Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 20th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Senior Contributor

moving time!

Hey everyone been awhile since i posted. Been working around my apartment getting stuff cleaned up and organized how i wanted it. Then get a call from my landlord the apartment below us is going to be opening in like three weeks so now i get to pack up and move downstairs lol which isn't to bad. I just wanted some suggestions to get the cats use to their new surroundings i've never moved with cats before. Eclipse is already getting stressed from the all the boxes and attacking his sister/me again i've got bite marks all over myself. Is there anything i could do to make this easier and maybe once we are down there should i keep everyone sepreated till they are more use to the place. Any suggestions be good. Thanks everyone

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:31 AM

Hey MMW I can't remember if you have space right now but it would be good if Eclipse could go into a room without the other cats for a while each day to give him some "down time" away from the action.

Have you tried the phermone sprays? or Rescue Remedy?

For the actual moving day it is always best if you can lock them in 1 room away from the action (also prevents them from escaping the apt), then when you need to move stuff from that room, put them in a different room even if it's just the bathroom, if that isn't an option crate the cats separately (given Eclipse's tendencies on attacking others) not all day but just for the main part of the move.

In the new apt I would suggest also locking them in 1 room for at least half a day after the move so they aren't running all over the place & hiding where you can't find them or bolting for the door. Be sure to check the new apt for any open crawl space type areas/vents/heating ducts & be sure to block access so the cats don't get stuck where they shouldn't be.

for the move

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 20th, 2009, 08:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hey, MWW--just wanted to send for a smooth transition for you and the kitties! No advice, though... My experience with kitties is limited.

Oh, and we'll need pics of the kitties in their new digs when you're all settled in.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:46 AM
Senior Contributor

thats what i figured growler i've been keeping eclipse separate from everyone. he got me good the other day back on antibiotics cause it got infected. *sigh* he's broken a few things with the whole running after everyone thing he has. i was thinking of trying the rescue remedy just haven't gotten to the store yet work has been training lots of new people.

don't worry hazel i'll be showing pics i think stormy may hide the first i don't know six months she's my scared cat anything new it takes her a lot of time to get use to it i'll keep you guys updated i think we're moving in like three weeks or so

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007