Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Thinking of going RAW...

So I'm thinking of going with RAW for Helix- no particular reason, other than I want to try it out for him because I think he may do very well on it! I want to keep him flexible though, and so I would like to do 1/4 kibble (Orijen) per day- just for his morning meal- and the rest RAW.

BTW he is an Alaskan Klee Kai- he is 6 months old right now, and will be about 14 or 15 lbs at his adult weight. He's pretty much full grown now at around 11 lbs- he'll just fill out a bit more.

So here's the plan:

I estimate 2.5% of his adult body weight for raw (the rest will be kibble) so 150 g per day. This can be decreased as he gets older and needs less, or if he simply can't eat it all

One meal per day:

90 g fresh raw meat and bone (chicken thighs, backs or raw meaty bones from beef, bison, vension or lamb- whatever is available and on sale)

15 g organ meat (liver, kidney , heart, tripe from various species)

15 g fish (canned or fresh/ frozen- he loves fish and i know he'll enjoy it for every meal)

30 g veggie, fruit and egg mix (I really want to add veggies - I'm going to blend them with eggs and their shells into a mash- probably with the organ meat and fish too, and then just allot the necessary amount into ziploc bags with the meat/ bone and freeze on a per meal basis)

Now, what am I missing? Does he need supplements of any kind? Should I add more or less of one thing? Should I worry about the amount of bone or calcium he is getting? Let me know what you think!