Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 30th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Devoted Kitty Slave :D

aww .. this sounds so scary for the both of u .. i dont really have anything to add that someone else hasnt already put up but i wanted to wish u luck...
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:54 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You need to get him out as soon as you can, every day he stays up there his health is in jeopardy. He will not hold a grudge if you use a pole to get him out, he will be afraid of the pole, but not you. Animals can't think and reason the same a human.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

We often read about"new"cats coming from a shelter,who would spend a while under a couch or any safe place,but eventually slowly venture out.
Maybe this little guy crawls down at night when you are sleeping,if you are able to sleep
Did HS say they would help out if he does not come down??
Old January 31st, 2008, 10:51 AM

the humane society doesn't help unless the cat is in real danger, becuase he is eating he's not in danger of starvation. However, they did recommend aaa wildlife but only as a last resort.

I' not sure if he comes down while i sleep, i don't think so because the litter is untouched and the food i put out is not eaten.

sigh
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:29 PM
Kitty pimp

you must determinbe wehther he is eating and pooping if he is then leave him for now if he isnt then you need to get him captured by any means neccessary
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:47 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnikol View Post
the humane society doesn't help unless the cat is in real danger, becuase he is eating he's not in danger of starvation. However, they did recommend aaa wildlife but only as a last resort.

I' not sure if he comes down while i sleep, i don't think so because the litter is untouched and the food i put out is not eaten.

sigh
In the first paragraph you state he is eating, in the second you state he is not. Put out canned food, add a bit of water and form it into a ball, then you can monitor whether he is eating. If he isn't, you have get him out ASAP. Cats can turn anorexic when stressed or sick.

Try different flavours of cat food, Fancy Feast, canned Salmon or Whitefish and Tuna Pate is a favourite with cats. This food is also known as "kitty crack" they love it so much.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:58 PM
proud to be a cat slave

He's eating in the hole, just not down below.

I would say as soon as you can, take the food out of the hole, and have the smelly food down below. It would be awesome if you could lure him to a room and close the door so he wouldn't go back up there, but I'm not sure how you could do that..

I think he needs to learn now that if he wants food, he's going to have to come down for it (unless of course a day goes by without him eating at all - it's too dangerous for a cat to become anorexic).

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:06 PM

I'm just afraid that is i leave food up there he'll never come down on his own accord. I really don't want he to be taken down with a catch pole...but if he doesn't come down soon it might be my only option.
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:19 PM

I am so sorry you are having such a rough time with your new kitty. :sad: Our cat did the same type of thing. We finally used the catch pole and covered the hole. The cat freaked out during the whole catching procedure and was a little apprehensive for a while to come around...however she eventually came around with food and soft voice for encouragement. We've had our cat for almost 14 years now and she is still jumpy. I would say do the catch pole now and cover the hole. It will not harm him...make him mad..yes. The sooner you get him down the sooner he can start to calm down and start to get to know you are a friend and only there to love him. I think by leaving him up there his health could become a factor. I wish you the best of luck!!

I have also gotten cat's out of spaces by playing with them. Try a ball of yarn or rope or something. Throw the end rubbed with catnip on it toward him, getting as close as possible. Even over his head would work...by having it touch his fur it may tempt him to attack it.Then slowly wiggle it and see if he shows any interest. It will take a while for him to move forward due to the trust thing but with the catnip it may make it happen a little faster. If you can hear him pull it without looking in the hole . If you see him get to the edge of the hole I wouldn't say anything or even make eye contact. Just continue to play until he comes out. Try and set an easy way for him to play and get out at the same time. Have something near the hole to cover it up quickly. Move the toy he is playing with as far away from the hole so you have enough time to get to the hole...without having to jump up and scare him back toward it. I know I am rambling but this has worked for me before...it seemed like forever twirling a rope around but once they came out I grabbed them held and pet and spoke to them....It took a few times and alot of scratches but they are great very lovable cats now. Sometimes they just need a little pushy love to let them know how much we care. Good Luck
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:25 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnikol View Post
I'm just afraid that is i leave food up there he'll never come down on his own accord. I really don't want he to be taken down with a catch pole...but if he doesn't come down soon it might be my only option.
He probably won't - so you'll need to not leave the food up there, talk gently to him, and keep the food down below. See if you can lure him with a toy of some sort. Maybe get some treats - see if you can make a trail so he'll come a little closer.

If it doesn't look like he's budged at all since he's been up there, I'm sorry to say that I think your best plan of action is to get the pole. It will bother him for the moments it takes him to get out, but once he's out and in a room it'll be MUCH easier to deal with him under a bed then up there!

Good luck!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old January 31st, 2008, 03:54 PM

Yikes, sorry to hear about your cat troubles! My parent's cat did the same thing, lived up in a crack in the basement ceiling for weeks, though did come down when they weren't around to use the box and eat. Have you tried spraying some of that cat pheromone stuff? It really works to calm cats down, I think the spray works better than the plug in... Another thing that might work if the canned food isn't is some cooked chicken. The smell of this drives my cats wild. Good idea about trying to lure the cat out with toys... I hope something works! I'm sure you've been doing this, but just talk softly in an encouraging voice to the cat, calling for him to come out. I have also gotten cats out of spaces by scaring them out but you would have to come in from the back of the hole. One of mine got into my parent's basement in a hole that led to the bathroom tub on the other side of the wall. She wouldn't come out, so I went and pounded on the tub - it worked! She ran out and my dad grabbed her. If there is a wall on the other side, try knocking on it. Do you have a friend who could come help? Maybe get someone opposite in gender to yourself, in case the cat has a fear of you based on that. Have them try and call the kitty out. If that doesn't work, at least someone would be there to block the hole if you succeeded in scaring him out.
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/669963
Old January 31st, 2008, 05:40 PM

I've thought of a fear based tactic, but I'm hesitant to use it because i don't want to scare him as to never come out.
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:25 PM

well i called the wildlife rescue and they told be they're is nothing they can do. the shaft is too tight for a catch pole and too small for a humane trap. unless he comes out to eat we can perhaps put a tarp outside. but so far he has not come out to eat...we will wait it out. Either he comes out or no food ( i will try this for three days). I'm not sure if i should put the water up there or leave it next to the food outside. Apparently cats can safely g without water for 3 days.

If that doesn't work I'm fresh out of options.
Old January 31st, 2008, 10:49 PM
~Cat Servent~

Have you called the fire department yet? I've seen many stories on the tv where they come and help in these situations. Explain to them that you have exhausted every other option and no one will help you. If I read correctly this poor cat has already gone days with no food or water... if so this is desperate. You have to do something now. No more wait and see. It's time to put holes in the walls.... whatever it takes, get this poor cat out.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 31st, 2008, 11:26 PM

the fire department no longer does cat rescue i called them...

he is eating and drinking, that's not the problem the problem is that he wont come down...

My landlord will not allow me to holes in the ceiling to get him out, trust me if it was my own house i would be tearing up the ceiling.

errr this is so stressful

i'm just going to leave the food at the exit, a cat wont intentionally starve himself to death i mean instinctively he should start searching for food.
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:19 AM

I have sent you a private message.....
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

nnikol,it must be so very heartbreaking for you and nobody willing to help
Not to scare you,but like you say,cats are"stubborn"and can cause themselves to get sick by refusing to eat.
Did the fostermom tell you he is a scaredy-cat?
Since she has no intention of helping,she must not have cared much for this kitty:sad:who knows what went on before he came to you..
But then again,it's not unusual for cats to hide in a new home.
I was also thinking of scaring him outlike banging on the ceiling,but it could be very risky,he could go further in,right?
Or is the spot where he is as far as he can go???
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:24 AM

No he's in as far as he can go, bu I'm not going to ban on the ceiling. I'll cut a hole in the ceiling before that. Well, I put water up there with a few drops of Rescue Remedy and i left a couple of snacks outside to tempt him to come out. All he has to do is come get some nice tuna, fancy feast, Purina temptations. or kibble. Whatever he desires is outside, I'm going to wait it out for three days. If doesn't come down by then well, we'll see what I'll do next.

Thanks for your support guys! I hope my next post is that i got him out.
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:42 AM

Does anyone know any handy men in the east Toronto area or North York area who could do it for lets say under 200$...I think the hole in the ceiling is the only solution, however it must be someone who has experience with this type of thing i don't want just anyone who might hurt my kitty in the process(with those sharp cutting tools).
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

nnikol,I think just the sound of a saw or drill would send him scurrying out,I know it would my cats..
When(not if) he comes out,he will probably find another hidingspot for a while,but anything is better than where he is now..
Every day when I open this post I I'll see HE IS OUT!!!
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:01 AM

Hope all goes well with the ceiling-cutting. Hopefully, as soon as he hears the noise he'll scoot right out of there and there won't be too much damage.
Take him to a vet as soon as you get him out!
Good luck.
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

I think he probably would have had enough stress when he comes out,without also going to the vet right away,unless he seems sick or wounded,give him some time..
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:10 PM

Actually, I agree, chico. After I posted that I regretted saying that last part. Hopefully he'll be fine and just need a little extra time to recover and familiarize himself.
Old February 1st, 2008, 02:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
nnikol,it must be so very heartbreaking for you and nobody willing to help
Not to scare you,but like you say,cats are"stubborn"and can cause themselves to get sick by refusing to eat.
Did the fostermom tell you he is a scaredy-cat?
Since she has no intention of helping,she must not have cared much for this kitty:sad:who knows what went on before he came to you..
Yes, it must be very frustrating not getting any help, can't believe the humane society won't help, thought that was what they were there for.

chico, you are right about that foster mom :sad:, if any adopters of my foster kittens needed any help I would be there in a second to help them with anything. I love them so much.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 1st, 2008, 03:38 PM

I have a lot of experience with cats. A newly adopted cat often finds a place to hide. This cat maybe just shy or very scared and even semi-feral. We have trapped many of those. They often were scared of people and would disappear in the basemnet in the rafters. They had to be trapped. Don't leave any food or water on top. Set up a trap downstairs with sardines in it. Hunger and the smell will surely make him come down. (After he is trapped make sure he cannot get back up there again!). We always use sardines for trapping. I am surprised that no one offered to help you. Good luck and I think this will work.
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:20 PM
~Cat Servent~

Just a thought but maybe tv or local news would do a sort of human interest story... you can tell them how no one you contacted would help. You may even get someone like a contractor to help you if they happen to see the story. If they could run it this weekend, more people would be home to see it too.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:32 PM
-

I also say don't leave any food up there for him and leave some sardines on a plate/bowl below. Most cats love sardines and can't resist the smell. Of course, he will only come down at night when it's dark and quiet so you are going to have to be prepared for that. Good luck.
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:49 PM
~and Trixie 2~

I would scare him out! If you bang on the wall/ceiling long enough he will come out. Just make sure you bang closest to him so he'll run out of the hole!

The day I got Mischa he found a little hole underneath my counter and went inside it. I was SO scared! Luckily he was so tiny and my little brother was at my house with me and he had a small enough hand to pull him out right away! We immediately blocked the hole off and never had to worry since. I cannot imagine how your kitty could be so scared! I agree with everybody tho...the longer he's in there the worse. The sooner you get him out the sooner you can start bonding with him and building trust. I would definitely try banging before drilling a hole. I think it will work and it's worth a shot! How long has it been now since he's been in there? Good luck!! I hope he comes down soon!!!
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:32 AM

Don't cut a hole in your ceiling.
You say you don't want to use scare tactics but this is exactly what it is. As soon as the kitty hears the saw cutting and sees it poking into his tunnel, he'll be out of there in a second- leaving you with a hole in your ceiling for nothing. Instead, just bang on the ceiling and he'll come out just as fast.

You have to make his safe place, not-so-safe. That's the only way he'll come out. He's not going to hate you for this. If your intentions are good, your cat can sense it.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:54 AM

Just out of curiosity, does the hole just REEK like cat pee? He's been in there for days - he must be going somewhere, and it's probably seeping into your walls and stuff.

Update us, please!