! That look certainly fits! Thanks for the info (I'm learning so much)! I should note that those pictures don't really do justice to his eyes. They are a really light golden colour. I'm not the greatest at photographing the dogs, so will try to get better pics...

Oh - and we don't plan on showing him. We're just looking for a good family pet. We picked him up this past weekend!

Last edited by 067734m; April 30th, 2012 at 09:23 AM.