Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 2nd, 2016, 02:46 AM

Question Cleaning Dog urine smell out of dog runs

I maintain the dog run areas at the rv park I'm living at. They are small areas ,ground cover is a thin layer of pea gravel. They are used by 100s of dogs, and alot of owners don't clean their pet mess. So every night I start by picking up any poop/solid waste, then I rake the rocks to remove leaves, and to turn the rocks. After that I spray the areas with two different cleaners/chemicals (both are dog friendly) I use Eliminator which is supposed to get rid of the smell 5 or 6 days a week and I use Triple Two which is a disinfectant/cleaner/deodorizer or 2 days per week. I recently replaced the gravel in one of the three runs I handle, I applied garden lime and soaked it in before adding the new gravel. Ive also tried white vinegar. But even after doing all this the odor is HORRIBLE..any suggestions would be appreciated..also I've done some research online and found some say sweet pdz..feedback on this ?
Old March 2nd, 2016, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

What is under the pea gravel , soil or cement ?
Old March 4th, 2016, 05:16 AM

Well there is a layer of dog urine saturated clay/cliche that really needs to be dug out but the park isn't really wanting to do that which makes it really hard for me..The dog runs haven't been redone in over 10 years approx. I'm going crazy trying to conquer the smell.
Old March 4th, 2016, 05:18 AM

And living in las vegas where it easily gets 110 deg. + doesn't help as it "bakes" it in worse.
Old March 4th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxgirl View Post
Well there is a layer of dog urine saturated clay/cliche that really needs to be dug out but the park isn't really wanting to do that which makes it really hard for me..The dog runs haven't been redone in over 10 years approx. I'm going crazy trying to conquer the smell.
So the urine is soaked into the clay , then the smell would be really hard to remove unless the clay was dug up. Good luck with this !
Old March 4th, 2016, 02:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you tried any of the enzymatic cleaners formulated specifically to neutralize urine odors? They don't work very well on fecal odors or vomit, but they do pretty well with urine odor, if that's what the main problem is. They'd also soak into the underlying clay surface to work there. Might be worth a try if you haven't tried one yet.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 2nd, 2016, 11:02 PM

Question

Tags
cleaning, disinfectant, dog run, odor, urine