Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 14th, 2004, 06:03 PM

Unhappy sick dog

My 8 month old yorkie is a bit ill, I went to the vet and he informed me that it will pass just give it some time. SHe has had a diarrea for about 2 days. She is drinking water and she still eats a bit, but she is not the same as I know her. She just sits in her bag or sleeps. Should I beleive my vet and let her be or should I seek other advise or doctor?

I was also wondering if I can give a dog gravol and if it it would help any. Thank you.

Kinga
Old August 14th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Your vet didn't find out what the problem is? What, if any, tests did he do?

A dog as small as that needs to eat regularly, and can get dehydrated easily.
Sitting in a bag and sleeping all the time is not normal for a terrier pup.

I would take her to another vet if she is not back to normal by tomorrow.

Do NOT give a tiny dog (or any pet) any human medications if you don't know what is wrong with her.
Old August 14th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

When did this start? Could you yorkie have gotten into something to make itself sick?

Your vet can recommend a very very low dosage of pepto bismol (probably less then 1/4 capsul) for a dog of that size. BUT ask the vet first!! This will help with diarrhea.

What are you feeding and has the food been changed recently?

Try boiling some white rice or potatos and some boiled chicken.
The potato/rice will stop the diarrhea and the chicken is protein meat the dog needs.

Feed very very small amounts maybe a tablespoon at a time.

If things aren't getting any better I'd very certainly get back to the vet. Esp if the dog is lethargic as well.
Old August 14th, 2004, 07:25 PM

Hello,

I really appriciate your help.. The vet took the stool sample to check, but I won't know the result till monday. He did not prescrible anything since he is not sure what is wrong with her. He simply indicated to me that I should make sure that she has something to eat throughout the day at least. Like I said she ate a bit today and had a lot of water so I am happy because she is not dehydrated.

She is not lethargic so I am happy.
I will definately take your advise and cook some rice and give it to her.
My mother in law, gave cassie a pork bone and I am worried that this may have something to do with it. She keeps on blaming me that I left her in the car for 5 min when I was pumping gas. But, I am very sure that the fact that I left cassie in the car has nothing to do with it.. Some dog breeder told her that it is ok for cassie to have the pork bone as long as it is well cooked. I was a bit upset about it but she gave it to her. Do you think this may have something to do with her upset stomach?

And to answer someone elses questions. As per the vet and knowing my medical background it is ok for the dog to get human medication, after all when your dog gets sick, it is the human meds that the vet prescribes only in small quontaties. So, if I have no idea what is wrong w/ the dog i will not give her any medication. All I was asking if it is possible to give the dog gravol. The pepto bismo may be good idea but I will wait until the vet says its ok to give it to her.

Right now she is sleeping next to me. And today we went for a walk and she actually enjoyed herself. Maybe the worse part of it is over and she is getting herself into recovery.
Old August 14th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

The pork bone, was it cooked/not cooked. What type of bone, pork rib?

There some things that could have happened:

-Dogs get pancreatitis from 'greasy' foods this includes pork/pork fat
Ham/fat, grease, anything greasy.
-The bone maybe could have splintered, which can be very dangerous
-IF there was uncooked pork there is a chance of parasite/worms

NEVER give a dog pork bones!
Old August 17th, 2004, 02:24 PM

the bone was cooked. and I talked with the vet and he said that as long as the bone is cooked she can have it. the only bone that dogs should avoid are chicken bones.

As for my poor dog. She is feeling very good. Running around the house and chasing the cat.

Thank you for all of those that heard my concerns.

kinga.
Old August 17th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Dogs should not eat cooked bones, your vet informed you incorrectly.
Cooked bones splinter and cause intestinal and stomach troubles. The splinters can puncture and scrape causing bleeding and ulcerations.

IF you want to give your dog a bone give a RAW beef knuckle bone!

Glad he's feeling better!
Old August 17th, 2004, 02:32 PM

It may be your opions..I am not here to argue with you. All I wanted to know if there was anything that I could do to make her feel better.

I went to 3 vets cause the first was missinformed me and all 3 of them agreed that it is ok. Its the not cooked bones that break and cause problems in the stomach lining.

I apprciate your concerns but let me take care of my dog the way I want to.

Sincerely

kinga.
Old August 17th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I apprciate your concerns but let me take care of my dog the way I want to
If you want to give your dog cooked pork bones, go ahead, but please don't then waste our time asking why her stomach is upset.

I don't care if 10 vets told you cooked bones are fine - they are not. I've said this ad nauseum, but vets are MEDICAL doctors and not nutritionists.

Do you think wild dogs eat cooked bones? Hit a cooked bone with a hammer and see how it splinters.This is what it does in a dog's jaws, and these splinters go into their stomachs. Now hit a raw bone with a hammer. See the difference?

A little common sense goes a long way.
Old August 17th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I think you need to educate yourself on what your 'way' of caring for your dog is, otherwise your adorable little dog could end up very sick.
Old August 17th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
your adorable little dog could end up very sick.
It already did.
Old August 17th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to agree here cooked bones are DANGEROUS. If you read any information from a nutritionist or most trainers they will all tell you the same thing no cooked bones especially pork. I was recommended not to give pork bones at all to stick to beef or venison. Just think your vet will tell you to feed your dog Iams or Science Diet, need I say more. Also for a dog that size I dont think there would be a safe dosage of gravol, there is actually one made for pets I would use that as opposed to the human type only because of your dogs size. We would not it to harm your dog.
Old August 17th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

sick dog

I would not give your dog gravol, but I have given my dog Pepto Bismol. You must be very careful when you give human medications to animals. Bismuth, (found in Pepto), is relatively safe, but give only the tiniest amount to such a small dog. Consult your vet FIRST. If you are uncomfortable with the progress your dog is making, by all means, get a second opinion. And don't wait too long to do so. Animals can't tell you what's wrong with them, except by body language, and if you are concerned about her well being, then, take her to another vet. It may cost a bit of $$ but will give you both piece of mind.
Good luck!
Old September 7th, 2004, 09:27 PM

Question Can you help me?

Today we were watching my neighbors puppie (abot 7 monthes old) hes big by the way. I was holding a packet of tums and cant find them now. i dont remember where i placed them or if i put them away. If the dog did get them, will it hurt him or just go through him. if you know please get back to me asap. thanks
Christie
Old September 7th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Sammi

He should be okay ,
I've known tums to be given as calcium supplements to calcium low dogs before (wouldn't recommend without vets okay).
Just watch for diarrhea, any concerns, call vet.
Old September 8th, 2004, 02:38 PM

Talking Thank you!

Thank you soo much!