Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old September 25th, 2006, 03:04 AM

Baby mauled to death by guard dogs

A five-month-old girl died from horrific injuries after being savaged by two Rottweiler dogs guarding a pub.

The animals, trained to act as guard dogs, mauled the baby in the living quarters of the Rocket pub in the New Parks area of Leicester.

It is thought the little girl's parents were looking after the pub - and the animals - when the tragedy happened. The landlord, said to be a close friend of the couple, is believed to be on holiday.

The baby was rushed to Leicester Royal Infirmary shortly before 4pm and died a short time later.

A spokesman for Leicestershire Police confirmed the animals had been taken from the address and had been put down.

Flowers, balloons and teddy bears were left across the entrance to the pub.

Neighbours described the animals as "vicious". One woman, who would not be named, said: "They went for her face, completely ripped her apart. It doesn't bear thinking about. Apparently they dragged her onto the roof. If that was my baby I'd want the animals destroyed, in fact I'd want to do it myself."

Amy Grimbley, who lives on an adjoining street on the inner-city estate, said the dogs were used as security by the landlord and were always kept out of the pub itself.

She said: "The dogs are known to be vicious. They are guard dogs. They stay on the roof during the day and whenever you walk past you get the feeling they could just jump down and attack you." Im so sorry for the family but one thing keeps coming to mind, Where were the parents !!!!!!!!!! and why the hell was a baby anywhere near guard dogs.

Last edited by paula383; September 25th, 2006 at 03:25 AM.
Old September 25th, 2006, 04:16 AM
-

What a sad story. :sad:

But why did the parents allow the dogs into the living quarters? And why would they leave their baby in the same room as the dogs? They were friends of the owner so they obviously knew that these were trained guard dogs. I am sorry for their tragic loss but they really should have known better.
Old September 25th, 2006, 05:44 AM

What a horrific thing to have happen. Even though I know Micky is as gentle as a lamb, when I babysit for my boss, I do not leave the kids alone with him, knowing that wolf dogs have a high prey drive and to wolf dogs, if it runs, it's prey. Although my heart hurts for the parents, this was absolutely avoidable.
Old September 25th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
The dogs are known to be vicious. They are guard dogs. They stay on the roof during the day
WTF?! is this normal compassionate care for one's animals?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:19 AM

there was talk this morning on tv that these dogs should be banned, not that this will happen, but its not the dogs that should be banned its people like this that should be banned from keeping any animal.
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:27 AM

Quote:
The dogs are known to be vicious. They are guard dogs.
One does not equal the other. Guard dogs are not supposed to be vicious all the time.
Old September 27th, 2006, 12:55 PM

On another dog board I hang out at, there was someone who works for a dog magazine and lives in the town and they had more details. Check out k9magazine's post.

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...28&postcount=8

To paraphrase, the dogs were guard dogs who lived on the roof, as previously mentioned, and were "let loose" (into the pub) in case of trouble. They were in a "frenzied state" when they came in through the fire door, probably because they were expecting trouble, like on previous occasions.

Also, the mother's partner owns the dogs and runs the pub. The baby's biological father is the one whose parents were stabbed in an unrelated incident.
Old September 27th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Honest Contributor

what i would like to know is... for guard dogs in a "frenzied state"... did they hurt anyone else except the baby?...

i don't know why they were PTS for doing their job, ie protecting property, which is what they were trained to do. by the baby's own stepfather, no less. Wonder if a person can sue himself?...

Old September 27th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
i don't know why they were PTS for doing their job, ie protecting property, which is what they were trained to do.
And what was the reason for them killing a 5 month old baby?It's not like the baby was breaking into the Pub...Right?..For all we know the baby could have been sleeping.

A well trained guard dog is there to protect property.A well trained guard dog is not trained to maul someone.

I'll use my dog as an example.He is a trained Police Dog(Retired)..He worked with my brother.He is also SchH III titled.He also went through training at the Police K9 Unit.These dogs are trained to "hold" when they are let loose to catch someone.These dogs can do serious damage if they wanted to.But they won't,cause they were not trained that way.Can you imagine all the lawsuits that would be filed if these dogs ripped apart these suspects?

Even with the training my dog has had,he is the most loveable,gentle big suck around..... ...But piss him off,and he will let you know it.
Old September 28th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Honest Contributor

mona my comment had a sarcastic slant... obviously these dogs were BADLY trained and the owner should be held accountable. who's the owner again? oh yeah... the kid's stepfather.

Old September 28th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes poorly trained guard dogs along with stupid parents that is a recipe for disaster. What the hell were they doing downstairs in the pub while there baby is alone upstairs in the living quarters. They are the ones who need to be held accountable. Yes I understand why the dogs were put down but that would have never happened if the parents were watching there child. But nowadays nobody seems to be responsible for there kids, there is always someone or something else to blame.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog