Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 6th, 2008, 03:01 PM

Feline Lukemia, Contagious?

Hi I recently had to put down a kitten who had Lukemia. I only had her for one day but she touched my heart. My question is.... The kitten was only in one room in my home, I have cleaned the floor with pine sol, washed the sheets (which covered the couch) with bleach, sprayed everything with disinfectant spray and disposed of food, water and liter containers... how long should I wait before putting a new kitten in that room?? I want to make sure that if and when I adopt a new kitten it will not get sick. Any advice??
Old August 6th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear about your kitty. The room should be safe for a new cat by now: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html

Quote:
How is FeLV spread?
Cats persistently infected with FeLV serve as sources of infection. Virus is shed in very high quantities in saliva and nasal secretions, but also in urine, feces, and milk from infected cats. Cat-to-cat transfer of virus may occur from a bite wound, during mutual grooming, and (though rarely) through the shared use of litter boxes and feeding dishes. Transmission can also take place from an infected mother cat to her kittens, either before they are born or while they are nursing. FeLV doesn't survive long outside a cat's body—probably less than a few hours under normal household conditions.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 6th, 2008, 04:14 PM
chronically insane.

Any reason why you had to put it down? Was it even symptomatic?

I had to put a kitten down a few years ago just a few days after I moved into my new house (before Socks even came around!) because they just told me it wasn't going to live. So I question everything now.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009