Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Laval Zoo

Male cat has urinary blockage

Hello everyone,

I noticed my 3 year old male cat acting weird yesterday. He wouldn't play with me, he wasn't eating or drinking and he was just sitting in one spot.

I was up with him during the night pretty much every hour on the hour because I heard him in the litterbox and saw that he had pooped but no luck with peeing. I knew there was something wrong and I had called the vet yesterday afternoon and got an appointment for today at 11am. When I held him this morning I noticed blood in and around his urethra.

I brought him to the vet and they told me he has a urinary obstruction. They took some x-rays and didn't see any stones or crystals in his kidneys or bladder. But they did show me that his bladder was swollen .. poor guy :sad:

They told me they would have to keep him there and unblock his urethra, put him on meds and wait until he's eating, drinking and peeing on his own. Right now, he's got a 3 day hospital stay and I can't stop thinking about him. I hated leaving without him. I asked them to see him before I left and I hugged him and kissed him goodbye. It really took everything in me to not bawl my eyes out in front of everyone

I've read up a little bit about this but I was just looking for people who have been through this before and might know more than me. Is this usually treatable? Will it reoccur? What can cause it? I want to do everything I can to make sure he's as healthy as possible. Any food suggestions? etc..

Thank you!
I miss my baby :sad:

-- Tamara
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Tamara, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Hang in there, cats can and do make a full recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Is this usually treatable? Will it reoccur? What can cause it? I want to do everything I can to make sure he's as healthy as possible. Any food suggestions? etc..
It is treatable. Whether it recurrs or not depends on things like diet and how badly the urethra is damaged. It's caused by eating dry food, so the best thing you can do is to change your kitty over to wet food only (either good quality canned or raw). Here is some info for you to read on feline nutrition: www.catinfo.org

Fingers crossed that your kitty can come home soon. Let us know how he does.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 6th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Laval Zoo

thanks sugarcatmom

The vet just called me and he said that they emptied his bladder and unblocked his urethra. He said the bladder was full of blood and the catheter is still leaking blood which they're keeping a close eye on. He's also not coming out of the anesthesia as fast as they would like and his heart rate went up a bit which the doc said is normal with being put under sometimes.

The doc said it was very blocked and quite advanced and it was weird that he only started acting weird yesterday. The vet also said that maybe this has been going on for a while and maybe he's only been peeing little drops here and there but the thing is, 2 nights ago I remember sitting watching tv and going "wow what's that noise??" and I looked over and he was in his litter peeing away a full stream that lasted about 15 seconds. And I called my bf over and said "geez, look at this guy, he's peeing like a man!" So I knew he was peeing freely 2 days ago. It just happened so fast I don't get it...

I'm gonna call them back in 2 hours to see if there have been any changes. Vet said that he can't guarantee me that my cat is out of danger. That really scares me :sad:
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Is he at Taschereau?
That is strange, that he was peeing freely two days ago. Did the vet say what his kidney numbers looked like? (I'm assuming they did a blood test early on)
Crossing my fingers and toes for the little guy.
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww Brat,I know how scary this can be,just wanted to send someto you and your kitty

Last edited by chico2; February 7th, 2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Laval Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Is he at Taschereau?
That is strange, that he was peeing freely two days ago. Did the vet say what his kidney numbers looked like? (I'm assuming they did a blood test early on)
Crossing my fingers and toes for the little guy.

He was at the Vet in Vimont Laval. About an hour after the vet called me, he called again and said that my cat still hadn't come to and the doc was worried. He suggested we transfer him to the DMV so that he gets supervision throughout the whole night so my bf and I went to pick him up with his catheter and iv, wrapped him in a blanket and brought him to the DMV. I talked to him throughout the whole ride. He was somewhat responsive, his eyes would open, his ears would flick and at some point he started to stretch his back legs.

They did do blood tests. His potassium numbers and another number (can't remember what they called it) were not good and they want to get them back to normal. There is still blood from the catheter but they assured me that was normal especially since his bladder was so enlarged. They are saying that his numbers are off because I guess it kind of poisoned his kidneys. I hated leaving there.. I really did. I wanted to sleep in the parking lot all night.

They said they would only call tonight if something was bad. I'm PRAYING that my phone doesn't ring. I'm going to be a nervous wreck all night and I won't sleep a wink. They said they would call me tomorrow either way for an update.

My bf and I have taken turns bawling our eyes out. We miss the guy so much and we hated coming home to a place without him. Everything reminds me of him.. I just have to keep thinking that he'll be back before we know it and super healthy and back to running around and talking like he always does.
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Shoot. But the staff at DMV are excellent and they have all the tools to keep him comfortable.
Fingers still crossed.
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Live well, laugh often

Sending some positive healing vibes to your cat and of course some hugs to you and your bf .
Old February 7th, 2009, 01:43 AM

Just sending some & for you & yours

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 7th, 2009, 02:57 AM
-

I hope you hear some good news in the morning.
Old February 7th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Laval Zoo

Little update:

Last night at around 11:30pm we received a call from the vet at the DMV. She was worried he hadn't woken up yet and that his heart rate was very high (250) while lying on his side. She asked for my permission to give him some pain meds and take another xray. I didn't hear from them again which was a good sign although I still didn't sleep a wink all night. I kept staring at that phone praying it wouldn't ring. I think MY heart rate was 250. I didn't eat anything either cause I was super nauseous.

I called them around 10:30 to find out how he was and if I could come visit. The receptionist said the doc would call me back. I got off the phone with the doc a few mins ago and she said Meowx0r's vital signs are stable, his potassium is back to normal, his heart rate is back to normal. He was hypoglemic during the night at some points but they brought that back to normal. Apparently he is still very lethargic but not totally out of it like yesterday. He is able to open his eyes and lift his head up. He won't eat the food on his own but when they put it in his mouth, he licks it and swallows it. His urine is back to normal as well. She said he's on a good track to recovery and would probably need to stay there for another few days (at least throughout the weekend).

When I asked her why she thought he didn't come to after the anesthetic she said it was most likely because of all his screwed up levels and the huge ordeal he went through. A huge weight has been lifted off of us.

Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and prayers. It really means a lot to us. We're staying positive and hoping everything keeps looking up for him.

THANK YOU!

Some pics of the little guy yesterday before we picked him up to transfer him to the DMV.
Attached Images

Old February 7th, 2009, 02:14 PM
-

WOO HOO ....you must be so relieved.

Glad to hear that Meowx0r is on the road to recovery and lots of good wishes being sent to you for his continued improvement.

He is a very handsome boy .....hope to see more pics of him when he is feeling better.

ill you be able to visit him at all over the weekend?
Old February 7th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Laval Zoo

hi rainbow,

Yes, I was SO relieved..With a weight like that lifted off of me, I finally got to sleep for a few hours and I feel much better now.

I won't be able to visit him until Monday unfortunately I'd be there every second if I could just talking to him and letting him know I'm there and this is for his own good. But I have a feeling he knows that when we carried him in our arms from Laval to Lachine in the car yesterday and spoke to him the whole way.

When he comes back, I swear I'm going to hug him for 2 weeks straight and never let him go. His furry brothers occasionally walk around the house meowing loudly and I'm sure they're looking for him and wondering where he went.

I will definitely post more pics of him when he's back. He is very handsome, he's so soft and cuddly and we call him our big bear He's just a ball of love, always purring and head butting us for attention.

I can't WAIT to have him back!!
Old February 7th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww Brat,what a sweetie he is,hopefully he'll be able to come home soon
I am soo glad he's recovering,it is such a worry and you hate to leave them,they don't know what is happening:sad:
But he'll be very happy to be back home,hopefully very soon
Old February 7th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Hi Brat, so glad to hear your kitty is on the road to recovery . He sure is a beauty and am looking forwad to more pics when you get him home. After all his cuddles, of course .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 8th, 2009, 12:51 AM

Good to hear he's on his way to a good recovery

Old February 8th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Laval Zoo

thought I'd post some pics of Mister Meowx0r before he comes back to us....

I held him when he was just 3 hours old and I just fell in love the moment I met him.
Attached Images

Old February 8th, 2009, 01:05 AM

Awww kitten pics what a cutie! and a handsome boy he has grown to be

Old February 8th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Laval Zoo

The best gift that could ever be under the xmas tree and Meowx0r and his brother Romeo cuddling during one of their many afternoon naps.
Attached Images

Old February 8th, 2009, 01:11 AM
-

I can see why you fell in love with him.

And, love the cuddle pic with Romeo.
Old February 8th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Laval Zoo

So the vet called today with an update. He is awake and starting to eat on his own.. YAYY!! The doc said there is still blood showing in his urine but she also said this is normal and they will wait until tomorrow to remove the catheter.

I miss him so much it's unbearable. There are no visiting hours on Sunday so I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to see him.

I'm praying that he won't have any serious permanent damage to his kidneys, bladder or urethra. I really don't know what to expect once he comes home. I'm sure the vet will explain everything to me but I'm so worried that he'll never be the same. I don't want him to ever go through this again. I have read up a lot on what to feed him and I was very ignorant to be feeding my cats dry food this whole time. I would give them cans of wet food once per week but I had no idea how BAD dry food was for them Never ever again!
Old February 8th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Brat,you are not alone,a lot of people feed cheap dry grocery-store food,many people just don't know any better.
Don't blame yourself we learn as we go along in life.
He certainly is a very pretty kitty as is his friend Romeo
Many,many years ago,when Purina Cat-Chow and canned Pussn'Boots was the only cat-food available,my cat Tigger was very sick,unfortunately he had to be euthanized at 3 yrs of age:sad:
We have so many choices now,you really are able to feed your cats "good"food.
My cats now eat 99,9% canned(Wellness)and are doing very well.
Hope you get Meow home soon
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Laval Zoo

Hi chico,

I was reading up about all that last night and I had decided that I would probably feed my cats Wellness but I wanted to check with my fellow cat lovers on here..hehe.. It's good to hear that you also feed your cats this. It makes me feel a lot better.

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty that got sick I can't even imagine going through losing one of my furry babies. How does one get through a loss like that? I've been a wreck ever since this happened. I feel depressed and I don't have the drive to do anything.. I just want to be with him and I just want him HOME in my arms..

I'm finally going to visit him tomorrow.. I can't wait to see him.
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Your kitties are beautiful. I am so glad brat is making such a great recovery.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Laval Zoo

Just received my daily call from the vet so here's a little update:

They haven't removed the catheter like they wanted to today because there is still quite a bit of blood in his urine. So they told me they'd like to do an ultrasound to see if there are any other crystals. I'm a little worried about my little guy.. I've heard that it's pretty normal for there to still be traces of blood in the urine but I hope he doesn't have any more crystals.

I asked them what food they put him on and they said Royal Canin Uriniary SO and she said he'd have to eat it for the rest of his life. She said they are feeding him wet right now but within a few weeks I could put him on dry if I wanted to and I told her no way, all my cats will be switched to wet now.

I've read a some conflicting things about urinary problem specific foods. Some places say it's good, other say it might cause more problems and may possibly cause the calcium oxolate crystals.

What should I do? Should I switch him off the Royal Canin Urinary SO to Wellness canned when he comes out? Should I get the Wellness low magnesium or stay away from the specific diet alltogether? I don't know much about any of this stuff and like I said, I've ready a lot of different opinions on a lot of different web sites.
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I asked them what food they put him on and they said Royal Canin Uriniary SO and she said he'd have to eat it for the rest of his life.
Argh!!!! He does not and should not eat S/O for the rest of his life, and he especially should not be eating dry. But of course they'd say that, it's all they know.

Quote:
Should I switch him off the Royal Canin Urinary SO to Wellness canned when he comes out?
That's what I would do. Wellness has much better ingredients.

Quote:
Should I get the Wellness low magnesium or stay away from the specific diet alltogether?
Just plain ol' Wellness is fine. Excess magnesium is only a factor when the urine ph is too alkaline, which is what happens when the diet is heavy on plant matter. If a meat-based, low carb diet is fed, the diet a cat is meant to eat, then urine ph is much more likely to be within the normal range of 6.0-6.5. What you could do once your kitty comes home is get some ph test strips and test his urine periodically to see if he's maintaining normal acidity. If for some reason he isn't, then you can add small amounts of an acidifier (such as L-methionine) to his wet food. It's very important to keep monitoring the ph if you do this to make sure his urine doesn't become too acidic, which would then be risk factor for calcium oxalate crystals.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Laval Zoo

sugarcatmom..thank you soooo much for explaining that to me. You just made everything a lot more clear. I am going to pick up some Wellness now and I'll just get the regular kind and feed them all that.

Where can I buy ph test strips? And also, how would you test the urine? He normally goes in his litterbox so would I go up to him as he's urinating and place the strip underneath the stream? Also, does the type of litter matter? I've had the pine litter for a few years now and they all seem to love it (plus I like that I can flush everything) but when he comes back should I change it to something else? And should I isolate him from his brothers until he's much better so that they won't bother him and won't share the same litterbox?

Ahhh..sooo many questions .. I want my baby to have the best care when he comes back.
Old February 9th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Dry food for a cat who has a history of crystals . One of the best ways to prevent stones and crystals is by a wet diet which is species appropriate so the proper urine ph is acheived.

Another great food is Instinct by Natures Variety. It is high quality protein food:

http://www.naturesvariety.com/instinct_cat_can

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Where can I buy ph test strips?
A pharmacy might have them, or else a health store. Here's an example of what you'd be looking for: http://www.ph-ion.com/index.asp?Page...PROD&ProdID=18 Look for something with half unit increments and a wide test range (4.5-9.0 is good).

Quote:
And also, how would you test the urine?
My preferred method is to stalk kitty when he heads to the litter box, then once he starts to pee I gently slide a shallow jar lid under his butt. You don't need much urine, but it's best if it's fresh.

Quote:
Also, does the type of litter matter? I've had the pine litter for a few years now and they all seem to love it
Pine litter is fine, no need to change.

Quote:
And should I isolate him from his brothers until he's much better so that they won't bother him and won't share the same litterbox?
I wouldn't necessarily isolate him, although watch out for some anxiety in the household. He's going to smell different and the other cats might react with hostility. I've heard putting baby powder on your hands and wiping everyone down so they smell the same can help (haven't tried it myself).

Getting another litter box is worth thinking about. Not sure how many cats you have but a general rule is 1 box per cat, plus an extra (if space allows). Most cats prefer not to go in a box if it's already been used by someone else. Kinda like when you go to a public washroom and someone hasn't flushed a toilet, you'd probably choose a different stall.

Quote:
I want my baby to have the best care when he comes back.
You're doing great. I hope he's home soon!

Old February 9th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi, just wanted to tell you this happened 3 times to my cat and he lived till he was 19. I agree with someone, get him on more wet food. The comercial dry food has no water content and cats do not drink enough to dilute their urine. My cat although very scary always came out with a full recovery.